Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/20/2005 9:47:03 AM EDT
Buying a RRA 16" and was looking at the 1:8 wilson air gauged match ss. Buddy said he would recommend a 1:9 cm since I shoot mid grain rounds not more than 300yds.

I am aware of the benefits of both cm and ss and will go either way so my concern is purely accuracy and fall with mid grain rounds.

Was hoping for some opinions on this.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:07:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 10:08:47 AM EDT by mattld]
Get both.

But in all honetly, both barrels will perform comparably out to that distance, with the SS barrel holding a slight edge out past 300 yards if you use a heavier grain bullet (like 77-grain).

Also, the bigger profile the better, the more accuracy potential it has and the more heat it can take before accuracy starts to suffer.

I know.....decisions.....but you can't go wrong with either.

*Edited to add: Some will say that a chrome-lined barrel will hinder accuracy but ask new-arguy how a chrome-lined barrel handles past 500 yards.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:02:27 AM EDT
Sounds like the cm is the way to go then. If I ever plan on shooting over 300 I would build a 20" with a scope in which case I would use hp.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:22:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:32:46 PM EDT
The faster twist will NOT hurt accuracy in any way. The thing is, if you EVER want to shoot the various 80 grain projectiles, you're better off with the 1/8" twist. This twist rate will stabilize the 80 grainers where as the 1/9" twist may or may not.

I'd get the 1/8" twist stainless steel barrel. Hey, guess what, I may be biased on this. I actually have three of those in my gun safe so I know where of I speak. Two are RRA, the other is a Krieger.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:12:31 PM EDT
If this weapon will never see the field, CM will work. A few nights in the woods after game animals (coyotes perhaps?) and you may well start developing rust. Most of the CM barrels I have ever owned had rust in them to one degree or another. One barrel of mine and one of my fathers were junk due to rust pitting--his from too much time in AK, mine from too much time in an unheated safe with no lubricant in the bore or chamber.

I would personally choose SS for the corrosion resistance, and the 1/8 in case I ever wanted to fire heavy bullets.
Top Top