Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/31/2006 2:53:41 PM EDT
Re-Enlisting for another 3 years. Getting a nice bonus, lump sum this month. Want something nice. MK12 Mod 0 looked good in the Guns & Ammo AR mag I got last month. Had an article about building your own MK12 Mod 0. Said parts" readily available"....not what I've found really, but...??

Checked ADCO, and JTAC for parts for the Mod 0......

Are they about it for the MK12 market?

Any MK12 clone owners around to help me justify throwing my money at this thing? Any problems with this style of SPR versus others. Looking for miliatrygrade, semi-auto style, precision rifle.

Thanks in Advance
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Barrels:  http://www.whiteoakarmament.com

Another source:  http://www.jtacsupply.com/

As noted, MSTN should have most of what you need as well.

CMMG will build you one as well.  http://www.cmmginc.com

ETA - they are quite heavy, and in my opinion, over-wrought for what they are.  A 5.56 precision rifle doesn't need to weigh so much.  YMMV, as may your opinion.

G
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm partial to the Mark 11 Mod 0 myself; probably my favorite rifle, for a variety of reasons. If you're gonna shell out for extreme range and super precision, might as well jump up to the 7.62x51 round IMO. Though they're probably harder to find, and definitely more expensive than the Mark 12 Mod 0. I think the Mk12 Mod 0 goes for around $3300 (not sure), whereas I have yet to see a Mk 11 Mod 0/SR-25 go for under $4400.
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Ah, Jeeze...another perfect example of BRD.

I recall getting a re-enlistment bonus in the early 80's (a tad over 10K). Bought a sports car with part of it. Flashy red thing that was an electrical nightmare (yep, it was British). It did, however, contribute to me getting laid quite often, so it was money well spent

If buying the gun is what you want, you've made a nice choice...go for it. And, if it helps you get laid...well, two birds with one stone.
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#5]
obviously you can not buy a full rifle

but you can buy a real deal SPR upper

lots of money

adco is about as close as you can get to the real thing for a reasonable price
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
obviously you can not buy a full rifle

but you can buy a real deal SPR upper

lots of money

adco is about as close as you can get to the real thing for a reasonable price

Isn't the SPR a semi-auto?

The ones MTSN built were outrageous. IIRC, he is stymied right now unable to score the OPS Inc. brakes. Other than that..........

No g/f or wife, huh?

Thanks for the re-up. My family and I appreciate your sacrifice more than you know!
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Re-Enlistment Bonus of $20,000.00.  YES.

Receiving Lump Sum Payment. YES.

Having a Wife.  YES.

Wife's knowledge of bonus, and plans for SPR build............. NO.

Link Posted: 7/31/2006 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Having a Wife.  YES.

You should do the responsible husband thing and buy her a rifle too

A while back I had to buy my wife a pistol in order for her to let me buy one for myself...yeah, I lucked out

Link Posted: 7/31/2006 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Having a Wife.  YES.

So your wife knows about your $5000 bonus.  

Ah well, just make sure she doesnt blow it all on herself!!

Link Posted: 7/31/2006 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#10]
ADCO can build you the most genuine MK 12 Mod 0/1 at a price that won't break the bank either.

And thank you for your service to this great Nation, brother.

Stay safe,

Justin
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah. Wives can suck. No my wife doesn't want guns because "I spend too much time/money on mine".....

Even though she is a better pistol shot than most men I know....

Now. The MK12 Mod 0.........

Anything else going?
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Check with Mitchell Supply.  That was the owner pictured in the article.  

http://www.mitchellsupply.com/

ETA I recently noticed that he has begun posting on here under Mitchellsupply I believe.
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Check with Mitchell Supply.  That was the owner pictured in the article.  

http://www.mitchellsupply.com/

ETA I recently noticed that he has begun posting on here under Mitchellsupply I believe.

Sweet! Didn't know that one. Thanks.

I will be all over this project as soon as that deposit hits!

I wish I could bring it to Iraq again this fall.

