Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 8:04:00 AM EDT
I'm considering purchasing another AR (would be my 2nd).  This time a RRA Varmint variant with a 24" bbl (I want it as heavy as possible out front).

Any suggestions/recommendations?  I'm looking to buy a complete rifle.  Would you recommend another brand within this price range?  Does anyone own this rifle who can provide a good/bad feedback from RRA?

My last RRA experience was a 100% winner.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy it with confidence.  The RRA Varminter is quite a tack driver, especially if you handload.  This rifle is easily capable of dime sized groups at 100 yards, and at 200 yards on a good day.

IMO, this is one of the best (if not the best) non custom varminter out there.  Mine is my favorite gun (20").  

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:06:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I do handload.  I'm considering one with a Zeiss Conquest with the 1:8 twist.  I was looking at 1:12 but figure if I ever want to shoot at 300 and beyond I'll want the heavier bullets.

Thx for the info.  Almost not worth handloading for 100yd stuff (it isn't actually) but for work beyond that...
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#3]
You'll love it since you handload, especially if you use the heavier bullets.  The 1/8 rocks with the 75 and 77 grain bthp bullets, especially with RL-15 or Varget behind them.

Sure beats the match factory stuff too.  Cost about 50% less than the black hills I believe.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#4]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=171112[/url]

Dave S
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Excellent.  Armalite likes to laud their quality, which they certainly have at least some right to do.  Not trying to start a brand war.  I'm wondering if the increase in barrel life from chrome-lining is worth the penalty in accuracy - if there is such a thing.

What would bbl life be, given moderately hot loads?  Chrome vs stainless steel?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top