Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/6/2006 10:01:06 AM EDT
I am going with an A3 upper CAR kit, which has a fixed front sight.  I decided not to go with the scope because its so expensive to buy a scope, mount/rings.  What do you guys recommend to use (brand and model) of a rear flip sight or carry handle that would work with the A3 fixed front sights.  Thanks

ALso, if you could point me in the right direction to obatin these parts, I would really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#2]
As a backup sight, KAC 300 meter would be my first choice, ARMS 40L my second choice. Since you will have no optics, you will probably want a more full featured sight than the KAC 300. So I would say the KAC 600 or ARMS.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=206233

c'mon now...
hr

I know what a BUIS is and where to find some of them.  I was looking for personal insight on what users prefer.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#4]
For no optics, use a LMT  BUIS or a full carry handle.  Nothing that folds, it defeats the prupose and is one more thing to break.  They are fully adjustable for windage and elevation, and and sturdy as they get.  Plus they can never get knocked into the down postition when you might need them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a BUIS. A carry handle can never be used with optics. If you are unsure that you will ever use optics, a LaRue fixed sight costs the same as a carry handle, is actually tougher, and you can still put an unmagnified optic in front of it someday.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#6]
can't use a carry handle as a BUIS?

Where did LMT get the idea?

BUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

You can always chop it off, later.  

But I agree with CombatJack, LMT or LaRue or  even DPMS has a fixed A2 style BUIS.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Use the full carry handle now. It will protect the rail on the receiver.
When you buy a red dot cut the handle.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Sure, but it's an inferior product to starting with the LMT buis or the LaRue buis.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Buy an LMT BUIS and then a $10 rail cover.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I am thinking of dumping my EOTech and was thinking the same thing...

That LMT rear sight is nice.  I have a GG&G fold down rear sight on the RRA I keep the EOtech on.  My other AR has a DPMS non folding rear sight tower and I haven't decided yet if I am going to mount something on it...

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
... a LaRue fixed sight costs the same as is cheaper than a carry handle, is actually tougher, and you can still put an unmagnified optic in front of it someday.

Fixed it for ya.

New LaRue BUIS is about $89
New Quality (Bushmaster/LMT/Stag) carry handle is about $110 (give or take).
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Wiser words have never been spoken…………well ok, maybe they have. But this is not a bad idea. It’s actually how my BUIS’s have progressed.

First there was the Carry Handle mounted to my M4gery…sorry no pics.

Then there was the purchase of an EOTech. What should I do for a BUIS? Why a CCH BUIS of course!

Then there was the sale of the EOTech and CCH BUIS and the purchase of the Aimpoint and the MATECH.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sure, but it's an inferior product to starting with the LMT buis or the LaRue buis.

And please, explain to us all why you find the CCH BUIS inferior to the LMT BUIS?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a carry handle, LMT, KAC 300 m BUIS and ladder rail protectors for my carbines.

My carry handle is usually not used and in my spares box, I just use it for aligning my top rails and a backup just in case my other BUIS get damaged.

I'm now finding out that my LMT is maybe too much for my carbine because I don't really need the elevation adjustment on it, I'll just put it on my 20" flat top rifle that I'm building now.

I'm planning on getting the LaRue BUIS to replace my LMT, other good models are the Troy and ARMS 40L.

I would also recommend getting Magpul or equivalent brand ladder rail protectors.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And please, explain to us all why you find the CCH BUIS inferior to the LMT BUIS?

Mostly because the LMT was designed as a standalone. It is built to be that way, requires no work or refinishing, is stronger (almost a non-issue) and to my understanding comes with same plane apertures. I never shot mine at far enough distance to confirm the last.

Basically, why hack up a carry handle when you can just buy the LMT?

Or, why put target sights on a carbine?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mostly because the LMT was designed as a standalone. It is built to be that way, requires no work or refinishing, is stronger (almost a non-issue) and to my understanding comes with same plane apertures. I never shot mine at far enough distance to confirm the last.

Basically, why hack up a carry handle when you can just buy the LMT?

Or, why put target sights on a carbine?

With the exception of the small web in front of the LMT the design is identical as the CCH. Same Knob as the CCH and attaches to the same amount of rail as the CCH. So how can it be stronger?

Why hack up a carry handle? Well because if I was to re-sell my CH I would not re-coup near enough to off set the cost of a good, proven BUIS. So my best option was to cut my CH.

Why put target sights on a carbine? Ok, why even have a CH then that incorporates the A2 sights?

The CCH BUIS is a viable option for someone looking for a BUIS who currently has a CH and wants a BUIS that is always deployed. If they don’t have a CH to chop, but like the features of the LMT then yes by all means buy an LMT.

Again, where do you think LMT got the design idea from?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#17]
ARMS 40L
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#18]
DPMS fixed rear sight is as good or better than any and cheaper, it's A-2 configured with two crossbolts instead of one. Never had a problem with mine.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:38:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
ARMS 40L

Simple as that.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#20]
LMT is very nice and sturdy if dont want to chop up a carry handle. I've dropped my rifle directly onto it a couple times without even losing finish
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#21]
QUIB, I agree, if you have a carry handle and you need a shorter sight, the saw is a good option. However, if you have the choice of a carry handle or an LMT/LT buis from the start, might as well choose the one with less work involved.

My understanding is that the poster doesnt have either at the moment, and had not considered chopping a carry handle down.

And yeah, the chopmod was an NSW development, the way I heard it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I've always used ARMS 40s but on the build I'm doing now I'm trying out the YHM folding rear BUIS.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Only one I'd consider... Troy Battle Sight
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Only one I'd consider... Troy Battle Sight

.....with extra windage built into which ever side it leans.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top