I bet I could get away with the upper!!!! And jewell trigger assy.hmmmm????
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#15]
God bless you 762.  i have two four year old boys.  I'm grateful to you guys who are trying to finish this war now.  If they have to fight, fine; but I hope it isn't because we lose our nerve now and we have to fight this one again!  All I can say is, thanks and kick ass.

GH
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#16]
here's one for sale in the EE....1300 shipped

link
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I got all the upper parts I needed, minus the brake which I already had, for my Mod 0 from JTAC. If you build it yourself, it can be done for under $2000.00, my rifle minus suppressor and scope cost me less than $1700.00 and I didn't shop around that much.

Link Posted: 7/31/2006 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh mommy!

I want it!

I'd re-enlist for another year right now if I could deploy with it too!!!!!

Can't wait to build!!!

Which Lower Receiver to buy?????

Could I really get a Douglas barrel????

Wow.

edit~Shit! That's that Ops Inc 12th suppressor isn't it?!?!??!~edit

I want the closest to real as possible. I can get a suppressor here in Texas easier than most places too.

Link Posted: 7/31/2006 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Oh mommy!

I want it!

I'd re-enlist for another year right now if I could deploy with it too!!!!!

Can't wait to build!!!

Which Lower Receiver to buy????? Bushmaster

Could I really get a Douglas barrel???? The WOA barrel shoots better than I can, but the Douglas barrels are out there.

Wow.

edit~Shit! That's that Ops Inc 12th suppressor isn't it?!?!??!~edit Yes

I want the closest to real as possible. I can get a suppressor here in Texas easier than most places too. The process for getting a suppressor is the same in all states that allow them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Gotcha. I meant the CLEO here is cool. A guy who sold me some mags a bit ago got his Suppressor with little work at all.....

And It would be nice to have that dream realized.

Is it true that the OPS INC brakes, and collars ADCO, JTAC, and others are selling, are NOT real? That the only real ones come with the suppressor from OPS INC? I keep hearing that alot. Same with barrel diameter on these 18" SPR stainless barrels....

All I wanna know is that when the paperwork goes through that I can put a real OPS INC 12th MOD Suppressor on this MK12 Mod 0.....

Real...clone...fake...whatever...

I get that I cannot receiver a built one from whatever shadow contractor is building these. But I'm reading that it's more about proper tools, torque, and parts, then it being from the "hands" of the SPR god himself.....

whoever HE is....

Just want the closest thing possible. I'd like to be that guy whining about that extra 1/4 of an inch MOA....

Whaaa
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice rifle.  A build like that is on my list..probably rifle #5.  (I'm on #3 right now.)  BRD, will there ever be a cure?  If only I had a 20k reenlistment bonus to spend!
Link Posted: 7/31/2006 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Re-Enlisting for another 3 years. Getting a nice bonus, lump sum this month. Want something nice. MK12 Mod 0 looked good in the Guns & Ammo AR mag I got last month. Had an article about building your own MK12 Mod 0. Said parts" readily available"....not what I've found really, but...??

Any MK12 clone owners around to help me justify throwing my money at this thing? Any problems with this style of SPR versus others. Looking for miliatrygrade, semi-auto style, precision rifle.

Thanks in Advance

Man, what happened to the fast cars and foxey ladies that bonus would bring. Times, they are a changin'!
Link Posted: 8/1/2006 4:21:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks in Advance

Man, what happened to the fast cars and foxey ladies that bonus would bring. Times, they are a changin'!

When I was a sinle Marine yeah...no prob.

Married with kids bub.

And I ain't spending money on whores no more.
Link Posted: 8/1/2006 5:35:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Tagamus Maximus.

I want your rifle mare than oxygen.  I shit thee not.

Link Posted: 8/1/2006 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I just finished going through how your're feeling (on here they call it "Black Rifle Disease").  When I got it it was the same SPR strain as well... not so easily treated.

I found a real MK12 Mod 0 upper at a show for $2250 (he tried to charge me an additional $300 for the OPS Inc brake!)

