Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/19/2006 4:25:31 AM EDT
I heard someone mention Ballistol - is this the one?

I've tried M-Pro 7, Hoppes Elite, FP-10, Slip 2000 Gun Lube, and Militec-1. None of these were better than BF CLP (in at least the corrosion protection aspect).
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:11:09 AM EDT
for top notch corrosion protection look into cosmoline.

see a test where eezox also protected better than bf clp.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:31:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 5:32:03 AM EDT by metroplex]
I'm not looking for Xtreme corrosion protection. I'm just looking for an alternative to BF CLP as a cleaner/lubricant/protectant. I know Eezox and Corrosion-X have comparable or better corrosion protection than BF CLP, all 3 of which are impressive and beat out most of the other competitors. However I wanted to know if Ballistol cleans powder residue and carbon faster/better than BF CLP.

I have a 30 cal bore that has a lot of deposits in the rifling.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:46:39 AM EDT
then use a "Cleaner" not a CLP, no CLP can match the cleaning power of any one use Cleaner.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:07:52 AM EDT
What is Ballistol?

What are some really good cleaners?

I'll stick with BF CLP for 90% of what I'm doing, but I wanted to try something different.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:27:42 AM EDT
Pre WWII CLP.

2 good cleaners, I am sure there are more.
butches bore shine
Shooter's Choice powder solvent
those and a bronze brush work verry well
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:34:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gregory_K:
Pre WWII CLP.

2 good cleaners, I am sure there are more.
butches bore shine
Shooter's Choice powder solvent
those and a bronze brush work verry well

+1

Also in my tests Slip 2000 protected almost as well as Breakfree in a salt water enviornment. It was hard to tell which did better to tell you the truth.

As for cleaning Mil-Comm and Slip 2000 725 degreaser cleans the bore extreemly well of everything but copper and lead. Carbon and powder will be removed 100% in short time. Then use Butches Bore Shine to remove the copper and lead. Your bore will them be a mirror!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:54:09 AM EDT
I have a small spray bottle of 725. Do you spray it on patches or do you spray it down the bore?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:10:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 6:11:54 PM EDT by SkagSig40]

Originally Posted By metroplex:
I have a small spray bottle of 725. Do you spray it on patches or do you spray it down the bore?

Both. I start out by running a 725 soaked patch down the barrel 2 times(different clean patches)to get the bulk loose fouling out and then spray a few good squrts down the barrel and lrt it sit for 10 minutes. Then use a bronz brush and scrub the barrel 10 times back and fourth(in and out being one pass). Then dry patch the barrel. The patch will come out extreemly dirty and black. Repeet this but with out the 10 minute soak(1 minute will do fine from this point) till the patch comes out light gray. Then use 91% Isopropal alcohol to nutrilize and use a copper solvent from there. Your bore will never come cleaner short of ultrasonic cleaning!!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:44:52 AM EDT
I prefer Slip2000 for an all in one CLP type product.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:13:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AR15fan:
I prefer Slip2000 for an all in one CLP type product.

Can you give us your reasons/findings on SLIP 2000? Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:45:51 AM EDT
Also which Slip 2000 are you using?
The gun lube/lubricant, GPL, or MIL-X?

The only Slip 2000 "CLP" I have and used is the Gun Lube.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:55:51 AM EDT
I use Butches for the tough cleaning in barrel....

i love the bore-snakes for cleaning weapons...carried one in my ruck all the time..one for my Beretta or Sig and one for my Colt M-4. I still had the pouch cleaning kit with rod and patches but very rarely used it unless I was stuck in airfield awaiting transpo or something. I put some butches on front of boresnake.....heavy....pull through and let sit before pulling bristle portion out of barrel. Then after two passes I spary CLP or RemOil on tail of snake to lube insides.

On exterior I use CLP that is at room temp and shaken well to mix it all up good. On interior parts such as bolt and carrier I use RemOil.

If it is really nasty I will break it down and clean it with hot soapy water first...getting water hot enough so that when I pull it out it evaporates water on its own...I will boil water to pour in cleaning pan. If you do this you MUST give it a good cleaning with CLP afterwards as this will release all the protectants in the cleaning and the weapon will be very "dry".....like after using steam/chemical bath to remove cosmolene when first purchased in military.

If it gets wet from rain, snow or other I will give it a good dousing with WD40 (water displacement) and the follow with a good lubing. If really cold or dirty environment.....use less lube. If really wet environment use more lube.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:35:04 PM EDT
I learned my lesson on using something other than BF CLP. It was a great CL, but didn't advertise, nor provide any corrosion protection. I got rust. Since otherwise it's a good product, I won't mention the name, but be warned, if it doesn't claim corrosion protection, it probably won't.

Lubricants don't naturally provide anti-corrosion.

For lubrication and storage, I've tried just about everything, and keep coming back to Break Free CLP. For long term anti-corrosion I use Rig, for everything else, CLP.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:19:59 PM EDT
Ballistol is the closest thing I've found to a universal gun juice; I use it for nearly everything. It's not a highly aggressive cleaner, so for those uncommon tough cleaning jobs I would resort to JB Compound or one of the many high-tech wonder solvents. For ordinary everyday cleaning, lubricating and rust prevention Ballistol works fine. Also you can mix it with water and use as a black powder solvent. You can use it as a case resizing lube, you can use it as a leather treatment. It's biodegradeable, non-toxic (at least in the non-aresol version) and I've heard it can be used to disinfect minor cuts and scrapes.

I do prefer M1 rifle grease for lubricating most surfaces that I can reach to smear it on, but Ballistol for trigger parts and other bits that oil can work its way into.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:46:02 PM EDT
+1 on Ballistol. Seems to do C, L, and P all very well, even with all the salt we have to deal with close to the beach here. Haven't had to use it on any really nasty problems yet, perhaps because it hasn't (nor have I) allowed any to occur. More here, (I think): www.amoratech.com
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:27:16 PM EDT
I've used Strike Hold for a while as a replacement for the standard CLP. No problems or complaints with it yet, it gained a lot of popularity with my unit in Iraq; weapons functioned well without the usual dirt/goop collection of other CLPs we used. Outside of Army use, I haven't heard any other opinions of it. Either way, here's their site for those interested:

www.strike-hold.com/strike-hold.htm
Top Top