Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2008 7:19:38 AM EDT
I am wanting to get a rail system for my LE6920 but am not sure which one to buy. I was looking at the Knights Armament M4 RAS but also noticed they have one called M4 RIS whats the difference in these two? Is one better than the other? The other one I was looking at was the ARMS SIR. I know that it is bigger and adds more bulk but it is also proven itself reliable from what I have read on the forum and it has been around for a while. Also I think it makes the rifle look more scary which my neighbors would not appreciate. I am open to suggestions on any good system that will hold up to some hard use. Thanks in advance for any info.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't go wromg with a RAS.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:42:20 AM EDT
[#2]
selling my ARMS SIR was the best thing i ever did...

HEAVY, BULKY, HEAVY, PLASTIC

i replaced it with a Larue Tactical 7.0, and the rifle is much better balanced and lighter...

if you are looking for a non free float rail, i really like the KAC M4 RAS which can typically be found on the EE used in good condition with a panel set and VFG for around $200.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#3]
"There can only be one..."  LARUE of course.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#4]
The RIS is more or less the first edition of KAC's railed forends, designed to fit a variety of barrel diameters.  IIRC, the RAS is the updated model specific to the M4 with an upgraded fastening system.

As far as non free-floats go, the KAC RAS is great.  

For about $150, I really like Surefire's M73 carbine length forend as well (even though its 12 o'clock rail is a bit lower than the rifle's receiver rail).  It's a rock solid install.

I have no experience with the SIR system.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#5]
What about the Daniel Defense Omega rail? Easy to install without altering anything. I saw it at the Shot Show and it looked great. I would likely consider that for my next rail.

I currently have a KAC RASII which I like as a free float that didn't require taking the gun apart to install!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I would suggest the Daniel Defense Omega Rail. Light, skinny, solid, FF, easy to install and no modifications to the host weapon, continuous rail look, built in sling points. I honesly can't think of one downside to it? I don't even think it's expensive all things considered. IMO, It is the perfect 2-piece rail and better then most of the one piece rails too.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#7]
If your interested in the Non FF, don't forget to check out the Troy Industries MRF DI units as well.  For about 149.00 they are excellent and lock up as tight as a FF forend.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 for Larue and if you dont want to modify your weapon I would go for DD Omega.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 for the RAS...because KAC koolaid is better than Larue koolaid
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#10]
+2 for RAS.  KAC's the way to go.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Spend the extra money now and go with free floating rails because thats where you'll eventually end up.  I have a Troy MRF-MX and I think it's great.  I went with that rail because my dealer is a Troy distributor.  Otheriwse I would have gone with a Daniel Defense Lite Rail.  Larue is not for me as I prefer a continuos top rail with no break in it.  If that doesn't matter to you than Larue is top notch.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks alot for all the help. i see that some of you have recommended the dd omega cause it requires no mods to my weapon. what kinds of mods do the others requirehat
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:11:16 AM EDT
[#13]
nothing is a permanent mod on an AR. haha
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#14]
haha very true. but what mods would be required to fit som of the other rails on my rifle
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Have you considered a modular FF tube? I find them much more comfortable to shoot than a standard rail. Both PRI and JP make nice ones, and if you're not a slave to fashion the YHM-5005 is probably the best forearm out there for the money.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Can't go wrong with LaRue Tactical.  Troy isn't bad either.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
thanks alot for all the help. i see that some of you have recommended the dd omega cause it requires no mods to my weapon. what kinds of mods do the others require if it one or two mods that are not permanent i might consider the other options. so like i said what are the mods you speak of

1-piece FF's require the removal of your muzzle device, FSB & sometimes the barrel nut depending on what brand/model you go with. 2-piece FF's require that you cut off the delta ring & spring only provided that you stay with the length your barrel is designed with to keep the FSB if that's what you want to do. If it's not then you need to install a low-pro gas block & a front flip up buis. The Omega negates these "mods" all together & you have the price of the rail itself if you are not changing anything else. Sure, you can change back to your previous config if you don't want the installation of the FF to be permanent it's more hassle than I care for & I love the DD Omega rail on one of my SBR's. Plus, if you don't know what you're doing then you can be in for some frustration, damage your gun or end up paying more than you may be willing to spend to have a qualified smith do it for you.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I installed my 10" Troy in about 2 hours.  Had to cut the delta ring off and snip the spring using a dremel tool with a cutting wheel and a pair of pliers.  Then I cut the the front sight, bayonet lug and sling mount off using a dremel.  I also had to cut that thing behind the front sight off that holds the regular handguards in place.  That was a little trick because the gas tube goes through it.  After all of that I spend some time grinding and sanding the remainder of the front sight, bayonet lug and sling swivel down to the shape of a low profile gas block.  Then I sprayed the bare metal with high heat black paint and installed the rails over it.  Came out perfect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top