I'm an Army guy too and knew that I could do better than that... so I opted to build one.  Key points that I found

1- the MOD 0 is dated.  Not that it's bad, but you can get newer parts -"better," in some cases and opinions- for cheaper.  I have had several ARMS peices of equipment in the past, on duty and off, and I have found other manyufacturers have improved on their initial designs.  Specifically, return to zero on thier throw levers.  I have not been happy with the return to zero capabilities of ARMS equipment.  If you plan to leave your scope mounted- no issue here.

2- the MOD 0 is expensive.  Any forearm/ rail you buy will be $300+, then add $100 for the top rail.  Don't forget the $200 PRI gas block.

3- I wanted accuracy, both historically (because we used them initially in OEF) and in it's performance.  I have never fired a WOA bbl- and it likely does out shoot me, but it's not "original."

4 - they made a MOD 1 for a reason, think of it as an improvement in many cases.

Here's what I ended up going with, and I could not be happier.

Colt M4 Match lower with ergo grip
(waiting on Gisselle to send out that large hole match trigger!)
Colt m4 upper receiver
18" Douglas SS 1:8 SPR bbl turned by Compass Lake (available at Pennsylvania Defense Consultants - great SPR parts)
Ops Inc 12th model brake
Larue 13.2" rail and gasblock
Les Baer custom National Match bolt carrier
SOPMOD stock
Larue SPR mount
Leupold 3-9x36 illum MRT scope
Harris bipod
TangoDown single point sling attachment
PRI gas buster and troy flip up sights just added

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/MarkZfsu/DSC00748.jpg

I only offer this as a suggestion, trust me, I feel your anticiapation, I've been torn thinking and debating on this for months.  Bottom line is that I couldn't be happier with what I've got.

Best of luck

An additional note- I have purchased form about everybody previously listed as MK12 Mod 0/1 dealers in this post - not a bad one listed  You can't go wrong having one built by either ADCO or MSTN- I know fellas who have used both for thier builds.  Outstanding people associated with both.
Link Posted: 8/1/2006 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Thank you everyone for such great info!

I am still stuck with the MOD 0 in my mind even though the Marine in me wants the best/newest....probably because I'm never issued newest/best until recently. Thanks God for wars...

Besides structural stability of MOD 0 forearm.....any other "problems/incidents"?

Thanks.

Tim
Link Posted: 8/1/2006 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#27]
This is wierd....I have a new Rock River lower in it's box and all I could think about at work today was an SPR build.  Wierd.
Link Posted: 8/6/2006 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Cocksuckers...............

I only got 10K.......

Sorry to bitch. As a Marine. I re-enlisted with no bonuses. Just Love of the Corps.

In 10 years. never got a bonus in the Marines.

Just figured the Army throws money at nasty druggies, and losers to enter the Army for numbers. I thought I deserved a bit for being a LIFER. Man! My attitude sucks! Sorry! LOL

Because I'm over 10years by 1 MONTH....it cuts it in half. My zone is now the B zone or whatever. I'll take it happily. I was gonna re-enlist anyway. Money or no. I'm military by choice.

Oh well.

I can only afford an upper now.

Wife and I agreed. Only way I'm gonna be able to get nicer rifles in the future is paying off credit debt now. I must agree.

I deploy this fall again. I'll have enough for the perfect SPR when I come home again.

Active duty Personnel?

Can I bring my SPR upper to Iraq? My CO seems to be cool with it. My Armorer is down with it.

Will I be alright packing it up on the reurn home with the rest of the Arms room in a pelican case?

I want to mount it on my M16A4 lower....

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 8/6/2006 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#29]
If you run out of places to find parts for a SPR build Pennsylvania Defense Consultants also has a large SPR based inventory. Good Luck and keep your head down.
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#30]

excist_and_reflect

I'm addicted to TOOL, and APC!

Good shit!

nice avatar!
Link Posted: 8/7/2006 8:16:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Damn IT!!! I can't afford another AR.... especially an SPR build.

But I'll take all this info on where to get the parts as a sign...!

