Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2011 2:04:00 PM EDT
Just as the title states.  I'm trying to figure out who make their barrels.  I heard a rumor that it's Wilson.  Are these medium of the road quality?  I have been thinking of buying one of their 20in SS heavy barrels.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 2:08:32 PM EDT
I am pretty sure that there stainless barrels are wilson.  I had a varmit A4 in the past and it shot need an inch at 100 all of the time.  It was very heavy though and if I was buying a 20" from RRA, I would lean towards the mid weight (like the predator and National Match uppers) over the heavy.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 2:15:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/20/2011 2:19:16 PM EDT by LongTrang]
I don't have any experience with Wilson barrels.  I will have to do some research on them.  I like the idea of the weight as this will be a SAM-R/bench type rifle.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 2:21:01 PM EDT
I would love to get a BCM 20" SS but BCM never has anything in stock...
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 2:24:13 PM EDT
i have 20 inch bull barrel. best ever. love it. wilson makes them.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:50:41 PM EDT
I have a RRA ATH (18" version of their National Match barrel) and  it is a tack driver. It shoots a 1" groups all day long with Black hills 68gr MHP ammo.  I liked the Wilson barrel on my ATH that I just finished building a 16" Reece upper with a Wilson/Nordic barrel. It also shoots 1" all with quality ammo.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 4:41:33 PM EDT
Thanks for the info fellas.  This is what I had in mind...their 20" SS match with 77gr black hills.  Thoughts?  Of course a lot depends on the shooter as well.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:27:19 PM EDT
I have an RRA 24-inch stainless steel varmint eradicator with a JP Enterprises comp on the front that shoots lights out and also doubles as the rear axle of my Tahoe. It's a heavy sucker, but that's what it takes a lot of time to shoot like you really want a long range barrel to do. I also just so have it for sale on a RRA upper receiver, with total BCG, charging handle and free float guards for $500 even –– less than 300 rounds through it.

Yes the barrel is made by Wilson, air gauged and cryo treated, for what that's worth. Wilson also makes the Supermatch barrels for JP Enterprises, but supposedly to even higher specs.

I don't know who makes their chromoly barrels.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 7:18:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LongTrang:
Thanks for the info fellas.  This is what I had in mind...their 20" SS match with 77gr black hills.  Thoughts?  Of course a lot depends on the shooter as well.

My 24" varmint will do sub 1" at 100 yards all day long if I can hold it steady with 69gr and 77gr SMK's.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:53:19 PM EDT
So can this barrel perform just as well as a BCM or Douglas?  With all things being equal.  Same ammo, quality optic, decent shooter.  I know more factors can come into play.  I mean guys can nit pick details all day long.  And I suppose that's what I'm concerned about.  I hate to compare say a RAA/Wilson to a Krieger....I mean you get what you pay for right?  By the way thanks again for all the input fellas.  I'm just trying to approach this with an open mind.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:18:31 PM EDT
A 20-inch stainless steel Rock River barrel, with 1:8 Wylde chamber –– barrel and gas block –– costs $290 and is made by Wilson.

A 20-inch stainless steel JP Enterprises Supermatch barrel, with 1:8 Wylde chamber –– just the barrel alone –– costs $400 and is made by Wilson.

Both Cadillacs and Chevys are made by GMC, but you can hardly say they're the same product and quality.

By the way, I have one of each ... a 24-inch RRA, and a 22-inch JP ... both shoot lights out but there's just something that much better (maybe mental) about the JP barrel.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:21:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GentleBen:
A 20-inch stainless steel Rock River barrel, with 1:8 Wylde chamber –– barrel and gas block –– costs $290 and is made by Wilson.

A 20-inch stainless steel JP Enterprises Supermatch barrel, with 1:8 Wylde chamber –– just the barrel alone –– costs $400 and is made by Wilson.

Both Cadillacs and Chevys are made by GMC, but you can hardly say they're the same product and quality.

By the way, I have one of each ... a 24-inch RRA, and a 22-inch JP ... both shoot lights out but there's just something that much better (maybe mental) about the JP barrel.

I understand your comparison.  However that is one of my dilemmas...how much is in the mind?  Are both your barrels equal to each other?
Top Top