Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/11/2003 8:57:22 PM EDT
Got any of your own? perticularly ones where you chose your AR as your arm to defend yourself? (but any other will do as well)

I'm just curious.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 11:10:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2003 11:11:40 PM EDT by JTR8541]
I used to work the graveyard shift at a local stop and rob my second sophomore year in college. A guy came in to make a withdrawal using a large kitchen knife. I was quick like a cat with my Colt Officers ACP and persuaded him to check and make sure I had mopped the floor properly. Soon after, the local Sheriff’s deputies show up and a bit later the INS. Turns out he was here illegally from Mexico (imagine that) and the INS deported him. Best regards, J
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 4:50:09 AM EDT
Not me but my Father has one: He was working at a 7-11 when he was in college. He had a Titanic Arms revolver 32 S&W Long that he carried for bank runs. It was 2 am, is was slow, so my father got his gun from the car and cleaned it. Just as he finished cleaning and loading it, a guy walked in, pointed a gun at him and said "let me have it". My father let him have it. That store got robbed about once a week. After that it was 4 months before it was robbed again. PS My Father had finished his tour in Vietnam less than a year before this happened.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 7:12:53 AM EDT
I work at one of those kinda stores now. If i was to defend my self or another enployee that was having his life threatend.. what would the retaliation from the authorities be? a slap to the back.. or to the face? Or hard time?
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 7:36:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2003 7:38:14 AM EDT by Horik]
If you are being threatened with a DW your in the right to defend yourself........Most places allow for this if you feel a percieved threat of death. Criminal trial you would most likely get off. It's the feckers family that may get you in civil court after the original trial if there even is one, which I doubt. But then it would be more of a money issue. Remember folks...Always drive through the lot of one of these stop and rob 7/11 type stores so you can look inside to see if something is "not right" before you just walk in. More people are hurt or killed by walking into an incident than the ones already there. Walking in on a robbery tends to freak the BG out making them veeeery nervous!
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 8:38:10 AM EDT
I live in a new neighborhood, so there are a lot of immigrants around. Stayed home on a Friday to work on the "honey-do" list, around noon I heard my back sliding glass door... open. Went downstairs with my S.A. Custom Loaded .45. Some Mexican was just about to step into my house, I said "Hola", he looked at me and bolted. I wanted to chase the sucker down, but he never made it inside, and he had no weapons. Called the cops, and it turns out the guy was working for a moving crew two houses down. I think he got a ride back to Mexico. All I know is, living in an area with lots of construction people is a war zone. People walking through the backyards, footprints on my deck by my glass doors, handprints on my lower level windows. The local PD sends a car thru the neighborhood every 1/2 hour since it's so bad. Av.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 9:05:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ningonango: I work at one of those kinda stores now. If i was to defend my self or another enployee that was having his life threatend.. what would the retaliation from the authorities be? a slap to the back.. or to the face? Or hard time?
View Quote
In TX, you have the right under law to use deadly force as specified in sections 9.31, 9.32 and 9.33 of the Texas Penal Code. Whether or not a person is prosecuted for a justified shooting is up to the DA's office in that county.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 2:37:21 PM EDT
ningonango, You have a very valid concern there but I’ll tell you the only thought going through my bean at that time was what is that knife doing? If it does anything but drop to the floor… my only concern at that point in time was [b]LIVING[/b] past this. It didn’t matter what is going to happen now or later as long as I walk away. According to Arizona law, I had every right to shoot the guy; that’s not a happy thought to live with for the rest of my life though. Not to mention the time and money in court later on and the loss of my coveted sales position. Best regards, J
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 3:26:13 PM EDT
I've never had to use my weapon in self defense, but I heard a good addage from over on Glocktalk that goes something like this..For every round fired at an attacker, it automatically comes with a $10,000 attorney fee. Just something to think about. Laws vary significantly by state though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:49:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2003 2:08:58 AM EDT by Halfcocked]
