Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/15/2005 4:19:15 PM EST
I went shooting today with my Bushmaster and my ruger mini-14. I was shooting mostly winchester white box in my Bushmaster, which worked great, and Barnaul Wolf type laquer cased ammo in the mini 14, just because I don't really like shooting it in my AR. I couldn't help to notice that the Barnaul was causing a HUGE yellow orange fireball from the muzzle of the Mini 14, which had a bare muzzle with no flash suppressor. As it got closer to dark, the more noticeable the fireball became. I decided to break down and try the Barnaul in my 14.5 barrel Bushmaster with a permanently attached phantom, just to see how well it supressed the flame. There was absolutley NO flash whatsoever with the phantom, not even a noticable spark from the barrell. Even when rapid firing, there was no noticeable flash. When I shot the same ammo rapidly from the mini-14, I couldn't even see the target because the flash was blocking my field of view.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:09:22 AM EST
Thanks, I allways wondered if they worked as well as Vortex. Guess so now!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:47:41 AM EST
My old-school phantom (4 slots all the way around) reduced Wolf to a few sparks on my 14.5" M4. Good enough for me, considering I get a basketball-sized fireball out of my bare Mini-14 barrel. One of these days I'm going to take all the rifles out in the dark and do some open-shutter flash tests.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:23:58 AM EST
My YHM-29 Phantom (5 ports all the way around, no serrations) on my 14.5" BM works just as well. Most of the time no flash or anything. Maybe 20% of time there's a spark or two.

I've never seen a single spark out of my older Vortex (G4?), so I wouldn't say they work equally well.

Ammo of course has some affect on the potential amount of flash to begin with.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:31:21 AM EST
I wouldn't say it works as good as a vortex, but it does do a good job
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:33:17 AM EST
Its amazing how well they supress flash. Those are some nice photos RolandofGilead.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:39:37 AM EST
Every time I see pics like those I remember how much I like A2's for the money. Granted I tend to shoot in the light of day...
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:43:17 AM EST
I just picked up my Bushmaster Carbine with PhantonII. Have yet to fire it but by the looks of this thread, I picked the right suppressor. Thanks for the pics!
Top Top