Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/28/2005 11:31:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 1:18:06 PM EDT by -Watcher-]
Given all the market options amongst adjustible stocks and slings, what seems to be the best configuration where ease of use and durability are the determining factors? I've been out of the trade for a while and am curious what the market opinion has become.

For example, one would suppose QD slings are of more practical use than the affixed variety. But who makes the better QD sling mounts and whose come apart at inopportune moments? Is it preferable to mount a sling adapter through the provided cut out in the stock, use a receiver plate adapter, or has the single point sling won the hearts of users?

If you know what configuration is the best for a particular application, make your case. Where posible, say it with pictures. They're worth a thousand words, I hear.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:03:35 PM EDT
Here is a link to Midwest Industries sling attachment page. All of Midwest's products are top notch. They have both, the adapters for LMT SOPMOD stocks and standard M4/Cav Arms style collapsible stocks. The QD they use is really sturdy and doesnt come apart when its needed most. Hope this helps.

Midwest Industries Sling Attachment
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:48:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 4:49:41 AM EDT by Lancelot]
If its a QD system you seek, ther are several. The Daniel Defense, the Tango Down, and the KAC. The KAC replaces the receiver end plate. The DD and the TD clamp to the receiver extension with no removal of the stock necessary. The DD has a sling point on either side as does the KAC. The TD has a sling point on either side, and one in back.

I have not used the KAC or the DD. The KAC appears to be the most solid, although the others don't move. I have a TD and I like it. It offers several options.

Td- PR4 in single point mode. The swivel in the rear position ensures that your face, fingers, hands, and such are never affected by the swivel.

TD - PR4 in 3 point mode

or in a modified 3 point

It is solid. It is versatile. But you do loose the last position on your telestock. (It won't close all the way with the DD or the TD in place.)

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:06:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 1:08:46 PM EDT by -Watcher-]
KAC also manufactures a QD adapter which mounts through a cutout in a collapsible stock (P/N 98722). First, will this device reliably mount to the current crop of SOPMOD stocks? Some stock makers include a QD "plug" at this approximate location, although I'm unfamiliar with whether a standard KAC QD stud will fit to these.

Second, has this arangement or those like it fallen out of favor amongst users? Is the sling attachment location closer to the pistol grip a preferred tactical location for three point slings? It seems counter-intuitive. Never having used a single-point sling, I cannot speak to suitability in that application.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:36:14 PM EDT
Moving the rear point on a 3-point sling forward, "loosens" up the fit of the rifle allowing more freedom of movement. Some, with the sling properly adjusted, can do shoulder transitions with the rear point foward. With it in the rear position, it can't be done.

But the real reason the DD and the TD mounts exist, and or are designed this way, is for issued service rifles where the stock cannot be removed. Hence, this may be your only option for a single point sling. As an example soldiers cannot remove the stock on an issued military rifle.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:45:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/29/2005 1:46:47 PM EDT by JTrusty]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:02:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JTrusty:

But the real reason the DD and the TD mounts exist, and or are designed this way, is for issued service rifles where the stock cannot be removed

The same can be said for many PD's. Even then, certain no gunsmith solutions still have to be approved.

Very true. A good rule of thumb is, if it isn't yours, you can't do much to change it. And a lot of manufacturers now are either staking the stock in place, or using red loctite. And although that doesn't make pulling the stock impossible, this is a much easier and or cleaner option.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:10:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lancelot:
But the real reason the DD and the TD mounts exist, and or are designed this way, is for issued service rifles where the stock cannot be removed. Hence, this may be your only option for a single point sling. As an example soldiers cannot remove the stock on an issued military rifle.

Tango Down Link

Does this mount just clamp around the existing fixed stock or is it inserted between the stock and the receiver, and in the process lengthening the stock? In the photo it looks as if the top edge of the mount fits flush w/the receiver, just like a fixed stock does. Assuming it simply clamps around, I was expecting the top of the mount to ride above the the top edge of the receiver.

Do you have any idea if this would work with a Sully?

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:19:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/1/2005 6:20:56 PM EDT by JTrusty]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:32:54 PM EDT
It does clamp on. It does not lengthen the stock. The top strap has to be thin to allow the charging handle to pass.

I don't know if it works with a Sully stock. but I suspect if you drop TD an email they can tell you. The thing sits right at the receiver, and I would think most fixed stocks will all be pretty close at that point.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:12:21 PM EDT
JTrusty, Lancelot,

Thanks.
Top Top