Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/20/2003 8:35:41 AM EDT
This might have been discussed in the past but I can't find anything when I ran a search.

What are the pros and cons of these receivers. Is one better than another?

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:35:14 AM EDT
I have both. They will both function fine. The rifle wont be able to tell a difference between a Rock River lower and a Bushmaster lower; however, the rock river lower is machined "smoother". I dont say it's built better, because both function just fine. The RRA has less forging* lines and such, a very smooth peice. Below the front pivot pin hole the BM is... "nastier". The RRA is just a smooth transition from the cut into the receiver. The holes line up on both. No complaints. The color on each is rich. No complaints. The RRA has less forging lines and is overall smoother than the BM. The RRA took over three months to receive. This is a very common problem with RRA prodcuts. Almost everyone waits for an order. 2 weeks = three months. Bushmaster fulfills orders much quicker. I think it was worth the wait, even though the rifle wont function a damn bit different. I like the receiver; it looks flawless. *Behind the grip of my bushy their is a thick line, the RRA is smooth there. I beleive the line is on all forged receivers, but RRA machined it off so it would have a better look. I think...
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:39:34 AM EDT
Ill say Bushmaster over Oly, only cause these are the two that I own. lol.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:13:19 PM EDT
Functionally, they are both excellent. The Bushmaster lettering is much nicer. The Bushmasters had a richer finish on the last set of recivers I examined. That is all I have ever noticed. I assume you are talking about lowers. As far as the upper receivers, the Bushmasters have the dry lub if that is worth anything to you.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:58:42 PM EDT
Bushmaster is the best of the two. [;)] TG
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:11:39 PM EDT
I rather prefer the Rock River arms, having seen both types. Both are as mil-spec as I'll ever care, but Bushmasters have more forging lines, the finishes are lighter, and not as smooth. There's also the infamous purple problem with Bushmasters; I haven't yet seen a purple RRA. The roll marked RRA "logo" is very professional and discreet. No need for mascots. Lastly, the Rock River Arms can be had a lot cheaper; not as much brand-name baggage to jack up the price. My $0.02
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:17:36 PM EDT
I have both. I prefer the black finish on the RRA then the purple look of the BM. Yes, the lettering on the RRA looks kinda shabby but do you want a snake on your reciever? I think it's knida gay. Sorry to guys and girls with snake tattos. Both are geat lowers. No problems with either, just would choose another RRA over BM.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:05:55 PM EDT
BM and RRA lowers are manufactured by the same people.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:59:13 PM EDT
Not a valid point in my opinion...the Chevy Cavalier and the Corvette are manufactured by the same people too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:41:27 AM EDT
I have both. Both are great. Top Notch either way.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:39:20 AM EDT
Eagle has RRA receivers for under a $100, and are in stock. I was just over there the other day and pick up another receiver (never can have enough spares). Chris was having a big sale, and got the receiver for under $90. Look over in the Industry Community for his web site.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:03:03 AM EDT
Go with RRA 'cause I said so. j/k They're both great rifles. You'll save $ if you go with RRA.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:57:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By storminnorman: BM and RRA lowers are manufactured by the same people.
View Quote
I doubt it. Maybe they get the raw forgings from the same place, but there aren't that many forges to pick from. I'm pretty sure all of the actual machining is done in-house by both manufacturers. They're certainly done in different ways.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:58:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By storminnorman: BM and RRA lowers are manufactured by the same people.
