Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/7/2005 1:53:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 2:24:38 PM EDT by INF1CAV2]
I've decide i want a varminter AR. RRA looks to be the best option for my needs and price range. I like thier Varmint A4 but would prefer a FF rail instead of a tube, which is easy enough. But i'd like the rails to extend past the gas block (so as for the gas block to not be visible). In browsing thier RRA website i didn't see any gas blocks that would work for this set up. I've never dealt with RRA. Is this something they can do for me or am i going to have to buy the rifle as is and make the mods myself?

I don't remember where the thread was but i'm basically trying to achieve the look of the SASS submitted by Remington for consideration as a new military sniper system(?). I'll try and find the thread and post a link.

Aha! Found it...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/Ekie12091941/IMG_2054.jpg
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:31:04 PM EDT
what length barrel are you planning on using?

if you use a 16" then anything in rifle length will cover the gas block and extend past it.

16"-20" is rifle length and the larue 13.2 will extend past it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:35:14 PM EDT
I plan on going with the 20" barrel from RRA. Even if i went shorter i don't think the rail would fit over thier standard weaver style gas block and i don't see that they carry any low profile gas blocks.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:39:00 PM EDT
I've dealt with ARs quite a bit but its all been military based so my experience with modifying the actual workings of them is non-existant. I'm not apposed to working on one but i would much prefer to have it shipped to me the way i want it and then make modifications later if deemed necessary.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:21:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 9:48:47 AM EDT by eklikwhoa]
i have dremeled fsb's to make a low pro gas block and if you plan on going with the bull barrel your going to have to add the dremel to the list of tools.

majority of the railed ff dont have a big enough i.d. on the barrel nut for the bull bbl. so youll have to open that up and might as well grind down the gas block while your at it.

what you could do is get the std. front sight base offered by dpms at brownells and grind it down.

another option you might want to check out is troy/samson two piece
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:42:30 PM EDT
How involved would it be to remove a Weaver style gas block and replace with a low profile one? Are they an integral part of the barrel or just bolted on?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:50:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By INF1CAV2:
How involved would it be to remove a Weaver style gas block and replace with a low profile one? Are they an integral part of the barrel or just bolted on?

there is either two pins or setscrews hoding it in place either knock out the pins or unscrew the set screws.

i have never really seen a low profile gasblock for the bullbarrel though, so make sure you know what your buying.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:31:38 AM EDT
I'll have to do some looking around and see if i can find a low profile for a bull barrel. thanks for this input.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:06:08 AM EDT
Does any one know of a company that makes low profile gas blocks for bull barrels????
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:30:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 8:32:04 AM EDT by Onslaught]

Originally Posted By INF1CAV2:
Does any one know of a company that makes low profile gas blocks for bull barrels????

Badger Ordnance makes the "SpeedBlock" that will fit under round float tubes, (Yankee Hill, PRI) but not the more common (DD, LaRue, KAC). It's possible you could get a .920 gas block from LaRue, which would fit under any of them.

My PERSONAL suggestion given your brand specification would be to go with the RRA 18" varminter. It has a mid-length gas system which would fit under any rifle length forend (with the proper gas block of course) and would not limit you to the one or two makers who offer a 13.2" forend.

Of course, what I would MOST suggest (not keeping with the RRA Varmint) is that you get an 18" mid-length SPR barrel from ADCO, then you could use a STANDARD LaRUe LowProfile gas block under a rifle length forend, and your accuracy would *probably* be very comparible.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:45:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:49:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GDS_Scott:
For those wishing to add a rail systrem to the RRA varmint please be aware that the diameter of the barrel is too large for a standard barrel nut, and as such most rail systems will not fit without modification.

This is not to say it can't happen, but it's not just an easy swap of parts.

stated above in one of my post i have ran into this problem, the dremel takes care of it quite well
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:21:07 AM EDT
I'd hate to mess with the barrel much. All reviews i've seen say the RRA Varminter is a real shooter -- easily capable of MOA and many even getting .5 MOA.

Sounds like maybe the best option is just to ho ahead and get it with the tube instead of the rail. The rail was going to be strictly for asthetics anyway since i don't plan on puting more than a scope and bipod on it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:56:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 1:47:42 AM EDT by INF1CAV2]
How many times have we (in the military) heard "think outside the box"...

So it occured to me today that maybe i don't really need a 20" barrel. Maybe i'm just making more work for myself. What will a 20" give me that an 16"-18" won't? Really not much. But a 16" or 18" will give me a mid-length gas system right? So that'll solve at least part of my problem.

How about an 18" WOA barrel with a lowpro gas block covered by a Larue 13.2 FF? Is a 20" gonna do anything that this won't?

anyone have any thoughts??

Also, can someone tell me if all the different brand and types of FF quad rails have the same basic diamaters? I like the 13.2" Larue but based on some pictures i've seen wonder if the YMH lightwight is larger?

Top Top