Link Posted: 8/7/2006 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#32]
My version, built around a Bushy 1/9 18" barrel, and the can is fake. Still working on getting a better trigger.

Link Posted: 8/8/2006 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#33]
I had a Mk12 Mod0 and a Mk12 Mod1 and currently own a Mk11 Mod0 and a SAM/R. All are/were in the correct configuration minus the F/A lower.
The Mk12 Mod0 was nice in that it's weight made for a very steady platform. The downside was...it's weight. It's just a heavy ass rifle for a .223 precision platform.
The Mk12 Mod1 was very nice in that it was lighter and was actually slightly more accurate than the Mk12 Mod0. In my case, I liked it a great deal more than the Mk12 Mod0 because it was easier to wield about.

I have since changed the Mk12 Mod1 to a SAM/R by swapping out the barrel, gas block and front sight. The Devil Dog in me just wanted something the Corps used/uses. I sold off the parts of the Mod1 because I couldn't get the Ops Inc. can (at the time) and I thought that it would have really rounded out the package.
The Krieger barrel of the SAM/R I think is head and shoulders above a Douglas in that it is easier to clean and my velocities are better (and not because the slightly longer barrel) and unless you want a dead nuts clone down to the barrel manufacturer, you would be well served going with one.
With that said, since Ops Inc cans have become available for Civvies-I'm contemplating switching the SAM/R back to a Mk12 Mod1. If I do it this time, I'm going to spend the $450 smackers and have George Gardner and crew at G.A. Precision chamber and install a Rock or Broughton barrel for me, which I find to be very much superior to the Douglas and even Krieger barrel.
The Mk11 Mod0, what can I say about it. It is a heavy bitch, but is roughly comparable to an M40A3 in weight. It definetely hits harder than a .223/5.56, but that is a given. In tems of accuracy, it is as accurate as either of the SPR's but leaves bigger holes. It's a fun rifle to shoot and I have shot it out to 1000yds with no issues.

Here is my SAM/R with my M4-2000 attached:

And my Mk11 Mod0

Link Posted: 8/8/2006 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
excist_and_reflect

I'm addicted to TOOL, and APC!

Good shit!

nice avatar!

That makes two of us. Good eye on the avatar. You're the first to pick up on it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/8/2006 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#36]
wes has spoken............

and he also built my mod1 upper
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 4:22:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Thanks Alot Mr. Grant.

And everyone else too.

I think PRI was smart to make that forend like that. The eye is drawn to the Mod 0 look even if it is dated.....

I keep looking at it.

That was the first SPR I remember seeing 2 years ago......the MK12 Mod 0

Guess it's one of the golden oldies already.
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 4:55:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Got me that Leupold 3-9x36 M3 with ILL mildot at the PX!!!!

They had the option to buy 1 from the vendor for $889.00 no tax!

$889.00 shipped. I jumped on it.

Seems like they were $1,000.00 plus everywhere else.

Did I get a good deal on it????

Link Posted: 8/14/2006 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Looks like you got about a 150.00 discount there.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#40]
I've asked this question before and never received an answer and could not find the answer elsewhere.  Which PRI flipup to buy for Mk12 mod0?

PRI Flip Up Front Sight with .750 Crossbolt?
PRI Flip Up Front Sight with .625 w/ Crossbolt?
PRI Flip Up Front Sight with .750 w/ set screws?
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Is it true that the OPS INC brakes, and collars ADCO, JTAC, and others are selling, are NOT real? That the only real ones come with the suppressor from OPS INC? I keep hearing that alot. Same with barrel diameter on these 18" SPR stainless barrels....

I get that I cannot receiver a built one from whatever shadow contractor is building these. But I'm reading that it's more about proper tools, torque, and parts, then it being from the "hands" of the SPR god himself.....

Whaaa

The first part is not true whatesoever.  Yes, a brake set comes with every OPS Inc suppressor, but the brake sets are available separately too.  ADCO does make (at least used to) a replica brake and collar, but there was no deception there, it was clearly marketed as a replica.  ADCO now sells OPS Inc brake sets when they are available.