View Quote
What storminnorman said. They are made by the SAME company! Continental Machine tools or New Britain. [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=170138&w=searchPop[/url] HUNTER.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:03:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2003 10:15:16 AM EDT by underdog75]
OMFG!...You mean a Bushy .vs RRA thread that doesnt degrade into a "Bushmaster rules" rant!...One word,...GOOD!....IMHO if RRA offered 1:7 twist and Chromed all there bores...Everyone would quickly be saying "bushmaster who?"....Go with the Rockriver and get it from one of the suppliers on the EE to cut out the wait time.........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:36:20 AM EDT
I have both BM and RRA the BM has a Mil-spec coating the RR I do not know what coating they have on it but the lower on the RRA is machined very well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:11:13 PM EDT
Bush is the most Mil spec receiver. RRA is not. RRA is not REG. DIAS compatible. GG
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:20:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2003 2:21:54 PM EDT by DOA]
Buey, how many RDIAS' do you see in an M16?? BM doesn't make a mil-spec reciever either, and the shelf can be milled on the RRA. If I had an RDIAS, I'd choose the BM, but since I don't, I'd rather save some $$$ and get the RRA.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:12:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2003 3:20:28 PM EDT by BallisticTip]
Bushy is my favorite, tried an Eagle Arms(Armalite) and like also. RR also looks good, but have not tried one. [img]http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/18081/p/523369_2279104869372443278_vl.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:25:46 PM EDT
stamping on my RR lower is weak, but the finish is great. "LAR-15" has the "L" a little half-assed.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:36:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2003 6:39:24 PM EDT by model927]
First who cares about the drop in auto sear I dont.If I want a full auto Ill invest in the hassle and $20,000 for a real M16.I have 3 bushmasters all excellent 2 pre 1 post.As far as mil-spec nothing is except for the real ones and a specification means it can be a little + or - dimesionaly as long as the dimensions are with in the specs.I have a RRA lower wich Im about to build my 4th AR on and I agree if RRA were puting 4150 steel chrome lined barrels it would be bushmaster who?. I think they will eventualy do seeing as how they recently won a contract to supply 1100 rifles to the DEA I beleive it was because they will be a class 3 producer now for government and law enforcement so maybe they will.Except for barrels,Im installing a Bushmaster barrel all other parts and assemblies are equal to or better than bushmaster at a cheaper price.For instance there bolt carriers are way better,closed off a little heavier and the entire inside of the carrier key hard chromed.The lower I got I paid $90 for brand new about $90 cheaper than a bushmaster and the quality excellent.Lowers are even a little tighter on the rear of the receiver so the upper fits tight with out needing an accuwedge for a more solid feel.RRA is every bit as good except for barrels,count them up there with colt,and bushmaster as the only companies to score government contracts to build complete weapons FN among them but FN dosent make them for us peasants to buy.RRA is a company to watch out for.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:10:25 PM EDT
I like my barrel and lower to have matching markings. If you ever sell a rifle (heavan forbid) it will be easier to sell. I went Bushmaster for that reason. I would have no hesitation using RRA upper reciever though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 9:56:39 PM EDT
Just got a RRA lower today. It is very clean looking and very smoothly tooled. I like the finish, both color and covering. And, I ordered Accu-wedges... apparently for no reason, as the upper mates to the lower as though they were welded together. I have seen many comments about sloppy fits of uppers to lowers. Not my RRA upper to RRA lower.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 1:37:50 AM EDT
My Bushmaster to Bushmaster fit was also super tight. It could not be done by hand till it was shot for the first time. I threw my Accuwedge in the trash.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:58:06 AM EDT
If it were me, and making a Frankengun wasnt a problem, I would get whichever I could find the best deal on.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:22:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DOA: Buey, how many RDIAS' do you see in an M16?? BM doesn't make a mil-spec reciever either, and the shelf can be milled on the RRA. If I had an RDIAS, I'd choose the BM, but since I don't, I'd rather save some $$$ and get the RRA.
View Quote
I have never seen any RDIAS in M16s but I have seen a shit load in AR15s. I never said bushy made a milspec rec.. I said it was the "most" mil spec.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:25:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By model927: First who cares about the drop in auto sear I dont.If I want a full auto Ill invest in the hassle and $20,000 for a real M16.I have 3 bushmasters all excellent 2 pre 1 post.As far as mil-spec nothing is except for the real ones and a specification means it can be a little + or - dimesionaly as long as the dimensions are with in the specs.I have a RRA lower wich Im about to build my 4th AR on and I agree if RRA were puting 4150 steel chrome lined barrels it would be bushmaster who?. I think they will eventualy do seeing as how they recently won a contract to supply 1100 rifles to the DEA I beleive it was because they will be a class 3 producer now for government and law enforcement so maybe they will.Except for barrels,Im installing a Bushmaster barrel all other parts and assemblies are equal to or better than bushmaster at a cheaper price.For instance there bolt carriers are way better,closed off a little heavier and the entire inside of the carrier key hard chromed.The lower I got I paid $90 for brand new about $90 cheaper than a bushmaster and the quality excellent.Lowers are even a little tighter on the rear of the receiver so the upper fits tight with out needing an accuwedge for a more solid feel.RRA is every bit as good except for barrels,count them up there with colt,and bushmaster as the only companies to score government contracts to build complete weapons FN among them but FN dosent make them for us peasants to buy.RRA is a company to watch out for.
View Quote
Alot of people care. @ $3500 +200 your missing out on serious fun.
Top Top