Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/27/2004 2:40:41 PM EST
Is a Rear Sight Installation tool necessary to install an A2 rear sight on a stripped A2 upper? Or is it something I can do without, like the front pivot pin installation tool?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:46:25 PM EST
I've done it without and on my first attempt, FUBAR'd the elevation spring. Second attempt worked, but it sucked ass. After that, I got the tool and now they are a breeze. I can put an A2 rear sight together in about 15min with the tool and who knows how long and how much cussing without.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:48:05 PM EST
Got any recommendations on where to get one from? I noticed ADCO had them for $24.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:57:37 PM EST
I paid a little more, but I got it before I knew ADCO existed. That's a decent price.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:23:32 PM EST
I have built hundreds of rifles, never know they had that tool so no you do not have to have it
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:10:46 PM EST
The most difficult thing is to compress the spring inside the threaded elevation post, and then get the roll pin in. I made a simple tool with a 1/4" wood dowel about 2" long, and a 1/16" slot cut in one end.

I started the roll pin in the receiver (the one under the elevation knob), inserted the spring, compressed it with the dowel in such a way that the slot lined up with the roll pin hole. While holding the dowel, thumb on top of receiver under the carry handle, index finger pressing the dowel, I pressed the pin home with large vise grip pliers (jaws taped to prevent scratching.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:54:30 PM EST
Interesting... I'll have to try that.

Thanks for the tip!
Top Top