Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2009 8:00:48 PM EDT
Ok I know this is a dangerous topic to post but im exloring this from a different mindset here than the typical AR guy. Im use to caring for my AKs and handguns for the most part, yes theres others but those get the most use. So from my experience a little lithium grease on slide rails of my handguns, major contact points of my AKs, and some light Rem. oil on other parts and for corrosion protection covers it all.
Ok heres my thinking. Most of the good lube info ive got is the military maintenance manual reccomended to me and it had alot of good stuff in it. But it got me thinking. Is the reason that everyone swears by CLP because of the military manual? And if so with the military being the way they are, is it possible that they went with a multi use product for convence? You know because in the field it would make sense but is that necessarily the best that we could use with all the products available? Im just exploring here because I dont know, but wouldnt some of the high tension areas around the back of the bold for example bennefit from something like some grease or heavier oil? I wont be offended to hear that my thoughts are way off because like I said I have zero experience with ARs Im just trying to gain the knowledge for when my parts arrive. If this CLP stuff is the abesolute $hit Ill use it with glee, Im just brainstorming here. So what do you guys think? Also I kinda like to know why and how about everything. So if some of you guys could educate me on some of this I would appreciate it. And no bickering over what someone thiks is the only product to use please, everyones oppinion is welcome.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ok I know this is a dangerous topic to post

Might choose something less controversial, like whether chili has beans.
but im exloring this from a different mindset here than the typical AR guy. Im use to caring for my AKs and handguns for the most part, yes theres others but those get the most use. So from my experience a little lithium grease on slide rails of my handguns, major contact points of my AKs, and some light Rem. oil on other parts and for corrosion protection covers it all.

Rem Oil is crap and terrible for corrosion protection which is what you are using it for. Aerosol Break Free would be a much better choice for a lighter weight protectant oil.  As for ARs, the heavy lithium greases aren't a good choice.
Ok heres my thinking. Most of the good lube info ive got is the military maintenance manual reccomended to me and it had alot of good stuff in it. But it got me thinking. Is the reason that everyone swears by CLP because of the military manual?

Well, that and it does work pretty good as a general purpose product for firearms maintenance.
And if so with the military being the way they are, is it possible that they went with a multi use product for convence?

Only need three letters to confirm that... "ACU"
You know because in the field it would make sense but is that necessarily the best that we could use with all the products available? Im just exploring here because I dont know, but wouldnt some of the high tension areas around the back of the bold for example bennefit from something like some grease or heavier oil?

Now you're stepping into controversy but some of the high wear points will do better with a different lube IMO.
I wont be offended to hear that my thoughts are way off because like I said I have zero experience with ARs Im just trying to gain the knowledge for when my parts arrive. If this CLP stuff is the abesolute $hit Ill use it with glee, Im just brainstorming here. So what do you guys think? Also I kinda like to know why and how about everything. So if some of you guys could educate me on some of this I would appreciate it. And no bickering over what someone thiks is the only product to use please, everyones oppinion is welcome.

I think what's more important than the exact lube that you use is that you consistently use enough of it.  The heavy grease products aren't really appropriate for an AR but the lightweight greases like TW25b are great, as is CLP, Slip2000, and lots of other products.

Link Posted: 2/22/2009 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok thanks for the info there, Asside from not knowing what "ACU" means Yea the Rem oil I just havent managed to use up yet but im planning to move to a different product when I do or maby sooner. I just saw an old thread that poped up that covers alot of this stuff also. I think Ill save my Lubriplate for my cinder block busters (AKs) and check out some new products for a change. I do need some better protectant for some of my safe queens and especially for my 1st generation rustsalot finish XD9. Rem oil has done be wrong now that I think about it I must be really cheap to keep using that crap. It also gumms up my Python if it sets to long without stroking  the action.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I use CLP and FP-10.

For cleaning I use a product called Powder Blast, also by Break Free like CLP, it is outstanding.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I use CLP and FP-10.

For cleaning I use a product called Powder Blast, also by Break Free like CLP, it is outstanding.

What type of product is FP-10 in contrast to CLP? Is it a heavier or thinner oil? What applications do you use it in?
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 11:39:06 AM EDT
[#5]
This is an interesting topic as there are so many opinions regarding weapon lubrication.  I believe you are correct when you said that the military adopted CLP as a logistics friendly item and it makes sense for them to reduce the number of items that have to be carried in inventory.  It probably can be sated that CLP is the best all in one product.  I personally like BF CLP for it's intended purpose but I also supplement this lubricant with a light coat of high termperature wheel bearing grease on the BCG sliding rails.  If you are firing your weapon in high ambient temperatures, you might consider using synthetic motor oil, rather than CLP as the former will tend to beter maintain it's viscocity and lubricating properties.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use CLP and FP-10.

What type of product is FP-10 in contrast to CLP? Is it a heavier or thinner oil? What applications do you use it in?

I'm no tribologist, but it's thicker, and I prefer it for lubrication and corrosion resistance. I don't think it's as good at cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use CLP and FP-10.

I'm no tribologist, but it's thicker, and I prefer it for lubrication and corrosion resistance. I don't think it's as good at cleaning.

Thanks 87GN. BTW thats a kick ass 68 mustang in your profile pic. I really like the mods made to it. I hope for your sake thats your car.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use CLP and FP-10.

Thanks 87GN. BTW thats a kick ass 68 mustang in your profile pic. I really like the mods made to it. I hope for your sake thats your car.

It is indeed. Normally my daily driver, down for a new camshaft at the moment. Oh, and I use Royal Purple in it
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I use MILITEC

Was advised from 2 marine snipers that it collects less dust and dirt than clp

I have had no issues with militec and seems to make things operates a bit smoother.

everyone has there own opinions like with cars ( ford, dodge, chevy) best beer, best whiskey.