I used to own a house about a mile from where they had out door concerts. Once I had a couple of my neices over to spend the week end with my daughter. They were going to sleep in the living room on the floor in front of the fire place. The wife and were nestled all snug in our bed. When all of a sudden there arose such a clatter..from the living room. The girls were looking out the windows and Kathy, the oldest of the bunch was shouting "HEY! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!". I arose with a start and said "What the hell is going on out there?". That's when I noticed that the front of our house was all lit up. I look out the bedroom window and there is like 2 or 3 cars with a bunch of concert goers milling around in my front yard. [size=5][b]WTF[/b][/size=5] I grab the Remington Target Master .22 (only thing I had close by the front door loaded) and step out on the front porch, in nothing but my Fruit Of The Looms, scared as hell, and shout "GET THE FUCK OUTA HERE OR I'LL SHOOT YA!" After acouple of seconds of mumbleing a hardy "FUCK YOU MAN" comes spouted back at me. WTF! What can I do? No one is coming at me and directly threating me. They are scaring the shit out of the children. My son is up and he's about 3 at the time comes out the front door asking "Daddy whats going on?" Wifes on the phone to the cops but they are so buisy directing traffic after the Guns And Roses/Areo Smith concert that the reply she gets is "Sorry, we have no one available". I scoop up my son and run back indoors. What the fuck do I do? Then it's like a light goes on. A complex plan with all the little details just apears in my head like a bright clear picture. Nothing to figure out, every detail is there right in front of my eyes. I have 20 packs of bottle rockets, whistlers with reports, in my bedroom closet. There is a case of empty Bud long neckers in the back porch. The propane torch is down in the basement in the tool room. It's like I was in all 3 places at the same time an within mere seconds 48 rockets (2 to a bottle) were stuffed in the case of long neckers the torch was emitted a nice confident deadly shhhhhh. Out on the front porch I step, case of emptys in my left hand. Blazing propane torch in my right. I set the case down on it's side and repeat my comand "GET THE FUCK OUTA HERE OR I'LL SHOOT!". Another smart ass bellows "GET BACK INSIDE OLD MAN!". I put the torch to the top row of bottles. SHREWW, SHREWW, SHREWW, SHREWW, SHREWW...
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:57:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/12/2003 6:28:51 PM EDT by Halfcocked]
continued.. It sounded just like those Nazi rockets they used in WWII. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM,.. A defiant shout is hurled back, "Hey, knock it off man." By that time the second volley was all ready hissing in the case of empties. SCHREWW, SCHREWW, SCHREWW.. "Lets get out of here, this fuckers crazy". They were all runnin and a fetchin like there ass was on fire and there heads were'a catchin. By the time they got back into their cars and were heading down the drive way I added a little lean of elevation and let the last volley go. I can still see 2 or 3 rockets ricocheting off the lead vehicles back window, bouncing up about 10 feet and the the reports, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM... Heh, Heh! Little fucking basturds.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 6:06:06 PM EDT
It kinda goes without saying that there are areas in this country (mostly east coast and left coast plus big metro areas) where they'll prosecute you for the same action that, if done in more sensible jursdictions, they'd pat you on the back and give you a medal (or at most have a grand jury review the shooting just to confirm that it was righteous). If you do anything unreasonable or stupid that you'd have a hard time rationally explaining later (like to a jury), you're going to have a tough time of it anywhere. In just about every state, laws about self-defense talk about the use of "reasonable" force to respond to an unlawful attack. Some states require that you retreat if possible (in TX you don't have to retreat in your own home) and/or that you cease your use of deadly force once the threat is gone (so you might get in trouble for drilling the guy in the back as he runs out the convenience store door). I haven't yet used the AR for self-defense, but back in 1987 (when I was a law student in Austin) I was awaken in the wee hours by loud pounding on my apartment door. I answered the door with my Mini-14 in hand (all I could afford back then). David, an off-duty sheriff deputy who lived upstairs from me was there with a very large W/M he had just caught trying to steal a Corvette from the parking lot. He said, "Here, take this one. I'm going after his partner!!" and takes off running. Having no cuffs, I had the guy lay face-down on my living room floor with his legs crossed and arms straight out, palms up while I called Austin PD. A couple minutes later, here comes David again with the guy's brother (also very large) who had been trying to boost a Trans-Am just around the corner. I had him assume the same position next to his bro. I then began to explain to them that, since there was two of them and only one of me and because I was very concern about the safety of my visibly-pregnant wife (who was holding back our big male Akita by his choke chain in the kitchen), if either of them made ANY sort of move to get up, I would be obliged to empty most of the 30-round clip into their son-to-be-lifeless bodies. About 5 mintues later, a female Austin PD officer comes strolling in my front door, glances at them, looks at me, smiles and says, "Well, looks like you don't really need us, huh?" to which I replied, "Nope, but would you please get this trash off my living room floor." I told David he'd have to explain to the apartment manager about the marks on my front door where he banged it with his pistol butt trying to wake me up. There was another time coming home from DFW airport when I was really glad I was carrying my .45 Gov't model (and even more glad I didn't have to do more than show it). The times you need a firearm for defense are few and far between, but when you need it, you REALLY need it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 7:52:02 PM EDT
I try to be ready... Anyway. I think its really messed up if you legit wound a robber that is threating to use deadly force that the family of the guy could persue payment for his wounds.. HE IS ATTACKING YOU!!! THAT IS BULLSHIT- I love my country but some of the laws we have needed some more intelligent people in the drivers seat. I once read about a man who fell in a sunlight onto the kitchen counter and cut himself with a knife. He bled so much that he couldnt steal anything and was arrested. HE then proceded to sue THE LITTLE OLD LADY for the damages HE recieved. He had a good lawyer and won the case, recieving more money than anything of equal value in the house. IM SORRY BUT THAT IS F%*Ked UP
