Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/7/2018 12:56:28 PM EDT
Has anyone seen charts or research showing the results of using the JM-1 reticle to range estimate. Similar to the BDC hatchmarks on an ACOG translating to the width of an average man sized target at the cooresponding distance that the hatch mark is set for. For example... if I look at the first hatchmark on a TA-31 ACOG. That hatchmark translates to the 400 yard impact for 5.56/.223. Now I'm under them impression that that same hatchmark would fit a man sized targets shoulder width at 400 yards. Allowing you to quickly determine if your target is at the right distance for your current point of hold on the BDC reticle. So what I'm asking is, is there a way to replicate this same process with the JM-1 reticle?
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You didn’t see this on their website?

http://vortexoptics.com/uploads/web_man_rfl_razor-hd_jm-1.pdf
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 12:19:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You didn't see this on their website?

http://vortexoptics.com/uploads/web_man_rfl_razor-hd_jm-1.pdf
View Quote
Yes I saw that. But that only gives me the information on bullet impact at different distances. It doesn't give any information on range estimation, which is what I was wanting to know.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 12:25:56 AM EDT
[#3]
You can range estimate with any reticle if you know the size of the reticle elements in mils and the size of your target in meters.  Then its just math. (you can do it with inches and moa too, or whatever units you like)

Google is your friend.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 4:10:38 AM EDT
[#4]
JM-1 is 9in at 200 300 400 500 600.

Average width of a male shoulder to shoulder is 18-19in so double the JM-1 stadia.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#5]
if I remember correctly, the JM-1 reticle at 4x power is equal to 18/19” at the corresponding ranges like an ACOG.

Check on Strelok App to be sure.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Average width of a male shoulder to shoulder is 18-19in so double the JM-1 stadia.
View Quote
Perfect! That answeredy question. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:27:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Perfect! That answeredy question. Thank you.
View Quote
You’re welcome OP
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.

If ranging via shoulders, it should subtend from the center of the chest to the outside of one shoulder.

It is very quick on 8-10 round pieces of steel target as well.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top