Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 10:57:54 AM EDT
I've got the funds together for an MWS and need to decide on an optic.  I'm looking to spend less than $1k, and the farthest my range will go is 300 yards.  I would like to be able to shoot farther if the opportunity arises.  I'd say maximum range i'll be shooting is 600 yards.  What would you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Is an illuminated reticle important? Are you comfortable with mil-based reticles or do you prefer a BDC? Do you need a ranging stadia reticle or are you comfortable with holdovers? Is a low power end for up close shooting important to you? Is this an optic you intend to use in a class/Shtf scenario of just range time and hunting?

For an in close to 300yds optic I would choose a Trijicon TR24 with a QR mount setup

For midrange out to 600yds (and if an Illuminated reticle is not important) SWFA SS 3-9x40 FFP and the mount of your choice

Those are just my opinions. Ive owned TR24 and I love it if I'm shooting >300 yds. I am Saving up for a Trijicon TA11 ACOG with the green horseshoe reticle for my MWS. My Practical range distances mirror yours.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:44:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Do what the Brits are doing with their LMT MWS and put a 6x ACOG on it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:07:36 AM EDT
[#3]
ACOG TA11...can be had for around 1k. Mine wears one and I'm very happy with it.  If I wanted to shoot small groups 300yds plus, I'd want something else though.  But I wanted a battle optic on a battle rifle.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Agree, if you are thinking battle rifle, stay at or below 10x, if you are thinking about competition or prcision work, you may need to narrow down the type of game you will be playing to get better advice.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#5]
used ACOG TA11
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I want it outfitted as a battle rifle but with capability to hit silhouettes at 600m
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top