Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/21/2014 3:26:47 PM EDT
Looking for an optic for an SPRish/MK 12ish/Recceish inspired build.

Ive got an 18" SS Noveske with an NSR rail on this upper and Im looking for some glass recommendations.  Ive got about a grand give or take to put into the optic, not including mount and what to know what I should consider.  This will be my do it all rifle.  

-  I'd like to get up to at least 6/8x
-  Doesnt need to be 1x
-  Want something fairly lightweight/low pro (not a very large objective)

What do you guys/gals think?

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Nightforce 2.5-10x32 if you can swing it. Look for a clean used one if not.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nightforce 2.5-10x32 if you can swing it. Look for a clean used one if not.
View Quote

How would that compare to a Leupold Mark 4 mr/t m2 2.5-8x36?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Better glass, better adjustments, more robust. Illumination is standard. Same bottom end magnification, more top end.

It's actually available in Mil/Mil or Moa/Moa so your reticle matches your turrets. This is the most important thing to me between these two.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Better glass, better adjustments, more robust. Illumination is standard. Same bottom end magnification, more top end.

It's actually available in Mil/Mil or Moa/Moa so your reticle matches your turrets. This is the most important thing to me between these two.
View Quote

Im a noob when it comes to magnified optics, can you explain that in more detail for me?  Does the Leupold not have matching elevation and windage adjustments?  Could you maybe give a pros/cons list?  Is the price increase worth the improvements?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#5]
For the longest time scopes in the US were found with mil dot (or Mil-based) reticles and MOA turrets. Why, who knows. The rest of the world was using matching systems which require no math to translate what the reticle reads to the turrets. More on that here. Most optics companies are moving to Mil/Mil systems now. Of all the major optics players for the US market Nikon is really the only one left that doesn't offer a mil/mil scope. Leupold does offer them but only in select models.

Some people will say its not a big deal but why make it harder than it has to be. I myself will never buy another scope that doesn't match. There's no point in going backwards.

Leupold MRT Pros:

Lightweight
Good warranty/cust service
Pretty good glass

Cons:
Small magnification range
Mismatched turrets
Illumination not standard

Nightforce Pros:

Available in mil/mil or moa/moa
More reticle options
Illumination standard
NF rep for being bulletproof
NF rep for unbeatable return to zero and tracking
Available with Zero Stop
Better glass
More magnification range
Good warranty & CS

Cons:
More expensive
Little heavier
Might be a little harder to locate one in stock
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For the longest time scopes in the US were found with mil dot (or Mil-based) reticles and MOA turrets. Why, who knows. The rest of the world was using matching systems which require no math to translate what the reticle reads to the turrets. More on that here. Most optics companies are moving to Mil/Mil systems now. Of all the major optics players for the US market Nikon is really the only one left that doesn't offer a mil/mil scope. Leupold does offer them but only in select models.

Some people will say its not a big deal but why make it harder than it has to be. I myself will never buy another scope that doesn't match. There's no point in going backwards.

Leupold MRT Pros:

Lightweight
Good warranty/cust service
Pretty good glass

Cons:
Small magnification range
Mismatched turrets
Illumination not standard

Nightforce Pros:

Available in mil/mil or moa/moa
More reticle options
Illumination standard
NF rep for being bulletproof
NF rep for unbeatable return to zero and tracking
Available with Zero Stop
Better glass
More magnification range
Good warranty & CS

Cons:
More expensive
Little heavier
Might be a little harder to locate one in stock
View Quote

Wow, nice!

How much over my original budget am I looking at?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Probably 500-600. But I would have no problem buying a used NF to save $.

ETA: Some other less expensive options staying with similar specs.

Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP- Pro: Small and relatively light weight. Some say its the best PST to date. $700

Weaver Tactical  2-10x36 FFP- Con: Pretty heavy for what it is but great glass. ~$700

If you are willing to go with a little longer scope the SWFA SS 3-15x42 is a great scope for an SPR. $700 Here is one on an 18" AR of mine.(I do have a NF on a bolt gun though)

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:44:17 AM EDT
[#8]
So Im assuming with the Nightforce, the preferred reticle is mildot?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:24:25 AM EDT
[#9]
A mildot would be fine with mil adjustments. I prefer the mil-r but its a little busy if you're not used to using a mil based reticle. If MOAR reticle if you are going with moa adjustments.

http://www.eurooptic.com/nightforce-nxs-25-10x32-zerostop-1-mil-radian-mil-r-c478.aspx
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A mildot would be fine with mil adjustments. I prefer the mil-r but its a little busy if you're not used to using a mil based reticle. If MOAR reticle if you are going with moa adjustments.

http://www.eurooptic.com/nightforce-nxs-25-10x32-zerostop-1-mil-radian-mil-r-c478.aspx
View Quote

Whats the difference between mil-dot and mil-r?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#11]
The mildot has round dots that are spaced at 1 mil intervals.

The mil-r has hash marks spaced at one half mil intervals. It is broken down in half the increments to allow for more precise elevation and wind holds. There is also a secondary ranging scale that is broken down into 1/10 mil increments. It is located in the lower right hand portion of the reticle. Honestly I could do without this feature because I range everything with a laser rangefinder.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The mildot has round dots that are spaced at 1 mil intervals.

The mil-r has hash marks spaced at one half mil intervals. It is broken down in half the increments to allow for more precise elevation and wind holds. There is also a secondary ranging scale that is broken down into 1/10 mil increments. It is located in the lower right hand portion of the reticle. Honestly I could do without this feature because I range everything with a laser rangefinder.
View Quote

Not sure, with my noobness, I would notice the difference.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#13]
If I did head this direction, what sort of mounting system should I use?
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#14]
NF 2.5-10x24 meets all your requirements. It's a bit over your budget but since it is only available to Mil it holds it's value real well. I have one in the EE with LT mount, work a good deal for you.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
NF 2.5-10x24 meets all your requirements. It's a bit over your budget but since it is only available to Mil it holds it's value real well. I have one in the EE with LT mount, work a good deal for you.
View Quote

Is the 2.5-10x24 an older model?  Im only seeing x32's anywhere now...
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#16]
They don't offer it for civilian sales anymore. I would rather have the 32mm anyways because it will have a more forgiving eyebox at high power. Actually I'd rather have the 42mm but your OP said you wanted it to be compact. One downside (for me) with the 42mm is it has a side focus.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They don't offer it for civilian sales anymore. I would rather have the 32mm anyways because it will have a more forgiving eyebox at high power. Actually I'd rather have the 42mm but your OP said you wanted it to be compact. One downside (for me) with the 42mm is it has a side focus.
View Quote

In terms of relief?
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#18]
32mm with have more Exit Pupil than a 24mm. It shouldn't affect the eye relief but it will affect how sensitive the sight picture is on 10x.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
32mm with have more Exit Pupil than a 24mm. It shouldn't affect the eye relief but it will affect how sensitive the sight picture is on 10x.
View Quote

Yes, the x24 is pretty sensitive at 10x, but this is the small price you pay for a high quality 2.5-10 optic that is packaged in a small 1-4 sized casing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:40:31 AM EDT
[#20]
So I may be considering this optic.  If I do what sort of mount do I go with?  One piece or rings and why?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top