Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 1:18:46 AM EDT
i'm looking at getting a YHM 4 rail forearm for an M4gery i'm building, but can't decide between the standard or light version. what do ya'll think?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:01:35 AM EDT
[#1]
No brainer, IMO. Always make the lighter choice, ya might actually have to carry it someday. (FYI, I own a rifle length YHM lite-weight forend, it's nice)

Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:33:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No brainer, IMO. Always make the lighter choice, ya might actually have to carry it someday. (FYI, I own a rifle length YHM lite-weight forend, it's nice)

Mike

+1
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I had the standard version...I didn't like the cutouts on the lightweight version, but to each his own. The YHM was a real nice piece....

+1 for the YHM Standard
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I had the standard version...I didn't like the cutouts on the lightweight version, but to each his own. The YHM was a real nice piece....

+1 for the YHM Standard

+1

Here's my baby... just got it back from Eagle about two weeks ago.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#5]
there's only a 4 oz difference between them. is it noticable? Edge that's pretty much what i'm trying to put together.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:17:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Topgun, it's really solid.  I can hold the firearm by the forearm, and it feels just as solid to me as if I were holding it by the pistol grip.  I used to have M33's on my M4gery, and the difference is literaly night and day.  I'm waiting for my Knights rail covers, but after that, I think I'm done with this one (for now).  I've already ordered more lowers and another M4 kit... this time, for my son.  I'm going to get the .22LR conversion for it so that he can shoot to his hearts content when we go to the range.  I somehow feel better with him shooting 550 rounds for $8.50 than 40 for $7.50.  

Personally, I feel that I made the right decision with YHM.  Price aside, it does everything I wanted it to do... getting it done at half the price of many of the competitors is bonus.  With the money I saved getting the YHM, I bought another lower receiver.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#7]
how's the balance? does it feel front heavy? are you using the forearm end cap with it or letting it free float? thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Spectre length light-weight tube. Bright Flashlights in the Industry forum got me mine for $100 shipped.
The barrel nut wrench for $25 made the job real easy. I was surprised it took les than 15 minutes.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
how's the balance? does it feel front heavy? are you using the forearm end cap with it or letting it free float? thanks for your input.

The balance feels good to me.  It doesn't feel front heavy to me at all.  My brother-in-law prefers it without the forearm, while I prefer the forearm, but either way, it feels solid and balanced.  On a whole, it does feel more solid now, as compared to when it had the plastic handguards on it, though (and the handguards fit well, but they were, of course, plastic).  I *do* like the fact that it feels like a more solid weapon now.  I am not using the end cap, and it is free floated.  I have read and heard a lot regarding the use of the end caps, and in the end, Chris at Eagle convinced me with the argument that it helps dissipate heat faster without the cap on.

Hope this helps.  

Edited to add picture.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top