Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2004 12:04:08 PM EDT
Well ladies and gentlemen, I just thought I'd share my experience today.  First trip to the range with my new stick and first trigger time on an A2 since turning mine back into the Marine Corps armorer almost 10 years ago to the week.

I'll preface this by telling you that I shoot a small bore silhouette competition every 3rd Saturday of the month and today was my third shoot.  I won the last two months but was runner up today.

Anyway, after that was over, I stayed to bring out my new "little friend" and put some rounds through this virgin honey.  My new stick is:

RRA 20" Heavy SS Wilson barrel with 1:8 twist, "pre (no) ban config.

RRA standard A2 lower with RRA 2 stage NM trigger with standard A2 iron sights.

I decided to go with the improved BZO and started at 50 yards @ 8/3 -2 and mechanical zero for windage and a flush front sight post.  Ammunition was Wolff 62 gr. FMJ.  Just wanted cheap stuff to break her in.  

Target was a 3" orange bull on a 8 1/2" X 11" piece of paper.  Damn front post swallows that up at 50 yards!

Let me tell you something guys, those first three rounds took me straight back to Edson Range at Camp P!  The last ten years I've concentrated on long range (sniper) shooting and combat handgunning.  It was SWEEEET to have a service rifle back in my hands!

Anyway, first three were 10 -11 o'clock just inside the orange. Not a good group but I contribute that to a brand new barrel and my lack of service rifle shooting in awhile.  It took a little bit to get the feel of the trigger and I was right back in the groove.  It seemed like the new stick and I came around together.  "This is my rifle..."

After messing with things a little, I left the front post flush and added 2 clicks R wind.  Total of 30 rounds, 1 mag., and I was done at the 50.  Groups were still tightening up when I moved to the 200 yard line.  The range I shoot at has a 24" steel plate at 200 and 300 yard lines.  I was shooting from a table using the ass pack of my 782 gear as a rest.  This time wasn't about me getting in positions but breaking the rifle in and sights set.

So, at 200, I let my first round loose from a fresh magazine.  Lead on steel but FTE and failure to cycle with a stuck closed bolt.  Hmm.  After assuring it was an empty case stuck, I slid a cleaning rod down the tube, tapped once and was able to open the bolt.  No deformities that I could see and chalked it up to being Wolff.

Three more rounds at the 200, click to 8/3 and sent three rounds down range at the 300 yard plate.  Drove down to check targets.  The plates were beat up enough that even with a 36x spotting scope, we couldn't tell shot placement.  All rounds were on steel but high at 12 o'clock.

One click up on the front post, three rounds at 200, three rounds at 300.  200 yards had 3 rounds of mashed lead in the same hole dead center of the bull and 300 had 3 rounds of mashed lead in the same hole at 6 o'clock on the edge of the bull.  The bull was a 3" circle painted black.  Sorry, no pics.  Don't have a digital camera, you'll just have to take my word.

That was it for the day but I could not have been more plaesed.  All I can say is Rock River, Rocks!!  A highly skilled Marine behind a finely tuned weapon and it just doesn't get any better than that!

I love the A2 config.  Standard A2 sights.  No scopes, rails, FF tubes, check pads, etc, etc, etc.  One thing comes to mind...

It was good for Chesty Puller,

It was good for Smedley Butler,

It was good for 'ole Dan Daly,

And it's good enough for me!

Now, I'll be doing a lot snapping in to get use to the positions again in prep for high power comp.  Which is nothing more than Marine Corps qualifications.  Find a decent match ammo that this stick likes and I'll be good to go!

I know that somewhere right now, my Drill Instructors and PMI's have a smile on their face and they don't even know why!

Semper Fi!

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#1]
You must have had a hell of a time on that rifle range.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:06:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
those first three rounds took me straight back to Edson Range at Camp P!  

Good shooting! Ah, Edson Range... probably the reason my first no-ban rifle is a 20" A2 also. For the full effect, the smell of just fired Q3131A will make your head spin.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
those first three rounds took me straight back to Edson Range at Camp P!  

Good shooting! Ah, Edson Range... probably the reason my first no-ban rifle is a 20" A2 also. For the full effect, the smell of just fired Q3131A will make your head spin.

Ahh man, I got to tell you.  After about ten rounds you could smell "that smell".  The smell you only get from an M16 / AR15!  It was great!

I just took a couple of pics my cheeso' camera if someone can put up.  Took them during my cleaning phase and when I finished.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#4]
For me...a bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
For me...a bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!  

I hear ya, and a good day at the range is near orgasmic!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Nice shooting!

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:30:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Bump for day crew
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top