Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/11/2003 2:16:58 PM EDT
Do you have any problems with your local range not allowing you to shoot M855? I've read that its a problem at indoor ranges. Has anybody had a problem at a outdoor range?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#1]
All the indoor ranges by me won't allow FMJ in a rifle round, let alone one with a steel penetrator.  Outdoors you should have no problem.  With the velocity of rifle rounds, I believe most indoor ranges are worried about safety.  The rounds may richochet back with enough energy to do some serious damage.  Not to mention the wear and tear on the walls.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:02:05 AM EDT
[#2]
There aren't too many high-velocity rifle rounds that will bounce back into a shooters face.  At close ranges, a FMJ bullet travelling 2700 fps will almost desintigrate completely, or perforate the surface it strikes.

I think the main concern in destruction of target holders and the structure
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Been there, done that. As a youngster, I went to an indoor range, paid my money, and dragged in all my junk. The range person didn't notice that among the stuff was an 8mm G-43. I got off 3 well aimed VERY loud shots before I was approached. Range Person got very upset. I perforated the steel backing plates and holed the concrete block wall behind it (basement range fortunately). He wanted to kick me out but also wanted to keep my money. I shot the rest of my time with only handguns.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:27:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I live in southern California, where the cloest outdoor range available to me is San Gabrial Valley Gun Club (A.K.A Fish Canyon). They do not allow M855/SS109 or vertually anything that's steel core or steel jacket, said to cause brush fires. I also work at an indoor range part-time (www.on-targetrange.com), we use the frangible stuff for ppl who wants to shoot high power rifle indoor (why would anyone wants to do that anyway?) Our backstop rating is 1700fps, that pretty much says everything.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#7]
An indoor range I used to go to used to allows you to shoot rifle's up to 30-06. FMJ or JHP/jsp. But you could not shoot steel core, Steel Jacket or steel cased ammo. I could see steel core or Jacket but why the steel Jacket I dont know.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, steel-JACKETED ammo is a real danger in the PRK.  My local range has had fires the last 2 out of 4 years that were started by people shooting (prohibited) steel-jacketed ammo.  The steel will spark when it hits a rock, and will easily start a fire in the dry weeds that cover most of the open land in the PRK.

M855 should NOT cause the same problem, but most ranges are too ignorant, lazy, or distrusting to make the distinction...

-Troy
View Quote

You should see the sparks when M855 hits armor plate. I would think M855 sparks more on other surfaces than lead cored bullets.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top