Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2003 10:31:49 PM EDT
I've about beaten a dead horse with this, but here's what I have FINALLY decided upon doing.

I currently am in possesion of a V-match 16" carbine upper. Since I don't think a perfectly good barrel for shooting Q3131A should go to waste, this is what I will do:

1. Send upper to KKF or someone to have the barrel shaved down to a M4 contour.
2. Remove aluminum handguard and replace with an ARMS 50 SIR OR PRI carbine handguard (whichever is better).
3. Install the KKF "Limiter S" brake.
4. Install a PRI or GG&G flip-up front sight (my current gas block is milled down).

Any more recommendations are welcomed.

I think I should go with the flip-up front sight over a fixed sight just for the sake of using optics. It's already a flattop anyway, and I'll be using an optic 99% of the time anyway.

Also, I'm not sure about the handguard yet. It seems that everyone is pro-SIR. I assume it holds up the best of the bunch, but it seems that a free floated handguard is a more secure way to attach a handguard to a rifle. Am I wrong or paranoid? I just get worried when you have to Loc-Tite a rail onto the flattop, and that's your primary anchor of support for the entire rail.

I decided against a SPR clone because I shoot Q3131A ammo and similiar. I'm too tight nor do I have the time or place to shoot 200+ yard distances with match grade ammo. It's expensive (the ammo), and I really have no perceived need for what a real SPR does at this time. My needs are those of a defense type carbine and just a fun rifle for the range out to 100-200 yards. I just want to improve upon it to reduce its weight and enhance its versatility. I think the configuration above does that pretty well.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Id get a FF RAS over the PRI tube but the SIR reservations are unfounded.  It IS a free float tube system and it attaches at the upper and barrel nut.  If you are going for an Aimpoint Id get a SIR if you went with a magified optic Id get a FF RAS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top