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 8:22:59 PM EDT
A little while back a father went to pick up his son from his job at a local video store. He got there a little early and waited for his son in the car. He noticed two black men entering the store and acting suspiciously. He went into the store to protect his son. He ended up killing one of the crooks after he pulled a weapon. The local sheriff called him a hero. I did hear though, that the responding officers were VERY glad when they found out that the father had a concealed weapons license and might have charged him otherwise. Some of you guys might remember reading about this one. Happened in Volusia County, FL.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 9:07:55 PM EDT
I used to live in an apartment building and kept a GP100 right next to the front door. On day the guy next door was beating his girlfriend, again, and she ran out into the hall, where he continued to beat her, hard enough for me te hear the blows hitting. I grabbed the gun, opened the door, and told him to lay off. He saw the gun and ran back inside. She layed there crying, I asked her if she needed help/a ride to the hospital. She just shook her head no, AND WENT BACK INSIDE. They moved out a week later, TOGETHER. Never understood that girl.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 9:50:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By STANMAN: I used to live in an apartment building and kept a GP100 right next to the front door. On day the guy next door was beating his girlfriend, again, and she ran out into the hall, where he continued to beat her, hard enough for me te hear the blows hitting. I grabbed the gun, opened the door, and told him to lay off. He saw the gun and ran back inside. She layed there crying, I asked her if she needed help/a ride to the hospital. She just shook her head no, AND WENT BACK INSIDE. They moved out a week later, TOGETHER. Never understood that girl.
View Quote
It was very good of you to step in and help her out there. I don't mean to sound like a smartass, so no offense but you should have also called the domestic abuse hotline and reported that. She might be dead by now. On a different note: Is it true that you can shoot to kill if an intruder passes the threshold of your house's door? I live in florida if anyone knows anything about that
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 10:26:01 PM EDT
i think you have to at least tell them to leave first.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:33:19 AM EDT
Working night shift years ago, dispatch gave out a call to a female officer of a residental break in progress. She did not have a back up. Usually these type of calls are bogus, husband been out drinking, comes home, wife has the safety chain on the door. Where I live in the good old boy area, there is a good chance the home owner is armed. Anyway the home owner is still on the phone with 911-he states unknown subject is on his front porch trying to kick the door down-next thing home owner states unknown subject throws a large concrete planter through the picture window-by this time home owner tells 911 that he has a gun and he and his family had retreated to the kitchen. The phone goes dead, shortly after that the officer arrives on scene. Suspect is Tango Uniform on the kitchen floor, and home owner has a SA 357 Black Hawk. Thankfully the kitchen floor was easy to clean up. As SOP, the homicide detective presented it to the Grand Jury which came back to with a "not true bill" which helped to protect the home owner from a civil lawsuit. Generaly as a rule if the GJ doesn't come back with a true bill, civil law suits for wrongful death is thrown out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:32:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ningonango: i think you have to at least tell them to leave first.
View Quote
I told him to leave, honest I DID! And it was so dark, I could have SWORN he was still moving INTO the house. It was all so scary. All I could think about was protecting my family. [b]That's my story and I'm sticking to it.[/b]
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:20:49 AM EDT
My own armed confrontation about 15 years ago: Got back from the range late one evening, and was in the process of cleaning my mini-14 (no AR at that time). Phone rang, and a neighbor said she saw a male trying to break into the bedroom window where my wife was sleeping. I grabbed a clip of ammo, stuck it into my freshly cleaned and oiled rifle and stepped outside. It was dark, but enough area lighting allowed me to tell it was no one I knew. I asked the f*cker If I could help him as I racked a round into the chamber and went to port arms. He got real meek and said he didn't want any trouble, he slowly turned and walked off. Meanwhile, wife had called 911, and the cops were already in the neighborhood looking for the perp. He had gotten out of prison 3 days earlier (was doing time for rape) and already had raped 2 women since his release. He never threatened me, or approached me, so no reason to shoot him. I am glad I was armed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:28:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2003 1:44:03 PM EDT by Spooge5150]
In Florida, You can use deadly force to stop any violent felony. Read the laws that come with your CCW application. You see a girl being raped and beaten.. you can do what it takes to stop the attacker, even death. I have killed someone who broke into my home and attacked me. So any questions about the system in Fl, I will be happy to assist, from first hand knowledge.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:54:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DaPhotoGuy: And it was so dark...
