Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/21/2004 11:40:40 PM EDT
How are they? My main concern regards something I read, that slightly "oversized" pins are used. Wouldn't this cause wear to the receiver? Why wouldn't it? Are they like this to keep the pins from rotating? Anyone ever remove one and put the stock set up back in? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:52:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Very good.  Clean, glass rod break typical, about 4#.  Yes, oversized.  No.  They don't move.  Yes.   Yes, I switched to a JP single-stage with no problems.

-z
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:06:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Good questions ... good answers.

Thanks for bringing this up.

MT
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:50:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Very good.  Clean, glass rod break typical, about 4#.  Yes, oversized.  No.  They don't move.  Yes.   Yes, I switched to a JP single-stage with no problems.
-z

Glass rod comparison is a bit over the top in my humble opinion. At least the RRA 2-stage I had wasn't like that, it had creep, although very slight. Not saying it's a bad trigger, I liked it very much actually. For the price I don't think it can be bet. I have a KAC 2-stage now. It's much closer to the glass rod feel, but still not quite there.

I should add that I'm totally spoiled by the Sako TRG trigger, it's hands down the best trigger I've seen.  So take this for what it's worth, the RRA is a great trigger but not THAT great.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:49:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I put a RRA 2 stage on one of my rifles last year. Yes the pins were oversized so I used the original pins, didn't want to enlarge the pin holes on my receiver. This trigger functions like a light pull single stage trigger in my opinion. I don't seem to have a stage one on this thing. If there is one I can't tell where it ends and stage 2 begins. Not much better than the stock trigger in my opinion except it is a noticably lighter pull. It's on my bench gun so I'm in no hurry to change it out again. I'd never put one of these things on a defensive rifle, too light of a pull.

Shabo
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:31:18 AM EDT
[#6]
My RRA came with the two-stage trigger installed. At first it seemed pretty heavy but after a 100 rounds or so it broke in and is very nice now (3.5lbs or so). I can't detect any creep in the tigger either.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:01:10 AM EDT
[#7]
a little hint here on the RR trigger: If you polish the parkerizing off of the center of the pins and lubricate before assembly, the trigger will be perfect. Just chuck the pins into a drill press and polish the centers....
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:21:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Personally, I really like the fact that the pins are oversized... it keeps the pins from rotating or moving at all.  Does this "wear" the receiver?  I doubt it does much.... since we are talking about an interference fit... so possibly there is a few thousandths interference.  That being said.... with standard pins and lots of use, your recever holes get some wear anyway... from standard pins rotating in the in the receiver hole.

I think the RRA 2-stage, for the $80-$100, is the best trigger improvement you can make for the money.  It is also one of the few I would feel comfortable with for a defensive rifle... as there are no set screws to loosen... and a sub 1lb takeup with a 4-4.5 lbs break (measured with scale) is great to me!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:48:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I have an RRA 2-stage that was polished by White Oak and it has two very distinct stages.  The first is a short and smooth pull to "stop" point and then slightly more pressure breaks the trigger.  

Very nice.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:03:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I put a RRA 2 stage on one of my rifles last year. Yes the pins were oversized so I used the original pins, didn't want to enlarge the pin holes on my receiver. This trigger functions like a light pull single stage trigger in my opinion. I don't seem to have a stage one on this thing. If there is one I can't tell where it ends and stage 2 begins. Not much better than the stock trigger in my opinion except it is a noticably lighter pull. It's on my bench gun so I'm in no hurry to change it out again. I'd never put one of these things on a defensive rifle, too light of a pull.

Shabo

Use the over-sized pins, you don't need to enlarge the receiver holes. The over-sized pins are 0.154" in diameter while the standard pins are 0.153". The 0.001" difference means that you'll have to use more force to get them in, use a rubber mallet to tap them in if necessary. After that you don't have to worry about them and don't need any anti-walk pins either.

Not sure why you don't have a first stage. Try it with the over-sized pins and see if it helps.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:41:20 AM EDT
[#11]
The pins are oversized for a reason.  The trigger pivots on the pin instead of the pin rolling in the receiver.  More consistant pull and less wear.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I have one in my RRA AR.

After my first 1000 rounds it turned into a 1 stage trigger.

Sent it to RRA (bought locally) and they fixed it and tuned it to my specs wich was just over 3#.

They said the problem was a primer that was stuck in the mechanism... oops!

Less than a week turnaround, good folks!

I wouldn't say glass rod crisp but damn close.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:19:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I must have lucked out and gotten a good one.  The other couple I've tried have been good too.  I guess YMMV.

-z
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top