Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/5/2006 2:51:00 PM EST
I know this has probably been beaten to death (more than 87 times) but could'nt find anything doing a search.
I've basically decided to either go with the Magpul XT's or the Tango Downs but wanted to hear some pros and cons of each before ordering. Or if you know of a better or equal brand then please share those also.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:18:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/5/2006 3:18:42 PM EST by ALPHAGHOST]
check "rail" or "cover" and scan through those in your search

but while i'm here.....the TGs are thicker, "beefier", and slip on easy--they are a hard plastic composite
the texture is a little rougher

the MagPul XTs are more flexible--seems like a plastic-rubber material--they dont slip on, they snap on from the sides; they also are not as thick as the TGs; texture is rough also, but just a tad under the TGs

h/w, when you put 4 of em on a HG, it can get kinda wide for the grip (at least for me)

so what i did: 1 put 2 MagPul XTs on the sides and 2 Ergo Ladder Rail covers on the top and bottom

they are all good rail covers
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:25:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/5/2006 3:27:17 PM EST by JTrusty]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:11:15 PM EST
Thanks AG thats the info i was looking for.

JTrusty, thanks i had forgot about the KAC panels. Care to explain why you like them over the TG's and Magpul's?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:20:08 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:26:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By JTrusty:

Care to explain why you like them over the TG's and Magpul's?

1. Beefy construction
2. Easy, snug, slide on installation
3. Locking mechanism engages rail to prevent accidental removal
4. Emulates the look of a standard M4 handguard
5. Superior aesthetics

Thanks JT
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:15:48 AM EST

1. Beefy construction
5. Superior aesthetics

Poser......

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:12:53 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:48:01 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:59:45 PM EST
I started out using the Surefire Ladder covers because they came with the forearm, then I switched to the YHM ones but I went with the small ones (3 covers per side) because if I wanted to mount something I could just take off how ever many I needed. Now I just ordered the TD's and waiting to try them out. I think I might just stick with my 3 per rail way.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:10:05 PM EST
i like KAC. a little more work getting them were ya want them, sliding on and off but they stay there too. i like KAC bottom, left, right, and ladders on top.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:18:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 11:19:55 PM EST by bobfried]

1. Beefy construction
5. Superior aesthetics

5A. Super thin when compared to the other (except ladder rails.)

I had some TD that came with my MRP, also had some XT from Magpull along with the KAC. Of the 3 the KAC was hands down the thinnest and most robust unit of all. If I had to trust one I'd take KAC over the other two any day of the week. For me it's either KAC or the ladder panels.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:28:30 PM EST
KAC costs too much for what they are, I vote Tango Down.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:41:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By gaspain:
KAC costs too much for what they are, I vote Tango Down.

wouldn'y you love to be the first to come out with the rail covers. I thought the insurance business was a scam but my god there must be a fortune in the rail cover business. How much can it cost to produce these things. Once you have the molds the material can't cost all that much. I bet they are making at least 90% profit from these things.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:10:48 AM EST
I generally pay $12 or less for the KAC's in the EE. Just make sure you get them from a good source so you know you are getting real ones rather than knockoff's...
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:34:23 PM EST
Is there any tactical value to the handguard covers or is this just for aesthetics? They look tacticool, but unless practical, couldn't justify the costs. I may wind up buying a set if convinced.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:19:54 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:23:20 PM EST
For an update: I ended up buying the Magpul's. Looked great, felt good but it wouldn't take much for them to get knocked or pulled off. Think i'll try the ladder's next.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:37:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By usp8riot:
Is there any tactical value to the handguard covers or is this just for aesthetics? They look tacticool, but unless practical, couldn't justify the costs. I may wind up buying a set if convinced.

1. Insulating the hand from a hot rail system.
2. Protecting the rail itself from even slightly deforming blows to thr 1913 segment of rail.
3. In Tangodown's rail panels' case; allowing the user to secure tapeswitches out of the way in a recessed pocket, discouraging ADs, and protecting them from contact blows to the switch.....

I vote TD btw...

/S2
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:43:31 PM EST
Dark Parts rail cover.

You can find them at Excalibur Arms.

Hot!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:37:39 AM EST
I run KAC panels on the L,R, and B. I have MagPul ladders on the T strips.
Why the KAC? I have large hands and I like the wider grip. Why the MagPul? Lets more heat out, lower profile, and I'm generally not holding onto the top.
Why panels in general? Exposed rails will get dinged up if you are not dealing with a hangar queen. If you never take your rifle out, then don't worry about them. Exposed rails will tear the everloving crap out of your hands. They will also snag on everything, tear upholstery in your vehicle, snag on zipper pulls or radio mic wires/cords, scratch wood, etc.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:10:18 PM EST
does anyone know whose rail covers will fit the top of an ARMS SIR system [#50c]? i have some ergogrips and they don't fit on the top at all.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:20:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By unclez:
For an update: I ended up buying the Magpul's. Looked great, felt good but it wouldn't take much for them to get knocked or pulled off. Think i'll try the ladder's next.

A couple of pieces of inner tube and mine aren't going anywhere.

Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:14:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/17/2006 9:14:43 PM EST by Aud_VDW]
Do the KAC's rattle? Ive read that the metal clip at the end lends itself to making noise.

Anyone used these-

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=251783

Are they any good, or are they crap-ola?

What does one 11 rib KAC panel weigh? Are they heavy compared to the tango down?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:56:22 AM EST
I've had some KAC panels for 6 years, and while some of the clips are a little loose compared to new ones, I really don't have a problem with them rattling. I don't even really recall hearing them rattling while using them on M4 and M5 RAS's.
As for weight, I don't know. Never weighed them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:36:57 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:08:35 PM EST
Top Top