Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2017 10:08:23 AM EDT
Okay, bottom line, is Radical Firearms that bad.  I'm finding it hard to pass up some of the 4th of July sales going on right now for my next pistol build.  I mean, I'm not going to compete with the thing, and it's not going to Afghanistan with me.  It'll most likely be a plinker/truck gun.

So what say the hive?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't have an answer for you yet but I couldn't pass up the deals either. 300 blk 10.5". Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but really, for a complete upper, what do you have to lose? Got mine from Primary Arms.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:13:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I know a couple of people who bought them.

They shoot them and enjoy them without trama or drama...

I'm sure the Hive here will tell you they are not "Tier 1", but for my two buddies, they seem to go "Bang" each time...
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I got their 16" 7.62x39 FGS upper, I'm using an AIM bcg, but it has been flawless. I'm getting ready to get another upper and I'm not sure if I will buy radical or bear creek.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Be sure and use a barrel clamp (rather than a clamshell, reaction rod, or BEV block) if you're changing out the muzzle device and you should be fine.  

The only real complaint I've heard about them is that they melonite the barrel and the extension together after the extension has been installed and it changes the torque value on the barrel extension.  
There have been several people who have spun their barrel out of the extension while trying to install a different muzzle brake or flash hider.  Other than that, reviews seem mainly positive.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#5]
My RF 7.62x39 10" upper w/AIM bcg runs fine, had it for about 2 years & just under 1k rounds.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I also have a radical 5.56/.223 upper with an AIM nickel boron bcg and it's been flawless for me as well. Just make sure everything is tight on it before you start shooting and you should be all set.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Their customer service is about the worst in the industry if you have a problem.  If you can deal with that buy a way. PA may not be able help you as they are not the manufacturer.  I would avoid their 12.7x50 and 458 Socom stuff as none of it is made using the proper reamers and their are lots of issues

In my experience their 300blk and 5.56mm have been good to go.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one of their builds in a 300 Blackout, and another couple of their uppers.  I have never had a single hitch with any of them.  I did run into one problem, I ordered one of their carbine springs, and it was so stiff that it would not allow the 7.62 x 39 to function.  Don't know what the problem was there unless it was a 308 carbine spring (not even sure about that).  But all in all everything that I have ordered from them and my friends have ordered has been GTG!  Come to think of it, I hadn't figured what the problem with the spring was at the time so I contacted RF and they were willing to take the upper back and refund and replace, then I discovered it was the buffer spring causing all of the problems.  They sent me a whole buffer tube, spring, and buffer for my troubles.  Not too shabby a customer service.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be sure and use a barrel clamp (rather than a clamshell, reaction rod, or BEV block) if you're changing out the muzzle device and you should be fine.  
View Quote
I think this would be good advice when working on any brand of AR.

I had no problems with a 7.5" RF pistol.
(The lower is actually made by Aero Precision on mine.)
I actually sold the upper and bought a Radical 10.5" upper.
I've put 995 rounds through it without a hitch.

As far as customer service, I went to remove the screws from the forearm and messed them up. I used an Allen wrench then discovered they were Torx.
Called Radical and about a week later a bag showed up with new screws in it.
It's a little thing, but it made me happy.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been running this upper for over a year and a half:
Piss off an antigunner

I do many of my silencer tests with that as a pistol or on an SBR lower with no problems after the initial one in the article.

Their silencers aren't that bad, either, beyond being a bit heavy.

Radical Silencers

I haven't played with the 458 stuff yet, but am planning on it later this year.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Once I get a bad taste for a certain name, I tend to keep that feeling. Radical is not on my list of things to buy.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Didn't their manager go full retard on a customer a while back?

I've been in their shop before all the shinanigans started and I liked they were local and made their own stuff. After that story came out, they left a bad taste in my mouth.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#13]
My son ran one of their uppers in a carbine class...or at leas, tried to.
Very overgassed. I installed a Seekins adjustable low profile gas block and that seems to have cured the problem.