View Quote
That's why I have a light on almost every gun I might have to use to defend myself (AR's, shotgun, pistol). They are the single most important thing you can put on a gun.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:43:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Lockedon: On a different note: Is it true that you can shoot to kill if an intruder passes the threshold of your house's door? I live in florida if anyone knows anything about that
View Quote
Walk into any gun shop in Florida and ask for the 'green book'. I forget the title off hand and I lent my copy to a friend so I can't check just now, but it is something like Florida Firearms Law or something close. You can't miss it. Its [b][green] BRIGHT FLORESCENT GREEN[/green][/b]. Written by an Orlando area lawyer. It covers all aspects of Florida firearms law and legal aspects of self defense. In fact, most CCW instructors down here either include it in the course materials or recommend it. It will answer your question and many many more. Every gun owner in the state should have this on hand IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:29:32 PM EDT
not too long after i got my first firearm, ruger mini 14 i ended up using it for a little home defense... i have a honda sport bike and there had been reports of a ton of bikes in the area turning up missing lately, so one night me and my girlfriend are just starting to fall asleep and it was summer so my window was open and i hear some twigs snapping outside and then i hear two male voices whispering, i think its some drunk friends that have come to throw rocks at my window and get me to come out or something but as i creep to the window i see them slowly make their way over my fence and into the back yard where i keep my bike and then i remember hearing about the 15 sport bike frames they pulled from the local lake a week before... so go i get my mini 14 and sneak out the front door and quietly make my way around into the back yard, my eyes are still wierd from laying in the dark but i can make out two guys standing over my bike on the patio, i get pretty close to them and then say in my calmest voice possible "if your some of my friends fuckin around say so now because your about to get shot", immediatly they bolt off hopping fences and jump into a construction van down the street and speed off... i figure they were checking out my bike for a lock/alarm and then were gonna pull the van up and just toss it in the back... no shots fired b/c i figured i scared them enough and was in no danger myself, quite a rush really i loved it
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 2:20:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SMV:
Originally Posted By DaPhotoGuy: And it was so dark...
View Quote
That's why I have a light on almost every gun I might have to use to defend myself (AR's, shotgun, pistol). They are the single most important thing you can put on a gun.
View Quote
That's an excellent point. The last thing any of us want to do is pull the trigger on somebody because it's dark and you think they MIGHT be armed (and find out later that they weren't). I think I might just start some serious tac light shopping.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 2:59:56 PM EDT
I had just moved into my new apartment --had only been there roughly a couple of months. I heard my door knob wiggling which woke me out of a sound sleep. I reached under my pillow and pulled out my Sig 220. I yelled "Hello can I help you." There was no answer but the door knob continud to be tried---I went to the door and slowly unlocked and pulled the door open----there in my boxers with my sig at my side I asked again--"What can I help you with". The guy was quickly taken aback "Guess I got the wrong door" I told him "yep---theres nothing you want in here." The guy ended up being a totally drunk friend of the guy who lived directly below me and got screwed up on which floor he was on---however his inabilty to answer me and his persistance to get into my domain was enough to make me arm myself---and I certainly felt better with that 45 in my hand.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 4:08:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Spooge5150: I have killed someone who broke into my home and attacked me.
View Quote
Would you mind telling the story of this particular incident? Only if you want to of course.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:28:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2003 5:28:33 PM EDT by 73wcf4440]
Keep fighting for your 2nd Amendment rights. This is what's happening in the UK:
Martin to fight for rights of burgled householders By John Steele (Filed: 19/07/2003) Tony Martin, the farmer jailed for the manslaughter of a burglar, will campaign after his release this month for better legal protection for householders who defend themselves against intruders, his MP said yesterday. He will also work for changes in the law to stop burglars obtaining legal aid to sue homeowners for compensation if they are injured during a break-in. Henry Bellingham, Conservative MP for North West Norfolk, met Martin at Highpoint Prison, Suffolk, to discuss changes to the law. Martin, 58, is due to leave prison on July 28 after two thirds of his sentence for the manslaughter of Fred Barras, 16, who was shot during a burglary at Martin's Norfolk farmhouse. Barras's fellow burglar, Brendon Fearon, who was wounded in the raid on Martin's home in Emneth Hungate in 1999, is suing the farmer for £15,000 compensation. Martin was jailed for life after being convicted of murder in April 2000, but the Court of Appeal reduced the conviction to manslaughter and cut the sentence to five years. Mr Bellingham said Martin was worried about security arrangements at his farm when he was released.
View Quote
[url]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/07/19/nmart19.xml[/url] The scumbag withdrew his suit. Martin served 5 years for defending his family and property.
Top Top