Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 10/5/2007 3:40:11 AM EST
I'm building a pseudo-SPR rifle w/18" WOA midlength barrel. I want to ditch my front sight base and put on a gas block and folding front sight, but here's where things get strange. I thought about using a midlength varmint style free float tube, or perhaps a customizeable tube where you can add the rails where you want them. To do that I would need a railed gas block so I could install a flip up front sight. Then I got to thinking, why don't I use a low-profile gas block and install a rifle length rail system so I could mount my flip up to the top rail, and bipod to the bottom rail? Which would you do and why? Midlength rail/tube with railed gas block or low profile gas block w/rifle length rail? Keep in mind, I will be installing the new YHM Stainless Phantom supressor so I would need enough room up front to mount that. MJD
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 2:00:37 PM EST
While rail mounted front sights are technically not as precise since they are not attached to the barrel, I prefer them because they dont get hot, dont weigh much, and can be changed out. Keep in mind it is a BACK UP sight and not a primary sight. You wont be using it much so I would go with what will be the easiest to install, use, the least expensive, etc.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:56:39 AM EST
I went with a 12" rail on my midlength RECCE. I'm using a set of Troy flip ups for my BUIS. The longer rail works well for me. The gas system is completely covered (protected) and I have a longer sight radius.

Not that I run it hard enough to need a protected gas block or fall back to irons but that's how I justified the longer / more expensive rail.
Top Top