Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 3:31:41 PM EDT
 I've been verrrry curious as to the release of these things. For those that have'nt heard about the RROC(Reduced Recoil Operation Control System) made by Advanced Device Design, it is said to be superior to the current  
M16/AR/M4 "Dirty" Ljungman type gas system.  It's a drop in upper that is  gas piston(M14 type) operated with a SKS type op rod.A heatsink is built in on the barrel for heat dissipation.

It has many dampening and cushioning features that slow cyclic rate and cusion recoil as well.
(don't remember the details)

It recieved high praise in the JAN 2003 issue of
Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement. The reviewers dumped 16 mags on full auto bursts without one hiccup.

Does anybody had any personal experience with the RROC or own one?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#1]
According to the gentleman that answered my email back in early May named Bob Davies, all existing units "are being evaluated by the military and prospective manufacturers".

So it seems they won't be producing them directly. Hope someone picks it up, i'd like to try one out.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a heavier system @ +1 lb. more than AR upper. The hydraulic buffer & urethane cushion gas key also leave me w/ doubts, but I can't argue w/ test results.

I still think that the Shrike has the best potential as a replacement AR upper because of its quick-change bbl. & rifle/SAW flexibility. I'd like to see both systems tested head-to-head.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Yet another answer to a question that nobody asked.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's a heavier system @ +1 lb. more than AR upper. The hydraulic buffer & urethane cushion gas key also leave me w/ doubts, but I can't argue w/ test results.
View Quote

Those are some of the things that stirred my curiousity.

Some interesting features:
*Reinforced Drive key(replaces gas key) that  is urethane padded to slow extraction and smoothes cycling.

*reciprocating weight in bolt carrier that further smoothes cycling.

* Hydraulic buffer with a reciprocating counter weight and a O ring cushion to even further tame recoil.

*Barrel heatsink.

*M14 type gas piston.

*SKS type op rod.

*Adjustable gas system for different loads.

Test fired @ 7000 rounds with no hiccup.

*virtually clean upper interior, bolt/carrier
with no fouling after repeated automatic fire.

[quote'
I still think that the Shrike has the best potential as a replacement AR upper because of its quick-change bbl. & rifle/SAW flexibility. I'd like to see both systems tested head-to-head.
View Quote

I love the Shrike, but it's a SAW/LMG concept.
The RROC is a Carbine.

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]
From what I have read, Geoff Herring (Shrike designer) wanted to provide a squad w/ a SAW gunner w/o losing a rifleman, effectively combining both functions into 1 weapon. The Shrike is compact, light, & modular so that it can do both. The question remains as to how well it may perform in both roles.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top