Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2008 3:05:31 PM EDT
I am a predator hunter in the midwest hunting mostly coyotes and bobcats via electric call during the fall and winter months and coyotes sometimes year round. The .223 is fast and effective. I have been debating between two diffetent brands. I already own a Bushmaster Carbine but have been wanting to upgrade to a varmint setup.

Sure the RRA is cheaper dollars however I beleive I can custom order the RRA model with all the bells and whistles rather than having to add them later to the Bushmaster. But Bushmaster has a great customer service system and I already own one and know its proven reliability.

Coyote hunting is a very fun and enjoyable sport and is necassary. Over population can lead to mange and starvation if the animanls aren't controlled. And my family are cattle ranchers and loss of calves to coyotes is nothing new. Having the edge with a varmint rifle seems to be my next step.

Any suggestions or input on which model or brand would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe you should add the DPMS Panther Bull 24 special to your choices.  It can be purchased with many more or less options if desired.  MSRP of $1200 for plain jane.  It sounds like you are going to be doing most of your shooting from 300 to 800 yards (ranch).  If that is the case, I recommend paying the extra money for an adjustable butt stock and a free float rail or tube.  A match trigger is not necessary, but a good upgrade IMO.

I would also consider 308.  You will get more accuracy when strong winds blow and better killing power.  I personally like to skin coyotes and hate to walk all over looking for the carcasses.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The Rock River is a great gun. I dout you will get a better gun for hundreds more.  They come with a great trigger and will shoot great groups as well.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh and get the winter trigger guard. It really helps having that extra room when you're wearing gloves in the winter.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input. my freind brought his RRA ar15 to shoot some today and it is a very impressive gun.  I have a Browning .223 WSSM as my current coyote rifle however the nonfluted bull barrel is too heavy for walking and calling. I shot a steel plate at 200 yrds and bulls-eyed it three times, two shots were nearly the same hole. It is a very peppy gun but the weight and price for ammo are the issues.

CHecked out the DPMS website and am impressed at their options however it is two pounds heavier than the Bushy and the RRA.  i am still leaning towards the Bushy Predator or the RRA Predator, more towards RRA because of the options.

The comment of shots being 200 to 800 yrds is a bit of a stretch but it is nice to have something to reach out that far if needed. Honestly 200-300 yrds is the most I feel comfortable shooting even with my .223 WSSM.

I may be sweating the brand too much but I was just wondering about other ar15 owner's opinions.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I vote RRA but the problem with ordering from them is the wait list , So look for a local RRA dealer that has them instock
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
I vote RRA but the problem with ordering from them is the wait list , So look for a local RRA dealer that has them instock

Would you have any idea on how long the wait might be?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#7]
website says 4-8 weeks but I think people have been waiting longer, I would go to the RRA forum in the industry section and look aroud/ask
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:57:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Some wait months for their RRA.  My friend waited 6 months, but that was a year ago--call, but they told my friend 6-8 weeks, not 6 months.

If it were me, I would get the Bushy Predator.  I like their chamber better, and my Varminter turned out to be the most accurate factory AR I've owned.

Either will be a good choice.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:03:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the RRA 20" Varmint EOP, and it shoots the factory Winchester 55gr. Silver Tips into 3/8" for a five shot group. It's pretty hard to improve upon that. I waited about 5 weeks for mine.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Have you looked at the RRA coyote or preditor persuite?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#11]
call pete at ar15sales.com and see what he has in stock

+1 for RRA
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
Have you looked at the RRA coyote or preditor persuite?

Ya thats actually what i have been deciding between but when i created this discussion i went brain dead for a moment and wrote varminter instead of predator. my apologies
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#13]
RRA is a great AR.  You will more than likely have to wait for one.  I have 2 and wouldn't trade them for any other brand.  Reliable accurate and priced well.  

There's a reason folks are waiting for them.  They also have a life time warranty, bushmaster is one year.  

Good luck with what ever you end up buying but I would get the RRA.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#14]
RRA

Order from Pete at AR15sales.com or from Steve at adcofirearms.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I just say a  thread that said Adco has 4 or 5 in stock now so you may want to call him soon.

Good luck
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have the RRA 20" Varmint EOP, and it shoots the factory Winchester 55gr. Silver Tips into 3/8" for a five shot group. It's pretty hard to improve upon that. I waited about 5 weeks for mine.

Do you have any problems with the 55g being stabilized or does the heavier bullet work better in these 20" 1:8 twist barrels?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:32:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Before I started reloading, the Winchester 55gr Balistic silver tip ammo was the most accurate factory ammo I found.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:53:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I have the Bushy Varminter and the fluting brings the weight down more than I would have thought.
It is a very very accurate rifle. I shoot the Wally-World Federal 50 JHP value packs very sub-moa all day.
I put a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 scope in a LaRue mount and it is as accurate as I can be.

Again, the fluting really does help the 24 inches of steel.

Bill
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have the Bushy Varminter and the fluting brings the weight down more than I would have thought.
It is a very very accurate rifle. I shoot the Wally-World Federal 50 JHP value packs very sub-moa all day.
I put a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 scope in a LaRue mount and it is as accurate as I can be.

Bill

The BM is a 1:9 whereas the RRA is 1:8 twist.  Does that extra 1 twist make 55g that much less accurate?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:34:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is a very very accurate rifle. I shoot the Wally-World Federal 50 JHP value packs very sub-ma all day.

Bill

The BM is a 1:9 whereas the RRA is 1:8 twist.  Does that extra 1 twist make 55g that much less accurate?

No.

Bushy also offers their Predator which has their non-chromed DCM Match barrel, like the Varminter, except it is in 1/8 twist and at only 20", fluted as well.

Bill
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Look in the EE for some good stuff for sell. HINT HINT. Why buy new when U can buy slightly used CHEAP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top