Yes, there is nothing unique about contract-built SPRs, all the parts are COTS. Tthere are build techniques that go into contract SPRs that are known only to a few of the commercial builders out there.  It's not as easy and thoughtless as screwing everything together.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#42]

The first part is not true whatesoever.  Yes, a brake set comes with every OPS Inc suppressor, but the brake sets are available separately too.  ADCO does make (at least used to) a replica brake and collar, but there was no deception there, it was clearly marketed as a replica.  ADCO now sells OPS Inc brake sets when they are available.

Yes, there is nothing unique about contract-built SPRs, all the parts are COTS. Tthere are build techniques that go into contract SPRs that are known only to a few of the commercial builders out there.  It's not as easy and thoughtless as screwing everything together.

Thanks. I really just want what everyone here want's........

PERFECTION!!!!!

lol

I'm excited!

Link Posted: 8/16/2006 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
i105.photobucket.com/albums/m208/HKocher/SPRNSX.jpg

Nice...........

Is the concensus that I should use A.R.M.S. #40L's for my A.R.M.S. #22M rings with 3-9x36 leupold???

#40M/standards are too high for eye relief/stock weld?????

Or is it a scope clearance thing???

Link Posted: 8/16/2006 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I've asked this question before and never received an answer and could not find the answer elsewhere.  Which PRI flipup to buy for Mk12 mod0?

PRI Flip Up Front Sight with .750 Crossbolt? This is the one I use
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 5:00:43 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

As far as the backup sight the ARMS 40 is the one in the "Black rifle 2" and "Guns and Ammo" book of the AR, so for a clone build this is the one I went with.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 5:06:46 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

As far as the backup sight the ARMS 40 is the one in the "Black rifle 2" and "Guns and Ammo" book of the AR, so for a clone build this is the one I went with.

I thought so.....

I'm sure there are better mounts today then a few years ago. But I want an exact copy.....or as exact as possible.....

minus the "real deal" barrel, and contractor work.......

ALSO:

If someone wanted to purchase a scope via AAFES.... Here is a link....sounds like it's a good deal price-wise. It cost me $889.00 Shipped.

https://thor.aafes.com/ics/product.asp?dept_id=14700&pfid=I243Z&drill=dept=6000//dept=6465//dept=14700//price=8&mscssid=1G6HQTEAPGHX9M86R6KX76P77XNK1LN5
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:08:16 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I thought so.....

I'm sure there are better mounts today then a few years ago. But I want an exact copy.....or as exact as possible.....

minus the "real deal" barrel, and contractor work.......

ALSO:

If someone wanted to purchase a scope via AAFES.... Here is a link....sounds like it's a good deal price-wise. It cost me $889.00 Shipped.

https://thor.aafes.com/ics/product.asp?dept_id=14700&pfid=I243Z&drill=dept=6000//dept=6465//dept=14700//price=8&mscssid=1G6HQTEAPGHX9M86R6KX76P77XNK1LN5

Nice to know someone else is trying to build a "clone" and not just a 18 rifle with a carbon fiber tube on it (not that there is anything wrong with phantom breaks, scope with target turrets and telescoping stocks) but if your building a clone.................

Are you blacking out the barrel?

Got mine from white oak top notch job and I didnt even scratch it sliding on the front sight

I will be able to post mine next week, my top rail beat my scope to my door,  
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Not sure if I'm gonna black re-finish.

Bought the Black Rifle 2 today. I have the Book of the AR by Guns & Ammo.

I've seen both. Whatever is more authentic.

Also Musky. Does your name mean Musky as in the fish?

I like Minnesota Walleye better
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#50]
I believe the Millitary doesnt want there designated marksmen exposed with a high polished barrel. So the black barrel makes sence.

Also the photo's in "Black Rifle 2" Do not show a natural stainless barrel.

What we need is some pics of guys holding them in the field. In fact I think I will start a post requesting pics of MK12 Mod 0 and Mod 1 (clones or actual)

Best of luck

And Musky means the fish.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top