Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 6/22/2003 7:49:56 AM EDT
I want to put some kind of Red Dot Sight on my AR15. Here is the question, I have seen a lot of them and they all have different size dots. Some as low as 4 MOA and some as large as 12MOA. What size should I be looking for? And which is the best for durability? Thank you, Phessor
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:12:00 AM EDT
Personaly, I like the Aimpoint ML-2. It is durable, has a long battery life, and co wittnesses well with a standard front and flip up rear sight. With the 4 MOA dot, I am able to hit good tight center mass groups out to 200 meters.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:13:21 AM EDT
I am guessing by the 12 MOA you are talking about the Trijicon Reflex with the triangle reticle? That is very different from a dot that is 12 MOA as it is intended to put the tip of the triangle on the precise spot you want to hit, versus superimposing the triangle over a target for quick reflex shooting. I have a Comp M2 with what I believe is a 4 MOA dot which seems to get slightly bigger as you increase the intensity if the dot... probably the same size as before, you just notice all of the dot more when you turn the setting up. I find this to be a good size as it provide enough coverage to know where your shot is going, but not so large as to obscure most targets. Remember, red dots are for reflex shooting, not precision sniper shots. You have a lot of options out there from the uber expensive ACOG, to the upper mid range Trijicon Reflex and Aimpoint Comp M series, to the mid range OKO, Kobra, ATN, to the low range BSA, Bushnell and Simmons red dots. There are obviously several other choices in each category. What are you willing to spend? For me I would think of nothing less than an Aimpoint, and these can be had used for anywhere from $150 (used last generation Comp M and Comp ML models) to $250ish for the used latest generation CompM2 and CompML2. The most recent generation has extraordinary battery life ranging from 1,000 to 10,000 hours on one battery - depends on your brightness setting. The Trijicon Reflex series uses no batteries, but has drawbacks in the sense that under varying light conditions you can experience wash out. It is nice to not have to rely on batteries, but with the latest generation of Aimpoint that issue kind of fades. If money is an issue, and let's face it more often than not it is, the BSA Red Dot has worked well for many and can be had for under $50. It can be a decent stop-gap until you find the sight you really want and can afford, and can always be thrown on another gun later - such as a 22 rifle or pistol or even shotgun.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:26:25 AM EDT
im using EOTECH 522 and luv it,,it is the only one i have experience with,,also it depends on budget..ya can get a daisy red for 9bux if ya are inclined to do so..lol
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:37:40 AM EDT
I'm on my third BSA red dot. They finally replaced the push button with a brightness knob, which was always the component that broke and a feature I was always complaining about. 5MOA dot. I have the RD30..it's supposed to provide "faster target acquisition"
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:52:33 AM EDT
What is a good starter Red Dot? Any suggestions
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:28:46 AM EDT
coolfly, in my experience, if you buy cheap, you buy often. Do some price checking, save up, and get exacly what you want. A good place to start is the SWFA site in the industry forum.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:33:57 PM EDT
I personally like the Kobra Red Dot Scope with the quick release mount. They were designed for the Russian military, to be used on the AK 47. So that makes them very tough. They now can be bolt with the wever base in two models. One with a quick release, and the other with the sorew on clamp. They sell for about $130.00.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:12:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:44:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:35:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/22/2003 7:38:13 PM EDT by Fenian]
If you're paying retail for the OKO and SC3 or the other cover, you're gonna be into that for about $260 or so...about $30 less than the Aimpoint Comp C, which comes with a mount. I've got Kobra on one of my ARs, and on my SAR 2. For the money, they're hard to beat. There's 4 different reticles, and the dot is very small compared to some other sihts...it won't obscure the black part of an SR1 target at 100 yards, for example. John-Sheridan is right about them being tough, I've knocked mine off my workbench onto the concrete floor without even scratching it...I've seen the OKOs, they're very nice, but I don't think they're as solid as the Kobra. The drawback to the Kobra is that it will sit up kinda high on the flat top; it doesn't look "regulation" if you're going for the authentic US military kinda look. And, you won't be able to use a backup sight, the Kobra will obscure it...hence the recommendation to get the quick release mount.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:33:14 AM EDT
I was able to hit the range just yesterday to try out the OKO on my flattop. It performed very well. It's extremely lightweight and just doesn't seem to be as bulky as the others I've tried. Zeroing the sight was not a problem at all, it required about twelve rounds to adjust the POI onto center at 50m. The model I have came with the 4-moa dot, which is really crisp and doesn't seem to be ringed with "fuzz." I was originally considering an Aimpoint (which IMHO is a top-notch optical sight, regardless of cost), but the problem I've always had with the Aimpoints on my issue M4s is that the on/off knob is constantly turning on/off somehow (from brushing/bumping against it), so I'm always having to glance down to make sure it is either on or off and/or replacing the batteries. If in the future Aimpoint improves on their control knobs, I would definately buy one myself. On the OKO sight, this doesn't appear to be a potential problem as the function knob is somewhat more recessed and requires quite a bit more pressure in manipulation. The only thing negative that I can think of is that I don't have a lot of faith in the polymer housing unit of this sight. Durable or not, I just don't see something made of plastic taking a lot of hits in the field. However, there are steel shroud/mounts available already for it, I'm just waiting for the QR model which should be released for consumers here shortly. Anyway, my initial impressions are that it is quality sight that is ready for range duty as is. However, I personally, would be overly cautious with it in the field without the steel guard. As a sidenote, OKO should consider offering these sights with the steel guards as a set, maybe at a discounted "combo" price.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:20:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2003 10:21:38 AM EDT by 9supercomp]
Well I haven't seen any comment on the C-more's yet. I shoot IPSC/USPSA and have one on my race gun. I like the newest models with the click switch. I have two pistols, one shotgun and 2 AR15's with C-more. The one AR15 has the model with a flip-up rear sight on it. You can use it alone or co-witness or iron only. C-more's are available with dot modules from 4MOA to 12MOA. I just got an OKO, but have not had time to try it out yet.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:56:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 9supercomp: Well I haven't seen any comment on the C-more's yet.
View Quote
Go down to the Optics forum and you will; and generally not very nice comments. Personally I've found the OKO to be a much better execution of the C-More concept.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:46:22 PM EDT
WOW, I've got a C-more on my wilson combat tactical and it's functioned great on many occassions with 1000s of rounds. Also has the rear sight underneath it...in case it ever gets broken or battery dies
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:54:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2003 8:59:36 PM EDT by GIDDS-45]
DocterSight- Expensive, metal, small, glass .....WOW....(I just got mine.....have not put it on a weapon yet. Just got an email from RRA..upper in the mail).....also have a 4moa oko, I would also recommend it.....
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:37:23 AM EDT
Guns4Musenic I've had a C-more on my racegun for 5 years now. I have over 23,000+ rounds thru the firearm and have had no problems with the C-more. On my Remington 1100 for 3 years with over 1,500+ rounds and no problems. On my AR15 (Scope on top and the C-more on the side of the handguard) for 1.5 years with 3,000+ rounds and no problems.
Top Top