Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2004 8:06:35 PM EDT
I'm looking at building either a 16" or 18" dissipator style upper.  I want MOA to sub-MOA accuracy, but a .25" group will mean nothing over a .5" group, since I'm not good enough to wring out that much accuracy...  A .25" grouping barrel will still be at least a .5" job in my incapable hands.  Range could be anywhere from 25 to 500 yards...  But mostly between 200 - 360 yards.

With that in mind, would one of the Wilson "air gauged" barrels in 1:8 be inherently accurate enough if free floated using good ammo?  Basically, I'm trying to decide if I can/can't justify the additional expense of a WOA 18" barrel over the RRA stainless version.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:03:18 AM EDT
[#2]
What accuracy can be expected from the RRA Wilson barrels?  I also plan on going with RRA, but in a 24" barrel from ADCO.  Is .5 MOA too much to ask from these barrels?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:34:27 AM EDT
[#3]
No 1/2 MOA will definately be within the realm of possibility for either of you asking. With rounds they like the Wilson (no-relation) barrels sold by RRA are more than capable of meeting both your requirements.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#4]
To answer your question, I have a 22" barreled RRA Wilson Stainless Steel Barrel (I cut it from 24") with a 1/8 twist. With Nosler 77's in front of a healthy dose of Varget powder, it will do 1/2" all day long.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I get .5" groups out of mine as well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Wilson 1x8 20" "super bull" that would do sub-1/2 MOA with Federal GMM and sub-MOA with Q3131A (!). I recently had it turned down to an "SPR" contour and re-crowned by Steve @ ADCO, but have yet to shoot it in its new configuration. I expect at least equal performance, if not better.

For not a lot of money, the Wilson barrels sure make ME look good... and that's saying something!  Some accuracy snobs like to trash-talk the Wilson barrels, but if RRA, WOA and countless individual shooters are using them to good result, that speaks volumes to me.  Would a CLE-tuned Douglas or Krieger shoot better?  Maybe, but 1) I doubt with my skills I could ever realize the accuracy potential, and 2) there's no benefit in .25" vs .50" groups for my applications.  I'm not doing hostage-rescue work, or shooting much beyond 100 yards (and never more than 300).

YMMV.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top