Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/15/2003 4:23:59 PM EDT
What do you think of this bolt&carrier group?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Taz,

This bolt/carrier is supposed to be the sh@#.  And when I checked with RRA last week they told me that all their rifles and uppers are shipping with this new bolt/carrier.

Hershey
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:15:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a new RRA enhanced bolt/carrier assembly in my newly built upper and it is running great.  The biggest differences that I could see were the extractor spring with black insert and the enclosed bottom portion at the firing pin.  Pete from Legal Transfer still has this set up for $99 I believe.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know whether it is "enhanced" or not but a RR b/c i purchase recently did not have the staking on the carrier key correctly done.  It looked like someone was feely rather puny that day as the staking was done perfunctorily and did not press into the head of the screws.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
For the same price, you can get a brand new Colt bolt/carrier assy from CDNN [url]www.cdnninvestments.com[/url]. It's a full size M16 assembly, so if having a full M16 carrier in your rifle bothers you (it's perfectly legal, but some of the nervous nellies on this board will swear to you that it isn't), just cut back the shoulder 3/8 inch w/a dremel tool or hand grinder.

Anyone who tells you that ANY of the aftermarket bolts and or carriers is well finished has never had a Colt part laid side by side with them. Every aftermarket bolt I ever saw, including Rock River, has sharp edges that cut into brass cases leaving shavings. The materials they build them with are fine; every bit as good as Colt. They just cut corners on the polishing---so if I can get a Colt part for the same price as an afteremarket piece; it's Colt every time[:D]
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Have 2 Enhanced RRA's and really like them, but I'm gonna have to check out the Colt bolts that shamayim mentioned.

Danny
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:13:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone who tells you that ANY of the aftermarket bolts and or carriers is well finished has never had a Colt part laid side by side with them. Every aftermarket bolt I ever saw, including Rock River, has sharp edges that cut into brass cases leaving shavings.
View Quote

Mmmm.  Have you ever looked at an LMT bolt? It's as smooth as butter.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 3:55:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I see no difference in Bushmaster and Colt.  I see how inferior a Colt is to an LMT unit though.  I think RRA is great if you want a budget AR15 bolt/carrier but I would pick Colt for the same price too.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 4:57:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone who tells you that ANY of the aftermarket bolts and or carriers is well finished has never had a Colt part laid side by side with them. Every aftermarket bolt I ever saw, including Rock River, has sharp edges that cut into brass cases leaving shavings.
View Quote

Mmmm.  Have you ever looked at an LMT bolt? It's as smooth as butter.
View Quote

Mike,

My comments were in re standard AR-M16 type pieces.  I'm aware of the LMT units, and would expect them to be top notch---considering their "top notch" prices [:D]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:18:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't know whether it is "enhanced" or not but a RR b/c i purchase recently did not have the staking on the carrier key correctly done.  It looked like someone was feely rather puny that day as the staking was done perfunctorily and did not press into the head of the screws.
View Quote

I just got my Varminter upper last week and noticed the same thing.  Is yours "staked" twice per screw, on the sides?  It looked like there was not metal pressed into the screws at all.  Is this okay?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#10]
roger bh that's how mine was.  I staked mine and would recommend that you do yours too.  That area is subject to a lot of vibration, shock and heat cycles so i wouldn't trust anything other than a decent staking, which takes all of a minute of ones time.

Use a punch or any other small pointy HS sort of tool and a hammer and hit it at an angle so that the key material is pushed into the head of the allen screws a little, twice on each screw and you're done.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, curt.  Will do.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mike,

My comments were in re standard AR-M16 type pieces.  I'm aware of the LMT units, and would expect them to be top notch---considering their "top notch" prices [:D]
View Quote

Quite right, Shamayim.  I was just playing the toad, I knew you weren't including the LMT. [;)]  The LMT is another beast not to be lumped in with the rest.  I would expect no less considering the incredible cost of those units, and as such, keeps them out of the hands of the majority.  I want more LMT bolts, but I had no business (so my wallet says) buying the first one.  The nickel(?) finish is so smooth, I derived pleasure just from handling it.

I have read about the supposed micropolishing that Colt performs on the bolt, something that others do not.  I like some of the non-Colt carriers (i.e. LBC/KAC/RRA), but I like to mate them with Colt bolts.  BUWAHAHAHA!!!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top