It can go anywhere with opinion

my $0.02 goes to MILITEC
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 4:26:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Personally, I think Breakfree CLP is inferior to many other products as a LUBRICANT, but is the best for all round use.  I think that that of the 3 purposes (CLP), Breakfree is best as "P"reservative, but falls behind on the "C"leaning and certainly the "L"ubing functions.

My cleaning kit consists of Breakfree CLP which I use for general cleaning, preserving, and areas that require light lubrication; Hoppes #9 which I use to clean bores; Sweets 7.62 which I rarely use to REALLY clean bores, and a high quality lubricant for areas that are susceptible to a lot of friction such as BCG and certain pistol areas.

For a high quality lube, I am going to try Breakfree LP next, currently I use Militech-1 or a locally made teflon based lube, but I believe that a good lube has to be thicker than Breakfree CLP because the cleaning agent in this stuff doesn't stay put well enough and tends to dry up.

Now, if I had to choose just one product to do it all, then Breakfree CLP would be the one, but there are other products out there which do a better job for the "C" & "L" of "CLP".

Just my opinion based on experience.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use MILITEC

I have had no issues with militec and seems to make things operates a bit smoother.

everyone has there own opinions like with cars ( ford, dodge, chevy) best beer, best whiskey.

my $0.02 goes to MILITEC

Link Posted: 2/23/2009 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Slip 2000 bore cleaner then their EWL.  I am a younger generation of shooter so i cannot say that i have used any product for years and continue to use because it has never let me down.  What i can say about it is that it was worked very well for me and everyone else at the range i shoot at.  We all use slip 2000 products and most of the older generation of shooters have converted over.  
I know that no one probably cares about this next part... but i do... All the Slip 2000 products are non-toxic and 100% biodegradable(just something we can do to help our mother planet)
andways... i love it
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Slip 2000 bore cleaner then their EWL.  I am a younger generation of shooter so i cannot say that i have used any product for years and continue to use because it has never let me down.  What i can say about it is that it was worked very well for me and everyone else at the range i shoot at.  We all use slip 2000 products and most of the older generation of shooters have converted over.  
I know that no one probably cares about this next part... but i do... All the Slip 2000 products are non-toxic and 100% biodegradable(just something we can do to help our mother planet)
andways... i love it

+1000 I threw out all my CLP and only use Slip 2000 products now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Breakfree LP generously on the bolt carrier group.
Breakfree CLP lightly on the firing pin.
Breakfree CLP everywhere else.

Problems solved.

Ask QUIB, he'll tell you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 4:42:53 AM EDT
[#16]
In order of which I like to use Tetra Gun>MPro 7>Break Free
Link Posted: 3/17/2009 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been using  Balistol  and  TW25 for most of my needs, because they are supposed to be non-toxic. They both have worked well , but I am now , just starting to use Slip EWL( again because of being non-toxic ). Seems like a good number of people are using it with success , we will see how it pans out.

Hope this helps.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:07:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use MILITEC

my $0.02 goes to MILITEC

13 years Marine Corps here.  Last deployment to Iraq we brought Militec.  Worked GREAT and FAR better than CLP.  Doesn't attract dirt like CLP does.  Makes cleaning easier.  

We clean with CLP and oil the outside metal of the weapon with CLP.  The inside is lubed sparingly with Militec.  Deploying again this year and my PLT is taking Militec that we have purchased for ourselves.  It's not authorized but it flat works.  

Militec is not a good rust preventative so we use CLP for that.  Of course, rust isn't a big problem in the Middle East for the most part.

I use Militec on all my ARs since 2004.  Works especially good on SAWs because SAWs collect dust easily.

There are lots of other good cleaners and lubes out there.  Militec has worked for me and my troops.  I trust it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Gunzilla for cleaning and general purpose lube, than tetra grease for the critical areas!
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#20]
High temp wheel bearing grease.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#21]
My personal favorites are: Slip 2000 Carbon Cutter for the bolt and bolt carrier, RB 17 for the copper and lead in the bore (for heavy fouling) and then Slip 2000 Lubricant-Cleaner-Presertavtive on everything. I don't know what's in it but the Slip 2000 LCP is biodegradable and will soak into the metal, making actions much smoother and subsequent cleaning much easier.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I use lithium grease on the rails and can pin area. Use clp for bolt and if I shoot enough ammo and it starts getting sluggish I just throw some more clp in the exhaust holes. Been doing this for forever and havnt had a problem.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I drink the Slip 2000 kool-aid and use all of their products for my weapon cleaning & lubrication needs.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#24]
My son just got back from a year in the sandbox.  He took Militec and used it over there.  He swears by it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#25]
No everyone should use this product from me.  In addition to Break Free CLP I like Tetra Gun, MPro 7 and G97 Complete Gun Treatment.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:23:53 AM EDT
[#26]
can you use CLP and Militec together?

Edit:  First post on page two, woooot!
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:32:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Count me in on militec too.  I see a lot of hate on here about it but not really sure why?  Probably most of the people that talk down on it have never used it and have no real facts to support it...just parroting what someone else said.  At qualifications last week, a co workers gun was so dry it wouldn't strip a round from the magazine into the chamber.  A drop of militec in the 3 holes in the bolt and she was back running.  I will agree that militec sucks for preventing rust but for keeping your gun running, it works.  Everyone has their favorite lube and thinks its the best.  As long as you are using something to keep your gun wet is all that counts.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#28]
would you guys suggest different products for piston uppers
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#29]
complete ar duching in corrosion x let it sit go shooting clean duch again ect ,ect but a gallon for a $100 and put in oil can gtg
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top