Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2005 12:31:12 PM EDT
I did a search, but couldn't find any info. If I mount the Eotech (zero magnification) on an AR-15 (RRA "Tactical Entry), what is the range at which I'll see the accuracy/effectivene range of the weapon reduced by the capability of the optics ??

For example, with the Trijicon TA01NSN currently mounted on this rifle, I guess I have optics and a weapon that will outshoot my ability out to several hundred meters.

If I replace the Trijicon with the Eotech (for a closer range tactical weapon) what's a "reasonable" effective range for shooting the Eotech (assuming a human size target and assuming "plinking" targets ?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#1]
depends on how good your eyes are and your ability to hold over
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#2]
This is pure speculation but. I would say at least as far as you could shoot with Iron sights. Marines qualfy at 800 meters with iroms so the eotech with its 1 inch moa dot should be good to at least that far. The furthest I have shot mine is 300 yards but I was not really trying to go further.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:57:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm planning on doing some shooting out to 700yds when the corn is taken out. Course, this is not what the EOThingy was designed for, but with the proper application of Kentucky Elevation, anything is possible.

I think you'd be able to get consistant, and pretty fast, hits out to 300yds. 400 if you take your time and aim a little high.

You just have to know how much your round is going to drop at a given range and you have a good chance of hitting what you're shooting at.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
We hit steel IDPA targets at 600 yards in a class I went to back in June, and I agree that it's only limited by your eyesight, ability judge wind and range, and the .223's ability to go that far.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
depends on how good your eyes are and your ability to hold over

the accuracy/effectivene range of the weapon reduced by the capability of the optics ??

best generic answer for a question about the ability of the optic and rifle, NOT the user, the user's vision or ability to hold over.  Not trying to be a dick, but are you just trying to hit 10k posts in 2 years?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot all the time with my 11.5 SBR with an EO Tech on mine at 2000 meters.  Of course, most of it's point shooting.

In reality, I see this as a good 300 yard setup without having to screw too much with holdover.  You can go further I'm sure, but I don't think that's what the intent was for this type of optic (to me, it's much better close up).  Oh, and I don't have an SBR.  I was just dreaming.

And the Marine Qual course (at least when I was in) only goes out to 500.  The max effective range for the M16A2 by their standards is 550m for a point target, 800m for an area target.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd say my max range for consistent hitting is 300-400m as stated by SMGLee.  

I have however had decent success with my EOThingy on my 14.5" LMT upper out to 500m.  While I was not getting superb results, it was definately accurate enough to hit a chest sized gong with a high enough rate of success that no one would want to be on the receiving end, and it would definately be enough to keep anyone's head behind cover on that end.  I have not had an opportunity to test the optic at any distance further than 500m.  

I also agree with SMGLee that ammo is a big factor in this game.  I was using 55gr factory reloads and some 62gr (green tip projectile) handloads that my father made.  I dare say that his 77 or 80gr SMK handloads would have faired better simply for their ability to handle the wind better, and on a threat would surely out perform the rounds I was using.

YMMV.

Airborne

Dave
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top