It's just a range toy now...
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Had one of their $200 7.62x39 pistol uppers.  Fit & finish was on par with PSA and it functioned fine.  Swapped out the muzzle device and didn't experience any problems with the barrel.  I don't understand all the hate they get, but 1 isn't exactly a large sample size, so maybe I got lucky.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#15]
They may have improved, but me and my buddies  experience with 3 of their .300blk uppers left me with grave doubts about them. I won't say that I will never buy another one but they will be my last choice.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Had one of their $200 7.62x39 pistol uppers.  Fit & finish was on par with PSA and it functioned fine.  Swapped out the muzzle device and didn't experience any problems with the barrel.  I don't understand all the hate they get, but 1 isn't exactly a large sample size, so maybe I got lucky.
View Quote
They get a lot of hate because they've had a shit ton of problems.  And it's not like they only have one consistent issue.  Their issues are all over the map.  Improper reamers with certain calibers, barrels unscrewing from extensions, bolts shearing lugs after double digit round counts, and the list goes on and on.  Not only that, but they have absolute shit customer service if everything that's been reported is correct.

Not saying you'll most likely have a problem if you get something from them, just don't be surprised if it does happen and definitely don't be surprised if they're less than helpful when you try to get it fixed.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:07:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a 7.5 Radical Arms complete 5.56 pistol upper 2 years ago. It was on sale CHEAP. Attached it to a PSA pistol lower, SIG arm brace, & cheap Bushnell red dot = life is good.

Getting the A2 muzzle brake off was a bitch ( installed a Spike's Barking Spider - awesome flash can!) but no real issues.

A thousand + trouble free rounds (brass & steel).  One of my favorite range toys.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:17:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Can we talk about how terrible the name is?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I have 2 matching 5.56 carbines I built for my boys and they seem ok for now. Low round counts (under 100 each) and PSA premium bolts
Attachment Attached File

My 10.5 300 has given me some popped primers on my last range session and I need to check it over.
It has run subs and supers suppressed and not all without fail though.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have 2 matching 5.56 carbines I built for my boys and they seem ok for now. Low round counts (under 100 each) and PSA premium bolts
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/195843/IMG-6983-251913.JPG

My 10.5 300 has given me some popped primers on my last range session and I need to check it over.
It has run subs and supers suppressed and not all without fail though.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/195843/IMG-5638-251919.JPG
View Quote
Good looking rifles.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I have one I bought from PA and love it. I have about 1K rounds through it. When I first got it, I had problems with it running right. The BCG was dragging on the bolt release. I replaced the bolt release and it's run like a top. I only use it for training in my backyard range and never taken a class with it. I'd recommend them to anyone and buy another as a range toy.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Howdy Everyone!

I just wanted to address a couple of things:

We have fixed the issues with extensions (a while back), as well as issues with BCGs.... That being said we are in no way trying to pass the blame, we take full responsibility for supplied parts such as the BCG and have changed vendors to help alleviate any issues.

We are a family owned and operated company (with a veteran preferred hiring process) so we definitely want everyone to enjoy using our products without any worries. If ever an issue does arise with one of our uppers, rifles or AR pistols then please be aware that we do offer a lifetime warranty on our parts. We also back our men and women in blue as well as current military and offer discounts and an exclusive line of rifles to reflect that. If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact us directly: [email protected] or if you have any issues please contact: [email protected].  

Sincerely,

Radical Firearms LLC
"American Made, Texas Proud!"
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 12:01:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Howdy Everyone!

We have fixed the issues with extensions (a while back), as well as issues with BCGs.... That being said we are in no way trying to pass the blame, we take full responsibility for supplied parts such as the BCG and have changed vendors to help alleviate any issues.

We are a family owned and operated company (with a veteran preferred hiring process) so we definitely want everyone to enjoy using our products without any worries. If ever an issue does arise with one of our uppers, rifles or AR pistols then please be aware that we do offer a lifetime warranty on our parts. We also back our men and women in blue as well as current military and offer discounts and an exclusive line of rifles to reflect that. If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact us directly: [email protected] or if you have any issues please contact: [email protected].  

Sincerely,

Radical Firearms LLC
View Quote
Does your "lifetime warranty" still not apply to second hand owners of your products?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Does your "lifetime warranty" still not apply to second hand owners of your products?
View Quote
If you can provide an original proof of purchase we can definitely take a look at anything we need to address

Radical Firearms
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you can provide an original proof of purchase we can definitely take a look at anything we need to address

Radical Firearms
View Quote
Seeing a lot of forgeries?? 

