Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/6/2005 12:56:03 AM EDT
Took the M4-A3 out to the range for the first time today, this being my first AR, I needed lots of pointers, I got her sighted in at 30 meters and was able to group some Remington 55 grain UMC rounds at 300 1 inch groups. I took her home broke her down ran a bore snake through the barrel a couple of times, cleaned the bolt with some solvent and wiped and cleaned the firing pin, just wondering if this cleaning process was good and if I should stick to it. I used Hoppers bench rest 9 to clean the bolt and firing pin. And wipe the finish down, is the alright. And are Remington UMC 55 grain rounds ok to keep using?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:50:30 AM EDT
NOOOO!!! Don't use Hoppe's 9 to clean and lube your rifle. It is a copper solvent. It is going to make your receivers dry as a bone as well as everything else. Go to the store get some Break Free CLP and clean the whole rifle again. RIGHT NOW!!! Hoppes is a bore cleaner and is decent to soak the bolt in while cleaning the rest of the rifle but it doesn't lube a damn thing. CLP cleans, lubes and protects. I am willing to bet if you look at your rifle right about now it looks horrible.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:55:10 AM EDT
Your cleaning methods are ok. I like to use CLP/Breakfree when I'm done. Remington ammo will do you fine for range work. Do try other ammo types to see if there is any accuracy differencies.

CD

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:01:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By YELLOWV:
NOOOO!!! Don't use Hoppe's 9 to clean and lube your rifle. It is a copper solvent. It is going to make your receivers dry as a bone as well as everything else. Go to the store get some Break Free CLP and clean the whole rifle again. RIGHT NOW!!! Hoppes is a bore cleaner and is decent to soak the bolt in while cleaning the rest of the rifle but it doesn't lube a damn thing. CLP cleans, lubes and protects. I am willing to bet if you look at your rifle right about now it looks horrible.

Big +1

Alternatively, you could try Militec-1
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:19:42 AM EDT
I think you are doing fine.

Just a note, Bushmaster recommends that you shoot a few hundred rounds through a chrome-lined barrel before you clean it:

www.bushmaster.com/faqnew/content_by_cat.asp?contentid=167&catid=100

G
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:59:24 AM EDT
A few days ago you asked the question about cleaning and your post generated three pages of mostly useful information.

Yet here you are asking the same thing again. I suggest going back and re-reading your earlier thread. Your cleaning questions have already been answered.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:05:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hylton:
Took the M4-A3 out to the range for the first time today, this being my first AR, I needed lots of pointers, I got her sighted in at 30 meters and was able to group some Remington 55 grain UMC rounds at 300 1 inch groups. I took her home broke her down ran a bore snake through the barrel a couple of times, cleaned the bolt with some solvent and wiped and cleaned the firing pin, just wondering if this cleaning process was good and if I should stick to it. I used Hoppers bench rest 9 to clean the bolt and firing pin. And wipe the finish down, is the alright. And are Remington UMC 55 grain rounds ok to keep using?

300 what?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:40:39 AM EDT
Well being that the Hoppers is already on the bolt and firing pin, will it still be ok? I’m glad I didn’t use it on the finish, what product besides car products is good for the finish that is intended for a gun? and what should I use on the bolt and insides?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:02:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SWO_daddy:
A few days ago you asked the question about cleaning and your post generated three pages of mostly useful information.

Yet here you are asking the same thing again. I suggest going back and re-reading your earlier thread. Your cleaning questions have already been answered.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:13:08 PM EDT

Well being that the Hoppers is already on the bolt and firing pin, will it still be ok? I’m glad I didn’t use it on the finish, what product besides car products is good for the finish that is intended for a gun? and what should I use on the bolt and insides?

Well, perhaps you can look here for some pointers.

If you don't have time, perhaps you should consider using Crisco? I've heard it does a great job.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:41:32 PM EDT
I noticed when I fired my Bushmaster that the brass deflector on the gun was left with gold marks from the shells ejecting, will this come off?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:31:00 PM EDT

I noticed when I fired my Bushmaster that the brass deflector on the gun was left with gold marks from the shells ejecting, will this come off?

The brass marks are o.k. All Ar's get them.
Keep shooting and have fun.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:06:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/6/2005 3:07:06 PM EDT by YELLOWV]
I am sorry but do you bother reading any of the answers you have gotten to your questions? I mean we have told you numerous things to use and you still ask what to do. And yes did you say you were shooting 1" groups at 300yrds? I hope not. Because we all know remington UMC would be lucky to see 8" groups at 300.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:26:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By YELLOWV:
I am sorry but do you bother reading any of the answers you have gotten to your questions? I mean we have told you numerous things to use and you still ask what to do. And yes did you say you were shooting 1" groups at 300yrds? I hope not. Because we all know remington UMC would be lucky to see 8" groups at 300.

Oh no, don't ask him to go back and re-read his own fucking thread.... I did and got the dirty look.

I'm done with this dumbass. People who won't help themselves are not worth my time.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:44:31 PM EDT
First AR and first time shooting it and you shot 1" groups at 300 yards. You sir are a god...

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:46:13 PM EDT
Should have looked at my previous thread, didn’t think to look, sorry, next time I will, I grouped some UMC rounds at 30 yards not 300, extra zero, sorry for the stupid, my question was answered. Thanks
Top Top