Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/6/2012 12:11:37 PM EDT
Hey guys, a bunch of guys and myself are interesting in doing a group buy on some raw forgings.  It is possible to buy them directly from the forge?  Any numbers or contacts would be greatly appreciated!  TIA!
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys, a bunch of guys and myself are interesting in doing a group buy on some raw forgings.  It is possible to buy them directly from the forge?  Any numbers or contacts would be greatly appreciated!  TIA!

I can try and source a contact or two regarding raw forgings for both DPMS LR-308 and AR-10 pattern raw forgings...
Be fore-warned that the 0% forgings are very time consuming and requires a X3 or larger mill and perferbly
w/ a 3 Axis DRO and the tools/bits/endmills needed are considerable.

The 80% forgings/billet CNC's are the way to go IMHO, unless you want the challenge of a 0% forging..

[email protected]

http://illirianengineeringc.ipage.com/
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

DSA has them:

Lower

Flat Top Upper

A2 Upper
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Thx for the leads guys!

Have any of year of Brass Aluminum Forgings?
http://www.baforging.com/

Any opinions of the quality?
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can try and source a contact or two regarding raw forgings for both DPMS LR-308 and AR-10 pattern raw forgings...
Be fore-warned that the 0% forgings are very time consuming and requires a X3 or larger mill and perferbly
w/ a 3 Axis DRO and the tools/bits/endmills needed are considerable.

The 80% forgings/billet CNC's are the way to go IMHO, unless you want the challenge of a 0% forging..

[email protected]

http://illirianengineeringc.ipage.com/

Thanks for the offer.  I didn't mention that I needed an AR15 pattern, my mistake.  And thank for the heads up on the 0% info!

Much appreciated!  :D
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh yes.  I bought a case of ~100 or so from Anchor Harvey (?)  - the "A" logo, grey and blue letterhead for about 15bucks apiece about 10 years ago.  There are greater discounts if you buy by the pallet.  

I'm sure other companies who own dies will do the same.  That is part of the problem.  Some of the really cool forgings are made on proprietary dies  and not owned by the forging companies.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top