Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/22/2003 10:05:15 AM EDT
I ordered it last week, it shipped on Friday, and I got it this morning!

I have been taking lots of pictures, and I will be posting a link to them soon... as soon as I finish putting it together, that is!

WOOHOOO!!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#1]
As promised, [url=http://www.burnerblog.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=12]Here are pictures of the kit from start to finish.[/url]

[img]http://www.burnerblog.com/images/ar15a41.jpg[/img]

It took me just at an hour to assemble it, as I've never done an AR kit before.  I used the instructions found here on ar15.com, and they were RIGHT ON THE MONEY!  There were no scratches, no surprises, and most of all, no lost parts, although one spring did get dented.  Good thing that J&T sends an extra spring; these guys must know from experience what the trouble areas are for people putting theirs together!

The fit/finish was great; exactly what I expected.  It matches the Bushmaster lower precisely, and the fit is decent, with only a little play between upper/lower (not much more than on my Bushmaster M4, about what I remember the M16A2 to have in the Marines).  The compensator (fake A2 flash hider) looks great, and I can't wait to shoot it.

The next step will be a performance test on Friday: I'll report then how she does!

As for price (for those that are interested:) $685 complete with lower.

This rifle is:

* 20" post-ban AR Kit with A3 removable handle and A2 stock
* A2-like compensator
* Bushmaster stripped lower
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#2]
looks great!!  i used a j&t lower parts kit and i was also very greatful for the extra springs, i sent one across the room.  i still dont have an upper for mine though.  let us know how she shoots!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks great Edge!!!

Just my luck!!!  After waiting for my kit like a kid waits for Christmas morning, it was sent out Friday and a dellivery attempt was made today at 12:30 and, as luck would have it, I am at work!!!  Hopefully, it will be at the UPS station and I can pick it up on my way home!!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#4]
In the picture it looks like there is a difference in the color between the handguards and the stock.  Is this the case, or is it a trick of the light?  Also, I did not see any A2 comps on the J&T site.  How much extra was it and what, if you do not mind was the cost of the kit?  

thanks,
ka
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#5]
The color diff between stock and handguards is because of a combination of things: the stock is bone-dry (I remember in the Marines that when we would put the lower in the "bath," it would turn this color.  Just go over it with an oiled rag, and it turns the dark black again.  It appears this is a mil stock), and the camera makes it appear more gray than it really is (it's not that noticeable in reality).

As for the compensator, I don't know why they don't put pictures of it on their site, but it's what they called their standard compensator.  It cost $40 to have it added to the kit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#6]
[wow]

She looks very nice!  I guess I'll have to build one now.  Darn! [;)]
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice, is that the TAC BRAKE they advertise ? Could not find any info on there site, other than its an option on post ban uppers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool pix and nice rifle too.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I got their A-2 20" kit a couple of weeks ago and if I had known that they had a muzzle brake that looked like an A-2 FS I'd have ordered it with it. Know I have to order a muzzle brake and have it installed.

Sarge
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes: that is their TAC break.

I really like it!!!
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Got my kit in today also.  I have everything put together up to the stock and take down pin.  J&T sent the wrong stock with my kit; I ordered the fixed position CAR stock and they sent the collapsible stock.  I do not want to get caught with a collapsible stock on a post-ban gun!!!  I'm calling them 1st thing in the morning to see if they can overnight me the right stock and then let me send the one I got back!!!
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Let us know how loud that brake is. I don't want the added noise that many brakes add but I sure like the looks of that one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll know Friday morning; that's when I take her to the range and "break her in."  [;)]

I went through and cleaned all the grease out of all the components AGAIN, as it appears some grease somehow seeped out.  Anyway, the cottle pin that holds the firing pin in place is REALLY TIGHT, and requires pliers to remove and replace.  I wonder if that will improve any.  Also, the bolt and bolt carrier are VERY TIGHT, and not very free-moving like other AR's/M16's I've worked with.  However, since this rifle hasn't been fired, I'm sure after a few rounds, things will loosen up considerably in regards to bolt/bolt carrier fit.  Finally, the rear of the bolt carrier is a bit rough, and is really tearing up the buffer assembly's surface, even with just cycling the weapon with the charging handle.  Again, I'm sure this will go away after a few hundred rounds, but it's just something I noticed.

Otherwise, color match with my Bushmaster lower is great, and the stock is no longer greyish since I oiled it up.  It SUCKED IT RIGHT UP!!!  At least now it looks GREAT!

I'm really looking forward to firing her Friday.  As soon as I return, I'll post pics and a review here.
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Updated pic of the AR now that I've oiled the A2 stock.  It now matches the handguards. [:)]

[img]http://www.burnerblog.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_AR15A4-2%20001.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 4:00:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Totally sweet!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 5:35:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I called J&T yesterday about their TAC Brake (probably going to get the LE kit, but with a different stock)...they said the TAC Brake has the holes angled away from the shooter (much like many other large caliber brakes).  They said the noise shouldn't be much greater to the shooter.  Let us know your range report!

--OtterGT
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice job. If you want the stock and handguards really dark, use Armorall on them. I recently got a light grey stock from RRA which had oil spots, so I put RemOil on the stock. It didn't quite make it uniform, so I tried Armorall, which gave it an awesome finish.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#18]
My son's 16" CAR kit from J&T has their Tac-Brake, and it is not as loud as I thought it would be.  The blast is a bit unpleasant, but not nearly as bad as a mini-Y Comp, though......

It sure looks cool, though..
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top