Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/16/2003 6:39:25 PM EDT
Anyone know a good way to reduce rattle on standard handguards and the trapdoor on A2 buttstocks. I kind of have a pet peeve about things that rattle, it just makes me feel like my rifle is a cheap POS.

As for the front sling swivel I just put a black zip tie around the base of it with the locking part facing the rear of the rifle. It still allows it to swing but if you push it all the way towards the front of the rifle it sort of "locks" it in place. I read this trick somewhere but just can't remember where. Works very good and you can't even tell its their if you cut the excess flush.

-William
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 10:38:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2003 10:44:58 PM EDT by A_Free_Man]
I had posted the zip tie on the swivel thing. Other silencing tricks: Put a bead of black hi-temp silicone (the kind used for engine gaskets)on the front of the handguards, in the grooves where they engage the cap, and inside at the back in the slot that fits on the teeth of the barrel nut. Any that oozes out, let it harden, the slice off the excess with a sharp knife. That takes out the wiggling and creaking. Next time you disassemble, the silicone can be easily peeled off. Never had a problem with the trapdoor. Edited to add: And I use an Accu-Wedge to take up the slack between the upper and lower on a couple of my AR's
Top Top