Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2003 2:32:26 AM EDT
This is shown on the updated RRA web site. Has anyone tried one??
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 2:55:43 AM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/extplat.gif[/img]

Neat item, nope never used one, but I bet someone will soon.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:37:13 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a pretty neat idea: a poor man's SIRS.  Gives you the flexibility to mount optics anywhere you want.  Too bad it has to use the rail on the gas block, thus no free floating action.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Saw one on a 9mm upper on ebay last night.  I didn't know it was a Rock River.  The upper looked cool but didnt come with all accessories needed such as blot magblock or hammer.  Too bad or my bid would have been in.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one on my mid-length 9mm, and really like it.  Both front and rear sight in one package (can't lose it...too big) along with the full length rail between them.  Very strongly built, the "bridge" clears any handguard that I have tried/measured, and and the sights use standard components and front tool.
Sluggo
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Too bad it has to use the rail on the gas block, thus no free floating action.  
Ghost
View Quote

But if you're using standard handguards, it acts as a reinforcement to the barrel.  Free floating a non-scoped or dot-sighted rifle/carbine is just like whipped cream on a hot dog anyway.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 4:16:18 AM EDT
[#6]
This would work on my Bushy flattop with the 3 rail gas block, right?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 4:22:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Provided that it's dimensions aren't designed to be used with a specific manufacturers gas block. If the heigth of railed gas blocks is standard, then it should. To be safe, I would call RRA and double check.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:17:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmm........looks like it would mount most optics way too high for a good cheeck weld, making it a chin weld,  forget any kind of co-witnessing, as seen with the problems RRA tactical handle has.  Looks real heavy too!

Link Posted: 10/17/2003 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
forget any kind of co-witnessing, as seen with the problems RRA tactical handle has.
View Quote

Living in NJ must preclude you from actually seeing a co-witnessed Aimpoint Comp-M mounted on their tactical handle. I would post a pic of mine if I only knew how.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 6:14:23 AM EDT
[#10]
IIRC, this is an Aimpoint with the "X" mount, on a RRA Tactical handle and [b]it does co-witness[/b]

[img]http://www.sableco.net/store/images/AimpointKillflash.jpg[/img]

Mike
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 6:25:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hmm........looks like it would mount most optics way too high for a good cheeck weld, making it a chin weld,  forget any kind of co-witnessing, as seen with the problems RRA tactical handle has.

View Quote

Exactly what I was thinking!  The [b]only[/b] optic I have seen that works on that rail is the Aimpoint in the super-low factory ring (as in mr_wilson's pic).  Granted, the long adapter shown is a step up because it lets you put the aimpoint farther out, where a reflex sight should be, but I still don't think there are any other sights designed to work with a rail that high.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmm........looks like it would mount most optics way too high for a good cheeck weld, making it a chin weld,  forget any kind of co-witnessing, as seen with the problems RRA tactical handle has.

View Quote

Exactly what I was thinking!  The [b]only[/b] optic I have seen that works on that rail is the Aimpoint in the super-low factory ring (as in mr_wilson's pic).  Granted, the long adapter shown is a step up because it lets you put the aimpoint farther out, where a reflex sight should be, but I still don't think there are any other sights designed to work with a rail that high.
View Quote

Thank you, fizassist.

As I said "it would mount most optics" not "all optics"  way too high.  So as for the potential of the RRA Rail and Tac Handle, their potential is very limited.  Only one optical/mount configuration will work correctly to co-witness these platforms.  That IMHO, makes the component an unnecessary expense, adds weight to the rifle and denies the robust features AR15 platform.

I feel the money ($275.00 on RRA website) would be better spent on a flip-up BUIS system or even a semi fixed rear sight such as the DPMS or LMT (ie. chopped carry handle styles)
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
forget any kind of co-witnessing, as seen with the problems RRA tactical handle has.
View Quote

Living in NJ must preclude you from actually seeing a co-witnessed Aimpoint Comp-M mounted on their tactical handle. I would post a pic of mine if I only knew how.
View Quote

Living in New Jersey does not preclude my from this.

But please go ahead and try to mount any other optic/mount on that rail, have a good cheeck weld and still co-witness.  Cause it's not going to happen.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I feel the money ($275.00 on RRA website) would be better spent on a flip-up BUIS system or even a semi fixed rear sight such as the DPMS or LMT (ie. chopped carry handle styles)
View Quote

Or an ARMS #38 EX-MOD (which includes a BUIS) for a $225.  Looking at the RRA catalog, there are several mounts which use this awful rail height:

[img]http://rockriverarms.com/images/scout.gif[/img]
[img]http://rockriverarms.com/images/extplat.gif[/img]
[img]http://rockriverarms.com/images/mnts3.gif[/img]
[img]http://rockriverarms.com/images/chndls.gif[/img]

That seems crazy for a rail height specifically tailored to 1 optic.  So many other optics and mounts are geared for the 1/2" ARMS riser height, including most aimpoint mounts.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top