Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2004 5:05:12 AM EDT
Following the advice of one of the members here I decided to write up a list of what I am looking for in a scope for my M4.  Its not much but here goes....

I want to have a scope that I can acquire targets very quickly ( sorry if this sounds cheesy)
I want some magnification if possible
I would prefer something rugged and durable (able to take a few bumps and dings)
I want something compact
I want to spend less than $500
I would like it to be accurate at at least 100 yards
It needs to be able to mount to a A3 flat top

What would you recommend?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Not to be a smart ass but I would suggest you save your money for a TA31 ACOG with the "Donut of Death" recticle.  There is a group buy planned for November.  

Regards,

Gary
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#2]
None taken.  I am sure that is a wonderful recommendation given the proper funds, but as I said before I cant spend more than $500 on a scope.  ( this is due mainly to the wife) but also I cant see myself spending that much on a scope unless its for a 50 BMG....  Thanks anyway though...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Hakko TacPoint
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I just checked out that scope, it looks like you can pick one up for about $100 bucks.   How good is the quality of something like that??  Do you have one yourself?  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Given your financial restrictions, I'd give up on magnification and go with an Aimpoint or EOTech.  They are more than sufficent in hitting a man size target at 200 yards with old eyes.

PS...I'm old so I can say this.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Jivana108,

I think that either an Aimpoint ML2 & EOTech rev F meet and exceed all of your requirements.  The only thing they don't have is magnification.  

Regarding magnification, you presented your accuracy requirement in the context of 100 yards performance.

I would like it to be accurate at at least 100 yards

At 100 yards and even 200 yards, the two optics I mentioned will be extremely accurate.  By the time you are shooting at 300 yards and beyond you will probably want a different optic with more magnification and external, easily-adjusted windage and elevation knobs.  But at the same time, at these extended ranges you probably want a rifle rather than an M4 carbine.  You will also be wanting to shoot heavier bullets (75 to 80 grain) in a fast twist barrel, as well.

Neither of the optics I mentioned have any magnification but they will do everything you want.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#8]
 Take a look at the Simmons 1.5-5x 20mm turkey or shotgun scope.  80' fov, rugged, diamond reticle fast close-in, xhairs for distance.  $90 at Midway.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Aimpoint or EOTech. A 2X Mini ACOG would be great but would sink your budget.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top