Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 2:44:42 AM EST
How can you range find with any of the ACOG reticules?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:19:41 AM EST
you can't.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:20:28 AM EST
The width of the stadia lines is approximately that of an average man's torso at the range indicated.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:53:45 AM EST
Originally Posted By murderman:
The width of the stadia lines is approximately that of an average man's torso at the range indicated.

+1

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:52:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By Texas_Rick:
you can't.

What kind of non ranging ACOG do you have? Only the compacts without BDC dont range a shilouette width.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:12:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By DevL:
you can't.

What kind of non ranging ACOG do you have? Only the compacts without BDC dont range a shilouette width.

I have the TAO1NSN which has a BDC reticle. You need a Mildot scope to range effectively.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:13:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 7:17:50 AM EST by MOS2111]
you can't.

Can, as the horizontal hash marks on the TA31F represent 19 inches at the indicated distance. I use mine to range a steel plate that is 24in that my buddy sticks out at UKD range for me.

Its called practice.

19 inches and plates 24. If it larger or smaller than the hash marks it is either closer or further. I can make a decent guess with mine and I confirm it with my range finder before I shoot.... If I were shooting at people, whos average shoulder to shoulder silhouette is around 19 inches I could range them from 400 - 800 in roughly 50 yd increments....

You can also use the eotecs 65moa circle to do rough range finding on people.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:31:01 AM EST
How well does the BDC in acog's work? I plan to be shooting 62gr ammo, and maybe even 77gr out of a 16in bbl and would like to know if the holdover indicated are true.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:04:31 AM EST
77 tracks better with a .308 BDC than 5.56 and a lot have the 62 grain BDC for 5.56 and it will track great with 62 grain ammo.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:06:56 PM EST

you can't.

I have the TAO1NSN which has a BDC reticle. You need a Mildot scope to range effectively.

You might, but the rest of us learn to use the tools at hand to their best advantage....which includes ranging with an ACOG, MOA reticle, duplex, or whatever reference points are available.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:01:50 PM EST
With the 4x ta- whatever sf version, there are horizontal stadia lines which represent 19" (avg width of an adult male across the shoulders). They are broken down from 200 to (I think) 600 meters, in 100 meter increments. BTW, us mil issue e-type silouettes are 19" wide. The shooter looks at his target (man) and determines which line he best fits in, and this is the hold. If its between, hold between.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:07:52 PM EST

you can't.

Not true. I have plenty of teammates besides myself who have put this piece of kit to the test, and it works. Not to toot my own horn, but I got a one shot strike to the head through a window at 200 meters in a gunfight. So within the effective range of the M4 and the 4x ACOG, this method is more than adequete to both range and engage accurately. There are other examples of being able to efficiently range with various reticles (including ballistic hunting reticles) but I wont labor the point.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:10:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By m1ajunkie:
How well does the BDC in acog's work? I plan to be shooting 62gr ammo, and maybe even 77gr out of a 16in bbl and would like to know if the holdover indicated are true.

The acog is OPTIMIZED for 62 gr from a 14.5, but the marines have good results using it from a 20" A2. When using black hills 77 gr, and a 14.5 I have found the group to be slightly high, but it also depends on the shooter's ability to group in the first place.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:54:53 AM EST
The stadia lines are the width of that of an average man's shoulder at known distances. If you're ranging scrawny little guys in Asia...well even that's close enough.

Mildot requires a lot of training and practice, the ACOG's stadia lines are much easier to use, no math required
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:57:13 AM EST
Originally Posted By shrapmagnet:
With the 4x ta- whatever sf version, there are horizontal stadia lines which represent 19" (avg width of an adult male across the shoulders). They are broken down from 200 to (I think) 600 meters, in 100 meter increments. BTW, us mil issue e-type silouettes are 19" wide. The shooter looks at his target (man) and determines which line he best fits in, and this is the hold. If its between, hold between.

starts at 400 goes to 800.... Its not a SF version, its almost the same one the USMC issues ........
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:16:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By MOS2111:
Originally Posted By shrapmagnet:

starts at 400 goes to 800.... Its not a SF version, its almost the same one the USMC issues ........

Yes- 4-8 w/ chevron at top is used by conv. army too- the chevron is for ranging 2-300. The "SF" version - trijicon calls it that because its part of SOPMOD kit- has the lines starting at 200, and no chevron.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:18:00 AM EST
Originally Posted By Duffy:
The stadia lines are the width of that of an average man's shoulder at known distances. If you're ranging scrawny little guys in Asia...well even that's close enough.

Mildot requires a lot of training and practice, the ACOG's stadia lines are much easier to use, no math required

+1.
Top Top