Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2004 4:37:47 PM EDT
Which is the most acurate and reliable. This will be a varmint rifle mainly but reliablility is always more important to me than acuracy. Whats the best way to go or is it a toss up. All info apreciated.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#1]
i say rra
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#2]
love my RRA
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#3]
If I had to choose between the two i'd be RRA.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 20" RRA Varmit upper that seemed to be very accurate and functioned flawlessly. It is bit too heavy for my use and I plan to sell it in favor of an A2 style 20".
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a DPMS and it hasn't failed yet.  RRA is excellent.  DPMS varminter rifles are extremely accurate.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#7]
another vote for DPMS...
RRA is good too though
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Either is a good choice.  I have both and both have functioned perfectly, have outstanding finishes, and are very accurate.  Must be the platform
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#9]
RRA
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I posted this a couple of days ago about my first trip to the range with my RRA upper.

Just wanted to drop a quick not about my first trip to the range with a new upper. 20" RRA Varminter. I droppped a cheapo 6-24X50 scope on it and took it to the range. I picked up the upper from Pete at Legal Transfers from EE. Got here quick and easy. Thanks Pete.

Ran 50 rds thru to break in the stainless barrel (clean after every shot for 5, then every 3 for 15, then every 5 for 20, then every 10 for 50. Well, heck, I guess that was 100 . Anyhow, I was tired of cleaning. that is the most break in I have EVER done.

Then went to 100yd range. Had some Wolf to start with. First shot to sight in, 1" left at 100yds. 5 shot group went into 1.5", centered about 1.5" left. 2 more groups did the same thing. VERY pleased with this.

Then got out the XM193. Nice 1" groups at about 1" left and 1" low. Shot 3 of these consistently.

Then got out the Black Hills 68 gr match blue box. I didn't think these would do as well due to the weight. DANG, they shot sub 1". The biggest problem with evaluation of this was me. I am not good enough to do much less than an inch.

Overall impression, I am VERY pleased. This thing flat out shoots. I have heard the arguments that the bolt guns will out shoot the auto's. I don't believe it, but it wouldn't matter, as I can't outshoot this gun, much less one that is supposedly MORE accurate. I think I was most pleased with 1.5" with the Wolf. There weren't any safe dirt clods on the berm at the range. Even shot off a few flowers.

Now, do I really NEED an SPR . Need is irrelevant.

Anyway, FWIW.

Doc

I am really pleased with this one, but have no knowledge about the DPMS
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Doc,

What is the barrel twist in your RRA upper? Just curious as to which twist the 68 gr. match ammo was shot from.

ACMAN,

I am also looking at purchasing a good accurate varmint AR. Been lookin at BM, DPMS, and Oly weapons primarily. Basically, leaning toward the Oly PCR 8 right now because of the accuracy reputation of Oly AR's although reliability is just as important to me. Someone told me at one of BM wholesalers that they are getting 1/4" groups out of their Oly PCR16 carbine - outstanding! Never owned a Oly before, however, and have been a little relunctant to change from Colt and BM (all I have ever owned, pre-ban only), but figure I would give them a try.

Kevin
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I really apreciate all the info. I think I'm leaning towards the RRA everything sounds good and I like the weaver gas block so i could use iron sights in a pinch.  
Thanks
Robert
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I get sub-MOA with my RRA A2 HBAR and XM193.
Don't see how you could go wrong wit a more accurate version.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:40:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm another AR-aholic and have both RRA and DPMS.  Both varminters are gonna shoot nice, tight little groups with good ammo.  Both are well known companies who stand by their products, so if you have problems, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting support.  I would say, for the bragging rights, RRA is the way to go.  DPMS is usually cheaper, and often thought of as the KMart brand vs RRA being more akin to Sears.  (I guess Colt would be Neiman Marcus?)

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Kevin,

Standard RRA 1:8 twist.  That was kind of my thinking also.  I didn't think the 68's would shoot that well, but dang if they didn't.  I want to get some of the 45gr hp's from Academy and see what they will do also.

Doc
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#16]
RRA ALL THE WAY!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm another AR-aholic and have both RRA and DPMS.  Both varminters are gonna shoot nice, tight little groups with good ammo.  Both are well known companies who stand by their products, so if you have problems, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting support.  I would say, for the bragging rights, RRA is the way to go.  DPMS is usually cheaper, and often thought of as the KMart brand vs RRA being more akin to Sears.  (I guess Colt would be Neiman Marcus?)

Strange the difrences in prices I can buy the 24 inch varmiter RRA complete upper cheaper than the DPMS but THE 16 inch DPMS is cheaper than the RRA.  Iregardless of price RRA sounds like the winner hands down.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top