Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2004 3:15:44 PM EDT
I was in my local RRA dealer today and one of the employees there gave me nothing but grief for wanting a Tactical Carry Handle for a RRA AR15. His complaint was that the rail on the tactical handle is too small to realistically fit a scope. Is this true? I know people like to put eotech holosights and other such sights on them, but a scope certainly is much longer and would require a longer rail for fitting the scope rings.

So, has anybody else had trouble fitting scopes on the Tactical Carry Handle that Rock River offers or is this guy I talked to full of it?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not put either a scope or an EOTech on that thing.  The height of it would make the cheekweld too uncomfortable for me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I would listen to the man.  Get a good BUIS instead.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmm. Sounds like the Tac. Handle is sorta pointless except for specific sights.

Sounds like if I want a scope I should get the BUIS sight. I know that there are mounts that allow a scope to be attached to a regular handle, but that seems like it'd be another pain in the butt, not to mention one more thing to buy.

Maybe I'll just go with the BUIS flip-up sight.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#5]
It is neither tactical nor a carry handle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, that's certainly true. I tried getting my fingers into the regular RRA detachable carry handle and I couldn't do it, so there's no way the "tactical carry" handle could be used as a carry handle.

Oh well, I guess they gotta call it somethin'.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't really see much use for it myself.  Too high for optics imo.  Of course my stock is too long for my taste even though I am 6' 5".  Still saving up for a collapsable one.  I only have one on mine because it came on it, will be removed promptly as soon as I can by a holosight and  flip up rear sight.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I asked the same thing to RRA this is the reply I got.

The UTE /  Tactical Carry Handle was designed to use the Aimpoint comp M or ML and their extra wide low ring

This is the mount that will work with the above upper and Tactical Carry Handle and let you cowitness with the fixed rear sight.

http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/applications/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=671769

Hope this helps. RED
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#12]
is this the handle we are talking about?  was going to get  this upper, but looks like i'll just get a flat top.

what does the 10185 look like?

www.rockriverarms.com/pimg.htm
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Yup, the one on the right is the one I was wondering about. To me it doesn't look like a scope on that thing would be any higher than a scope mounted ontop of a regular A2 carry handle.

What are your opinions on mounting a scope on an A2 handle? Is that too high also? Just curious.

Either way, I would like the flat top upper for the scope capability. I don't like so much the way BUIS sights look on the flat top, but functionality comes first. Besides, once the scope is on it, I'll be pretty happy.

Another question. Sort of a newb question. Since I want to eventually get a scope for it, would it be more practical to go the 20" barrel route rather than with the carbine? I don't intend to hunt with it, just punch holes in paper. 200 meters max. At what point does the length of the barrel start to make a difference in accuracy?

Sorry, that was a multi-point question. hinking.gif  Anyway, any opinions are appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#17]
How good is the TCH for fixed A2 rear sights??? I don't want to put anything on its rail, I just need a quality A2 rear sight for my flat top upper.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:12:23 PM EDT
[#18]
The RRA tac carry handle is useless for anyone serious enough about guns to actually read up on them like us.  Leave it along.  The guys trying to save you some bad learning experience.  Mounting the Aimpoint to one is a waste when you could use a Arms 40 BUIS instead.    Im sure it helps them seel guns to people that dont know squat about AR's cause it looks good.

The only concivable combination (and its still a sorry one for a serious gunman) I could see is putting a standard Leopold type scope on it using some of those really high see through mounts so you would still be able to use your irons.  Then your scope would be like 4 inches above the bore.  for larger targets, this would mean you could have the scope working out to like 350 yards without really compensating for bullet drop.  Small targets would be impossible to hit.  AGAIN I advise against this

Other red dots like the cheap BSA type stuff that have their own mounts would fit well on this handle.  Thats the only combination I could recommend, but then your sticking an Inferior optic on the thing.  The extra money you just put into the TAC handle could just have easily gone into a TACPOINT or just a goob BUIS
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:51:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Again,

what about using the tactical carry handle just for the rear iron sight?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:13:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:15:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Along the same lines, I bought a Elite CAR UTE.   It looks to have the same type rail as the tack carry handle.    I was also wondering what mount would work with the Aimpoint and also allow use of the Irons?

What is the 10185?   I have not been able to find that model.   I saw the Low profile rings from DSA (VTHDM) and the lever mount A.R.M.S.® #22M68.    Will either one of these work?  

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:22:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:06:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I was in my local RRA dealer today and one of the employees there gave me nothing but grief for wanting a Tactical Carry Handle for a RRA AR15. His complaint was that the rail on the tactical handle is too small to realistically fit a scope.

