Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2003 2:15:09 PM EDT
I just got finished assembling my Model 1 kit on an Eagle Arms stripped lower. Everything went together on the lower fine, but when I mated the upper to the lower, the rear takedown pin is extremely hard to push in. I can get it in about a quarter of the way with my fingers. After that I had to tap it in with a non-maring hammer. Getting it out takes a hammer and wooden dowel to push the pin out.

I have a Bushmaster M4 and tried the Bushy lower with the Model 1 upper and the takedown pin can be pushed in and pulled out by hand. so I don't think it is the upper. Is the takedown pin a little big? Should I get another or try modifying the one that came with the kit?
Thanks.
Tim
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Since you tried another upper I would say the lower is a little out of spec. Armalite and Eagle arms comes off the same machines. Armalites carry a lifetime warranty and EA has a 1 year. That being said....all lowers are checked and the best ones are made into Armalites.
Check all mating surfaces for any finish mismatch. Just cause its CNC machined doesn't make it perfect.

Rick
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#2]
are you sure it's lined up correctly?

My Model 1 kit was a bit tight fitting into a RRA lower. I had to sand down the area where the ears goes into the lower receiver to make it fit better. After some shooting it will loosen up.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Since the takedown pin works fine with the EA lower and the Bushy upper it sounds like the holes in the Model 1 upper may be a little tight. If it were the pin or the lower then the Bushy upper should also be tight. I'd get a fine sand paper and lightly work the hole.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:27:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Take it out and shoot it! Will likely loosen up.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Like Tman said, shoot it and it should loosen up.  Mine loosened up after about 500 rounds.  Used to be real tight when I first built my kit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:53:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the advice.
The holes were about a 1/32" off. I ended up taking some fine grit sand paper to work the hole and the pin. I am now able to push the pin in by hand. I will definitely have to get out and shoot it.
Thanks for the help.
Tim
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top