Lol anyway. I bought a 300blk upper to go with my $20 80% lower, eBay RDS and shockwave blade. I had a complete pistol for under $400 which at the time was unheard of. 

Then pistol has no issues. Barrel extension is tight and radical bolt hasn't lost lugs. Have had FTf due to not cleaning and excessive build up of the ramps. More likely a result of the magtech ammo but this happened surprisingly quick after only around 100rnds. After keeping them clean I haven't had other issues. Approaching 1k rnds. 

I found customer service be friendly. Just my experience. 
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:00:54 AM EDT
[#26]
A lifetime warranty with receipt should be a policy you should put in for a policy review, as one fatality or disfigurement from a part letting loose could shutdown a family owned business especially if it were documented that you refused to warranty it.  Basically you should should fix your products with or without a paper trail as many other manufactures do these days.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A lifetime warranty with receipt should be a policy you should put in for a policy review, as one fatality or disfigurement from a part letting loose could shutdown a family owned business especially if it were documented that you refused to warranty it.  Basically you should should fix your products with or without a paper trail as many other manufactures do these days.
View Quote
They know their products are defective so they are trying to get out of warrantying as much as possible.  Once people find out how bad RF is they sell their items before they break and I don't know about most people but I typically don't keep receipts for most of the gun items I purchase and even if I did I don't think I would give that much personal information to a random person buying my parts.

At least that is the only reason I can think of why they have such an obnoxious policy.  No other manufacturer I know of requires such nonsense.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Didn't their manager go full retard on a customer a while back?
View Quote
https://primaryandsecondary.com/candid-and-unbiased/
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#29]
One thing I have wondered about since getting into the AR game is how do companies know what parts are theirs and whether somebody has monkeyed with things causing problems.  Obviously certain companies have certain parts that have identifying marks on them but many "mil spec" parts do not.  Upper receivers, buffer assemblies, BCGS, possibly barrels, LPKs etc.  I have no affiliation with RF and don't own any of their products yet but have my share of ARs and many of the parts look the same.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#30]
There was also a retraction: primaryandsecondary.com/radical-firearmsprimary-secondary/

Radical Firearms
"American Manufacturing, Texas Proud!"
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
One thing I have wondered about since getting into the AR game is how do companies know what parts are theirs and whether somebody has monkeyed with things causing problems.  Obviously certain companies have certain parts that have identifying marks on them but many "mil spec" parts do not.  Upper receivers, buffer assemblies, BCGS, possibly barrels, LPKs etc.  I have no affiliation with RF and don't own any of their products yet but have my share of ARs and many of the parts look the same.
View Quote
That is a very fair question! especially since all parts are MIL-STD. Bigger parts are discernible due to special markings we incorporate into the piece, ie: uppers have markings hidden somewhere, lowers are noticeable because they are stamped with our info, barrels are marked with our font in a specific place etc. We do not manufacture pins, springs, bcgs, rubber parts or plastic parts...

Radical Firearms
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That is a very fair question! especially since all parts are MIL-STD. Bigger parts are discernible due to special markings we incorporate into the piece, ie: uppers have markings hidden somewhere, lowers are noticeable because they are stamped with our info, barrels are marked with our font in a specific place etc. We do not manufacture pins, springs, bcgs, rubber parts or plastic parts...

Radical Firearms
View Quote
Not only did you completely skip over my reply, but you just stated that you are able to identify your own components yet you still refuse to warranty them without an original invoice. What gives?
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There was also a retraction: primaryandsecondary.com/radical-firearmsprimary-secondary/

Radical Firearms
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Radical Firearms
So?  That doesn't change the fact that y'all screwed up the response from the beginning.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not only did you completely skip over my reply, but you just stated that you are able to identify your own components yet you still refuse to warranty them without an original invoice. What gives?
View Quote
To be fair, most of the big boys do not offer transferable warranties, either.  Looking in my safe, I have two brands that do:  Daniel Defense and STI.  

Negative on the others, including HK, Sig, Beretta, Colt, Benelli, Remington, S&W, Glock, Ruger, and on and on.  Of course, some will fix issues anyways, but it is completely in their discretion.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Howdy Everyone!