Damn a gun store clerk who knows what he is talking about and giving you great advice to save your money.  It must be the Apocolypse!

Seriously the guy is right - the 'Tactical Carry Handle' is a joke at best.  You're better off spending the money on a decent BUIS (like the Troy or the ARMS #40) then you can mount ANY optic you desire and they will be at the correct height.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:03:19 AM EDT
[#25]
C4iGrant    Do you have the 10185 listed on your site?   Have not been able to find it.   I would like to take a look at it before i buy.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks,

So the 10185 will allow you to co-witness or to just get the BUIS in the view of the Aimpoint on the RRA UTE and TCH models?    How much is the 10185?   I mount using a set screw i am guessing.

You plaanning on going to the CE gunshow in Richmond tomorrow?    

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:01:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Carry handles are rarely used for "carry".

I'm real happy with my RRA TCH.  I assembled a cheap rifle build that needed a riser for a cheap red dot and a rear BUIS and got the RRA TCH cheap in trade on the EE.  It fullfilled both requirements.  I liked the spare battery compartment but alas does not hold the same size batter as my cheap (Simmons) red dot.

Other than that, I would never buy one.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:43:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Same here.   I got my Elite UTE for a deal also.   I will shoot it for a while and then add an Aimpoint later.    When i get serious about it, I will cange the upper out for an A3.   Give me more toys to play with!.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:30:18 AM EDT
[#32]
I like the look of my RRA TCH on my Colt M4gery.  I plan on getting an Aimpoint with the LaRue mount, and I'll be dropping the TCH after that.  I thought it looked better than the standard A3 carry handle.  I have never carried my rifle by the "carry handle" so it serves no funtion for me.  Neither does the tac rail on the TCH, but I do like the look better.  

It's more aesthetically pleasing to some people.  Might not serve much function, but neither does most of the shit people put on their rifles.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:23:14 AM EDT
[#33]
seems as though none of you will agree with me here, but for me, it acts as a good riser for a 4x scope. I have a EoTech mounted forward on a rail that i cowitness with my irons, and then if need be I have the 4x that i can put on the reciever and not have any problems.

YMMV though as none of my friends can shoot it comfortably like that, but it does work well for me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Not to "jack" this thread, hinking.gif but I think I'm gonna forget about getting the TCH and go with a BUIS sight. I really want a quality sight though. What do you guys think of this BUIS sight?

globaltactical.com/axami/shop.php?grd=146&prd=182
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The only concivable combination (and its still a sorry one for a serious gunman) I could see is putting a standard Leopold type scope on it using some of those really high see through mounts so you would still be able to use your irons.  

Like this...?
http://vcufiles.vcu.edu/nebletteb/AR15/RSide.jpg

I used IOR high rings which allows the irons to be used by simply looking below the scope.  I could not get a comfortable cheekweld with the scope mounted directly to the flattop so this was a very good solution.  Some would say this puts the scope too high, but it is still lower than a carry handle mounted optic.  I am quite happy with it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The only concivable combination (and its still a sorry one for a serious gunman) I could see is putting a standard Leopold type scope on it using some of those really high see through mounts so you would still be able to use your irons.  

Like this...?
vcufiles.vcu.edu/nebletteb/AR15/RSide.jpg

I used IOR high rings which allows the irons to be used by simply looking below the scope.  I could not get a comfortable cheekweld with the scope mounted directly to the flattop so this was a very good solution.  Some would say this puts the scope too high, but it is still lower than a carry handle mounted optic.  I am quite happy with it.

Wow. That actually looks like it would work much better than I had previously thought. Well, BMM4A3, now I'm not sure what I want again. Thanks. I have another week to think about it before I make my order. Hmmmmmm. . . . . .
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
hr

Yeah, I know. he
Either way, I have some considering to do and luckily I have a week to do it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#39]
I should tell you.....I had to modify the TCH slightly to get what I wanted.  It seems the guys at RRA are little jerks.....instead of continuing the rail past the last slot, they decided to taper it up (I`m sure all of you with a TCH know what I`m talking about).  This means you can not use that last slot of the rail to mount a scope ring.  I took ole Mr. Dremel to this and fixed that little problem.  I have the scope rings as far back on the TCH as they will go with the M2 mounted as far back in the rings as it will go.  This brought the scope far enough back on the rifle to make it comfortable.  There is absolutely no room for adjustment but I am happy with the way it is now.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top