Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 3:55:02 PM EDT
I was reading another thread about a guy choosing between RRA and Spikes and everyone said Spikes, but I have a slightly different question.

I want a basic Mid-length AR with green furniture, CL bbl and BCG.  I can get a new RRA Middy A4 with green grip, green adjustable stock, green handguard, chrome bbl, chrome bolt and BCG and single stage trigger for $755.  Keep in mind this is everything I want at pretty good price.

OR

Should I pony up and buy a Spikes Middy in all black, with regular phosphate bolt and BCG for $810 and spend the extra money to get the green furniture, which would be around $75.  Keep in mind, I wouldn't get the chrome bolt and BCG like I wanted.

Which do you think for a KISS HD/SHTF gun?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Both are good company to by from.  Since your prime requirement is for green furniture. Get RRA and use the extra money for other goodies for the rifle.

However, you can buy the Spike and get a can of Krylon and paint it green.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#2]
If the RRA is exactly what you want, I would go with that.  Spikes may be a little higher quality, but what are the chances you will ever notice a difference?  Probably not much, except MAYBE if/when the S H'es the F.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#3]
It was my thread you mentioned.

After shooting the Spikes this past weekend, I was sold.

I was going to get the RRA  as it was local, but I figured what the hell the Spikes only 50 - 100 bucks more. My solution, take a lunch to work for a week.

Hopefully ordering by end of week.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems like an easy decision to me. The Spike's is a better rifle and costs less.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Seems like an easy decision to me. The Spike's is a better rifle and costs less.

I agree with this mssg. Higher quality and costs less? No brainer
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The spikes ( middy ) shipped with arfcom discount is right at 8 bills.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I have more than one of both brands.  It's a personal preference, but I would opt for the RRA.  But, that's just me.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I would go with Spikes,(I own several) very good in my opinion. But RRA is not bad. For the price I think the Spikes is a way better value IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Spike's.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have already picked out specific options from RRA and you can get what you want for $755 (and that IS a damn good price)… go for it.

They make a good rifle and it’s what you want.

I would personally, go with Spikes with Magpul MOE furniture in OD green if that was the color of choice, but that’s just me.

Hell, if you wind up changing your mind you could surely sell the RRA and at least break even at a purchase price of $755… maybe even wind up making a buck or two.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#11]
The question is can you justify the extra $100 (and your time selling to black parts) for the Spike's?

There's nothing "wrong" with the RRA.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Spike's, hands down.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quick Answer: Spike's
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:45:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Spikes will do an upgrade price for you. $75 for chrome and $125 for NB. Hope this helps
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:52:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was reading another thread about a guy choosing between RRA and Spikes and everyone said Spikes, but I have a slightly different question.

I want a basic Mid-length AR with green furniture, CL bbl and BCG.  I can get a new RRA Middy A4 with green grip, green adjustable stock, green handguard, chrome bbl, chrome bolt and BCG and single stage trigger for $755.  Keep in mind this is everything I want at pretty good price.

OR

Should I pony up and buy a Spikes Middy in all black, with regular phosphate bolt and BCG for $810 and spend the extra money to get the green furniture, which would be around $75.  Keep in mind, I wouldn't get the chrome bolt and BCG like I wanted.

Which do you think for a KISS HD/SHTF gun?

SHTF

Buy a LMT or Colt M4

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:33:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Just remember to use the discount code of ARFCOM to get 5% off the total.
To bad you didn't order over Labor day as they were running a 10% off code.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:58:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Spikes was running a coupon for Middy's. 'Middleup' I think it was. Good for $50 off. Not sure if it's still going though.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:04:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Spikes will do an upgrade price for you. $75 for chrome and $125 for NB. Hope this helps

What's NB?

How would I go about getting this upgrade?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's NB?

How would I go about getting this upgrade?

Nickel Boron…
Just call and ask for Garret… tell him to hook you up with the ARFCOM discount.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#20]

I believe it's Nickel Boron, it's a surface treatment that makes the metal slippery.

If the RRA has everything you want then I'd get that and take the money you save and buy ammo.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Get what your budget can buy, If the RRA has what you want then get it.. Do what you feel is good for  you not what others fell is right.  I have owned both brands and either will do great for you. The one plus on the Spikes IMO is the Customer service , not that I ever had an issue with RRA's  CS but spikes is awesome.  Buy what you want not what some list says a rifle is.. You can always sell it if yoru not happy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:24:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you have already picked out specific options from RRA and you can get what you want for $755 (and that IS a damn good price)… go for it.

They make a good rifle and it’s what you want.

I would personally, go with Spikes with Magpul MOE furniture in OD green if that was the color of choice, but that’s just me.

Hell, if you wind up changing your mind you could surely sell the RRA and at least break even at a purchase price of $755… maybe even wind up making a buck or two.

this
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top