Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2018 11:33:06 PM EDT
Red Dot VS Green Dot which do you prefer? What advantage does one have over the other? What do you think of the "Holsun" brand of sight ?

I would like to buy a dot sight but would like to hear from you folks what you have and prefer. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 12:00:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/9/2018 12:01:36 AM EDT by RoadieWingZ]
I have a red/green/blue dot sight and actually use the blue dot mostly. For my eyes, the blue color seems more vivid and less blurry relative to my astigmatism.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 12:19:58 AM EDT
What comes in as blue?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:40:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/9/2018 3:43:51 AM EDT by Capt_Destro]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:
What comes in as blue?
View Quote
PA micro and 30mm iirc.. discontinued sadly.

Could swore one had a rgb variant

I could be wrong.

Nc star and bsa have blue dots.... But eww
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 5:05:38 AM EDT
Holosun 503GU Elite user here. Green dot to me is better.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:30:20 AM EDT
Thanks folks for your replies. I like both the red and green dot optics. Currently I have red dot optics and thought the green dot might work better on some targets that have a red color due to the contrast in color. Do the green dot sights show up better in bright sunlight ?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 4:01:44 PM EDT
I would prefer a green dot... Aimpoint won't make one though, so I don't have one.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 6:35:34 PM EDT
I bought a cheap red/green micro dot sight and I like the red better in most situations. I did notice the green worked good in overcast afternoon light with snow cover. I have no color blindness but given a choice of red or green only I'd probably choose red. I think it is just a matter of personal choice.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 6:45:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MontanaCowboy:
Red Dot VS Green Dot which do you prefer? What advantage does one have over the other? What do you think of the "Holsun" brand of sight ?

I would like to buy a dot sight but would like to hear from you folks what you have and prefer. Thanks
View Quote
Get both and 10 pmags from Palmetto state for 189.99 plus shipping.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/vortex-strikefire-ii-red-dot-optic-ten-magpul-pmag-5-56-30rd-magazines.html
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:04:07 PM EDT
Just got two brand new Sightmarks, one red, one green, both under warranty. Bought one at a gun show for $20, the other from my LGS bargain bin. Little one has worked for a couple years, quit during Texas HTF shoot.

Green seems easier to see during the day.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:12:09 AM EDT
Green for me...
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:07:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ICU:
Green for me...
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:36:34 AM EDT
I'll checkout Palmetto Armory and see what they have. I have it narrowed down to four sights, two red dots and two green dots .
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:13:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By HappyLife_NoWife:

Get both and 10 pmags from Palmetto state for 189.99 plus shipping.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/vortex-strikefire-ii-red-dot-optic-ten-magpul-pmag-5-56-30rd-magazines.html
View Quote
Be careful with the Strikefire II Red / Green dot that Palmetto is advertising with their bundle. The Red / Green dot combo is not as bright as the red dot only Strikefire II. This could be a problem on a bright day.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 9:26:51 AM EDT
Green dots generally come in cheap China made crap optics. My biggest Holosun issue is the amount of dot distortion and bloom. Any astigmatism just makes the dot smear horribly. If you can try a dozen you might find one that does not blow up as much, but they generally suck compared to something expensive like a T2 or M5, or even an EOtech. Holosun is a step up from the no name China made crap, so more like mid level China made crap. If the dots were better I'd buy one for non duty use. Hell, even a cheapy Bushnell TRS25 dot is more crisp, it just has shit battery life.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 2:27:52 PM EDT
I've got a green circle-dot on my Holosun HE515CM, works great for me. Reticule is crisp with no bloom or blurring, and much easier to see in sunlight compared to red.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 3:07:51 PM EDT
I’d look first at brand and then form factor (weight, window, reticle type) before even worrying about color
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 3:39:22 PM EDT
I prefer the red. For me the green tends to blend into foliage in bright environments. That said, I have a handful of friends who use green dots and love them.

I would look at them in person and compare the two, and then decide which one will work best for you.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 4:39:10 PM EDT
I had a thread in this section awhile back comparing Holosun 503GU red to 503GU elite green in various lighting.........when it was all said and done, I returned the greens and ordered more reds, they worked better for me
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:16:20 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting the Holoson HS515CU red dot. It has the 2MOA dot or you can switch to a 65MOA circle with 2MOA dot in the center, kind of the best of both worlds. I'll wait till Labor Day now and see if it goes on sale. Thank all of you for your input. MC
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:21:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DevL:
Green dots generally come in cheap China made crap optics. My biggest Holosun issue is the amount of dot distortion and bloom. Any astigmatism just makes the dot smear horribly. If you can try a dozen you might find one that does not blow up as much, but they generally suck compared to something expensive like a T2 or M5, or even an EOtech. Holosun is a step up from the no name China made crap, so more like mid level China made crap. If the dots were better I'd buy one for non duty use. Hell, even a cheapy Bushnell TRS25 dot is more crisp, it just has shit battery life.
View Quote
Actually Eotech has released a green reticle holo, and Trijicon has released a green dot MRO......
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:44:20 PM EDT
Green is definitely more visible during the day but sacrifices battery life drastically.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:59:10 PM EDT
Red dot for optic, green laser.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:06:40 PM EDT
Not much red in the outdoors but lots of green. Green Dot can get lost in foliage. I choose red.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:13:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/15/2018 11:18:30 AM EDT by logan10]
Originally Posted By nada:
Red dot for optic, green laser.
View Quote
This. I have 2 Holosun. One tube type and the other reflex. Both are gtg including crisp dots, circles, etc. Reflex (HS510C) has a sizable window which I really like but weighs in at a hefty 8+ ounces. Two other sources indicate 9.31 oz. No biggie.
Top Top