Sincerely,

Radical Firearms LLC
View Quote
Thanks for chiming in to my thread.  Based off my research, and your comments, I have no problem purchasing an RA upper or component.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#36]
I have had exactly zero issues with my Radical. 458 upper. I had to do some mag modification to get the Lehigh Defense control fracture bullets to feed, but only because they are such a flat projectile. Once my stamp came back, i put a couple hundred rounds down range immediately. I will be ordering again from Radical soon!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have had exactly zero issues with my Radical. 458 upper. I had to do some mag modification to get the Lehigh Defense control fracture bullets to feed, but only because they are such a flat projectile. Once my stamp came back, i put a couple hundred rounds down range immediately. I will be ordering again from Radical soon!
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72250/20170410-161944-268842.JPG
View Quote
Priced right for sure but I don't believe that they use the proper saami reamer for the chamber which would be a no go for me as I have little faith in the reversed engineered PTG reamer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm definitely no engineer....but if it fires every single time, and i am just a hair over moa at 100 yards.....it does exactly what i need it to do.

ETA.....i don't believe that your use proper engrish was proper
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Son bought one and is happy with it, no problems.  I'm looking at buying one of their 12.7 x 42.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I wouldn't risk it. They simply have too large a history of failures to justify saving the couple bucks over a reputable name. It looks that they're in some sort of a save the name brand mode right now, which means things may be looking up for them, but theres no way i'd risk it without a few years of positive evidence that they've come past their past failures.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:33:47 AM EDT
[#41]
I've looked at RF uppers in 12.7 & .458.

Most frequent complaints seem to be the extractor in the 12.7 which can be fixed with an AA extractor or bolt. But I don't think the RF 12.7 can be bought as just an assembled upper like their other uppers.

The 'not in spec' .458 chamber is an issue with a lot of other makers besides RF. The guys who are reloading their own seem to be able to accommodate but some factory ammo isn't 100%.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#42]
I built my first AR pistol with a Spikes lower and a 10.5" Radical upper, using a Palmetto nickle boron bcg.  I sprayed the upper and lower down with a water and ballistol mix and now the upper and lower are a perfect color match.  My round count is only a few hundred of M193, with a 1.5" at 50yds with a red dot.  I will be trying a low power scope to tighten up the grouping.
Overall, I think the Radical upper I purchased from PA was money well spent and I will buying more radical products.  Oh yea, I am a old veteran and I like Radical's policies.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:12:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Have 2 RF uppers. A 16" .300blk and a 10.5" .223/5.56. The .300blk had to resort to using the assist to close the bolt for a loaded mag then runs fine. My Bushmaster was the same way. The 10.5" upper had different issues. 1st mag through it was fine. 2nd mag it wouldn't cycle. Had to use the charging handle to cycle it. Found out at home that the gas block loosened up. Pulled the guard, put threadlocker on the set screws and put it back in place. Been absolutely great since.

One thing I wish Radical would do is QUIT USING THOSE STUPID TORX SCREWS ON THE HANDGUARDS. Hex key ones are better and don't STRIP like the torx ones. Wish I would had replaced the 10.5" screws with hex key ones when I had it off to fix the gas block.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Have 2 RF uppers. A 16" .300blk and a 10.5" .223/5.56. The .300blk had to resort to using the assist to close the bolt for a loaded mag then runs fine. My Bushmaster was the same way. The 10.5" upper had different issues. 1st mag through it was fine. 2nd mag it wouldn't cycle. Had to use the charging handle to cycle it. Found out at home that the gas block loosened up. Pulled the guard, put threadlocker on the set screws and put it back in place. Been absolutely great since.

One thing I wish Radical would do is QUIT USING THOSE STUPID TORX SCREWS ON THE HANDGUARDS. Hex key ones are better and don't STRIP like the torx ones. Wish I would had replaced the 10.5" screws with hex key ones when I had it off to fix the gas block.
View Quote
Hex screws strip a lot easier than torx. You need to be using the right size regardless though.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Hex screws strip a lot easier than torx. You need to be using the right size regardless though.
View Quote
Was using the correct size. The screws literally stripped out. Never had problems removing hex screws. Hell we had numberous issues with brand new torx bolts stripping out in vehicles (seat belt mounts for GM trucks T55).
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top