Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/15/2007 1:53:36 PM EDT
I have a RRA Varminter with a 20-inch barrel. Shooting 77gr SMK’s Moly (mag fed) using VV N140, prone using a bi-pod with a Leupold 6x18 scope. The best I get for 5 shot groups at 300 meters (330 yards) is 1 inch. This rifle shoots better than I expected. What I would like to find out from anyone else that has a RRA Varminter is do you get results like these? Did I just get lucky to get a shooter or is this what can be expected from RRA Varminters with the right load?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:07:37 PM EDT
That's what can be expected with the right load and the right shooter.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:18:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hoplophile:
That's what can be expected with the right load and the right shooter.

+1

those Varmiter bbls tend to outshoot most shooters

what were the weather conditions? trigger setup? any pics?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:42:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/15/2007 11:35:30 PM EDT by Bullet94]
I had to get up early to get no wind with temperatures in the 70’s. Nice clear day. The trigger is RRA’s two-stage match, which comes standard on the Varmint A4’s. I don’t have a camera so no pictures. I was loading 69gr SMK’s Moly using VV N540 before this and was easily getting 2-inch groups at 300 meters. My friend shoots in high power competition and it seems a lot of these guys like a lot of bullet speed. My 69gr load was getting 2950fps but I thought this might be pushing it so I tried the 77’s at a more reasonable bullet speed about 2600fps and it sure shoots good as long as I do my part. I’m just playing around but I like to try to get the most accurate load I can and I don’t care if it is not the fastest achievable bullet speed. By the way my 77’s load came from Sierra’s accuracy load. I had to adjust it a little probably for the Moly. Sierra lists for the accuracy load Varget for the 69’s at 2750 fps and I still have some 69’s left and some Varget so I might have to give it a try too.

I recently took another friend ( Wild Bill ) who had never shot an AR before with me and let him shoot some 77’s from the bench with a bi-pod. His first 5 shot group at 300 meters had 4 shots touching. I think he saved his target.
Top Top