Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2004 6:35:18 PM EDT
Ordinarily I would use the Search function since I'm sure this topic has come up, but Search still hasn't returned.   I don't really need a cowitnessing BUIS for this rifle and would prefer having the A2 rear sights I am accustomed to on my service rifle.  The extra scope rail is a plus over the standard A3 carry handle, yet there seem to be a lot of second hand ones that turn up on Equipment Exchange which make me wonder if people have had a problem with them.  What sorts of experiences have people had with this RRA product?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The problem is merely with versatility.  The only optic that will cowitness with this handle is an Aimpoint, and only with the cheap ring included with the Aimpoint.  If you don't need to cowitness, then go ahead.  There shouldn't be anything wrong with this handle other than that, and it has a compartment for a spare Aimpoint battery.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#2]
throw your rra tactical carry handle away
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Buy something else. If you like the fixed style rear sight, look into the LMT rear sight. That and whatever optic mount you are looking into will be much better than anything and the RRA "tactical" carry handle. They take away 99% of the advantage a flat top affords you. People who own them realize this. Thats why so many are for sale.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#4]
It's just not a very practical product(Useful) IMO.

It is too high to rest your cheeks comfortably with any optics, and doesnt provide any "Tactical" advantage compared to a regular detacheable carry handle(They make rails for the top of those too)

Get a Arms #40 and be done.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:02:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes please... get an LMT, chopped carry handle, or any other BUIS you like.  One of my shooting buddies got one with his AR, and while it is a nice A2 sight, devoid of the tunnel effect of a carry handle, it's severly limited in it's application.  Anything you put on it besides the Aimpoint M2 is going to be too tall to be comfortable.  You might as well be mounting an optic on top of a carry handle.

Get the LMT.  IIRC it's now CHEAPER than the RRA TCH anyway.

With that, you have the OPTION of using a tall optic directly on the flat-top rail (EOTech, OKO, HAKKO), a short optic with a 3/4"riser,(most tube red-dots with built in mounts) a medium optic with a 1/2" riser (most red dots that require a ring) etc.  It's customizeable to your tastes rather than just the one height that you're stuck with.

On the other hand, if you already HAVE the RRA TCH, by all means DON'T throw it away.  Try and sell it on the EE (for a loss of course, the resale value of them is low) or contact Kurt at KKF over in the industry forum and see if he could chop it to a BUIS.  He does carry handles for $35, and he does an EXCELLENT job.  I don't see why he couldn't do a TCH too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#6]
If you already have it then use it. I do and have no complaints with it.I use the standard Aimpoint ring which attaches  plenty tight and cowitness is fine.Now if you are going to jump out of airplanes,or off of moving vehicles, or maybe thump somebody in the skull with it you will probably want a more substantial unit.

If you have the money and there is in fact some likelihood that you will abuse it to the point of failure there are better options.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I removed my RR TCH and added a BUIS to cowitness with the Holosite. I keep the TCH as a spare iron sight in the event I want to remove the optics and shoot nekkid. I tried mounting the optics on the TCH and it was too high for my personal preference. It sucks as a carry handle anyway, too small for my big hands...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top