Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2004 10:22:56 AM EDT
I ordered this scope a few weeks ago after reading about them on the 'net and here.  It is a fixed 5x with range finding illuminating reticle.  It also has a 100 to 500 yard bullet drop compensator.  It seems like a sturdy scope with very clear optics.  I used an armalite one piece mount on my Model 1 16" lightweight barrel.  I like this scope because it is compact.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p6f3d6e0ea50dfede03c65ea6c4519ed0/f72fdeef.jpg.orig.jpg
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Uhh were is the range report?  Did I miss it?

Did it pass the 'box' test?  Did you do a test drop?

How is the clarity?  Any Pics?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Uhh were is the range report?  Did I miss it?

Did it pass the 'box' test?  Did you do a test drop?

How is the clarity?  Any Pics?

+1
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Let me try the pic again.  It worked when I posted it.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p6f3d6e0ea50dfede03c65ea6c4519ed0/f72fdeef.jpg.thumb.jpg

The clarity is very good.  I don't have much experience with scopes.  Up until now I just shot with iron sights.  I have a couple of rifles with Leupold's on them.  I would say it's just as clear as them.

I shot from prone at 25 and 100 yards.  With 3 shot groups, I could usually make 2 of the three touch at 25.  At 100 yards, it opened up to a 2 to 2 1/2" group.  I'm sure the rifle is more accurate than that, I'm just not a great shot.  I was shooting some ammo I bought at a gun show.  It was advertised as Winchester "mil-spec"  I bought a 1000 round case.  The shell's are all marked LC with varying dates from '00 to '03.  It may vary more, that is just what I've come across so far.

I didn't do a drop test.  What exactly do you suggest?  Let me know if you want to know anything else.  Sorry I wasn't very clear with my first post.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok, the pic works now, it's just way too small.  Let me try again.  I hope it works this time!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p6f3d6e0ea50dfede03c65ea6c4519ed0/f72fdeef.jpg

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I got my LU model yesterday. It was a PITA lining up with the mount trying to keep the reticle straight. They should put hashmarks so it would be easy to line up.
So far the scope looks very sturdy and well made. Let's see if I can use it this weekend and let you guys know.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I got my LU model yesterday. It was a PITA lining up with the mount trying to keep the reticle straight. They should put hashmarks so it would be easy to line up.
So far the scope looks very sturdy and well made. Let's see if I can use it this weekend and let you guys know.

Wow I thought it was just me!  I had trouble lining it up to.  I finally turned on the reticle illumination and held the rifle as far out in front of me as I could.  I could see the crosshairs and it was easy to line it up.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:08:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll save you from having to drop yours. I dropped mine on hard anoleum once from about 5'. Wasn't mounted on gun so I don't know if it lost zero but it didn't break or dent. Mine was an early one and I found the clicks to be spuratic. Also mine had a yellow haze.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:16:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I noticed a yellow tint to the optics when I looked through it in the house.  When I'm outside I don't notice it.

Can you guys see the pic?  I've tried three times in this thread to post the pic.  They always work after I post, but then the next day they don't.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#9]
FordTruck,
Thanks for the additional info, and I can see the pics now.

This is a test I did for the site on a 'cheap red-dot' last month: BSA RD-30 Review

IIRC I outline the 'Box Test' and the 'drop test' I did.

Now it's not the drop test I do on 'serious' stuff, but it's enough to know if the optic will break or get knocked off zero for a good 'whack' or 'ding' that might occur at the range or cleaning table.

I was planning on getting that scope or another similar to it for a similar review - as there seems to be some interest in this forum for 'Cheap optics that hold up for range use'.

BTW if you don't mind asking - where did you get yours and what did it cost?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Forest,

I bought mine off of gunbroker.com for $169.95.  It was right at $10 for shipping.

I'll check out your drop test and post again.  It will be late next week at the earliest since I'm going on vacation.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top