Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/2/2004 5:56:56 AM EST
Hey all...I'm looking at building my first AR, and have decided on a carbine. Rather than going the standard "M4 Clone" route, I'd like to put something together a little unique.

I was looking at a Shotgun News from a few months back and they had an article focusing on RRA rifles, specifically Mid-Length carbines. One of the rifles pictured was a midlength A3 with the rail gas block and the RRA Extended mounting platform installed. I thought this gave the rifle a really unique and cool look.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/extplat.gif

Anything bad about them? I'd use it primarily for iron sight shooting, but may add a red dot sight in the future. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:59:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2004 5:59:49 AM EST by Duffy]
Yeah but then you'll have to be careful what rings you use for mounting optics on that thing, seems rather tall to me and good for Aimpoints only
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:59:42 AM EST
That may be ok because if I do put an optic on it, I'll probably put an Aimpoint or similar one on it.

But like I said, It will pretty much be an iron sight weapon, just looking for something different.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:43:12 AM EST
Any more insight guys? Help a AR mewb out
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:22:25 AM EST
Man, that thing looks ugly!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:34:33 AM EST
I can't imagine why you would want to get that if your intention is to use iron sights only. The entire point of that rail, if there is one at all, is to provide mounting options for optics. If you aren't going to mount any on it, why add the expense and weight? And if you really do want a rail that extends all the way across the receiver to the front sight base / gas block, there are other options that are probaby better (i.e. not as high and thus more flexible in the optics you can mount).

You are free to do what you want, but if I were you I would not buy this because it looks cool or different. Instead I would get a regular A2 upper if I knew I would never want to mount an optic, or an A3/A4 flat-top upper with a standard carry handle if I wanted to shoot irons but thought there was a chance down the road that I would want to mount optics.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:06:36 PM EST
How about a quad rail fore end as an alternative? More flexibility and can be used with either an A2 or a flat top receiver.
Top Top