Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2006 2:46:59 PM EDT
So I'm intrigued by the Stag AR but I see a RRA Entry Tactical from EagleFirearms for $779 w/ Std. removal carrier? What are your opinions of this rifle from this company?

Edited to add: I should mention that since I'm a newbie this will be my first AR and as such I'm looking for a rifle already assembled since I think that will be easier than trying to configure one from the ground up. The only thing that plays on my mind from time to time is optics and I notice that this RRA model has a "detachable" carry handle. I'm assuming that means that it's mounted to the rifle in such a way that I can take it off and put optics on. Am I wrong on this? I know there are aftermarket rear aperture sights and front posts with tritium for low light shooting and that's kind of cool. I don't think I would want to put a scope on this one. Any feedback is appreciated very much.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Eagle Firearms is a great company to deal with.  Bought my RRA CAR A4 from them and was very pleased with the rifle and constant communication with them.  They answered all emails and messages.   ALOT of discussion can be found on the site here regarding all the manufacturers.  From what I have read hundreds of times, nearly all the major brands are well liked by those who own them.  Nothing but good things about RRA product and customer service for the most part.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#2]
You can remove the detachable carry handle via two cross bolts it includes sight but you should be able to order it without that part (detachable carry handle) it will save you some money which you can choose a BUIS with. Which IMO is a better deal since you cant carry the weapon by the handle cant cowitness 2out of the BIG 3 red dot optics on the carry handle - has a tapped hole but its not large enough to put any battery known to man in ??? To be honest I shipped mine off to a guy here on the boards for the cost of shipping saw no immediate or long term use for it. I own two RRA Entry Tacticals if you knew what a miserly bastard I am that would speak volumes !  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not understanding. Like I said, optics is something I've considered but I kind of want that classic AR sight. If I get the model with the detachable carry handle (which includes the rear sight), I cannot mount any other optics on the rifle when the handle is removed? That particular configuration does not come with any sort of rails or anything that is beneath the carry handle, correct? If I remove the handle, that's it right? Nothing else can go on? I suppose the Tac-mount would be the better option as it provides me with a rear sight and the option of a scope or some other optic mount as well, correct? Someone please take mercy and explain everything to me slowly. I really have no idea what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#4]
$779.00 is a great price in my opinion. I paid $925.00 for mine but I had some custom laser engraving/serial number put on it.

Here is my RRA Entry Tactical:

As you can see, there are two "knobs" on the carry handle. You turn the knobs and it "unlocks" the carry handle from the rail. There is a rail under the carry handle that you can mount anything that is compatible with a Military Standard 1913 rail.

Here is an illustration that shows the various accessories that are available to the military for their M4's. As you can see, they have an ACOG (Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight) mounted on the rail that is below the standard carry handle.

Here is an M4 with an AIMPOINT red dot sight mounted on the rail that is below the carry handle:

I hope this clarifies things for you. You can't go wrong with RRA in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, here is how I did this. After driving myself nuts reading and reading and procrastinating the purchase because I thought I would get the answer for the perfect AR for my first, I just order the RRA Entry Tactical with the Dominator EOTech mount, that way I have a basic iron sight, and later If I want to I can get an EOTech sight, and just mount it on the Dominator EOTech mount.  In the meantime how did I do anyone?  I call it the simple but upgradeable AR...  You won't regret your choice.

I also went with the Magpul M93B Modular Stock System and am very happy with this product.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a RRA Car A4 and can't believe I wondered if I made the right choice while waiting for it to come (they were finishing up DEA orders when I ordered mine so it took a few weeks to come in).  Get it and have fun shooting.

Rob
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:02:57 AM EDT
[#7]
making a good choice, RRA is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:27:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Now you all are really going to think I'm stupid. What's an EOTech? hinking.gif

Nevermind, I see it. It looks like EagleFirearms sells the EOTech mount separately, so, theoretically, I could go with the Entry Tactical with Std. removable carry handle, and then later buy the EOTech mount and the EOTech sight if I wanted to switch them out since the EOTech mount can itself be mounted onto the upper after I remove the carry handle, correct?

**edited for clarity**
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:30:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Now you all are really going to think I'm stupid. What's an EOTech?

Click here
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:04:23 AM EDT
[#10]
The RRA Dominator EOTech mount/iron rear sight, is designed to be used together, if the DEA Agents like it, what more could I ask for.  

This is why I chose the Dominator mount/sight, not to mention it is a "free option" when I purchased the rifle from Rock River Arms, another plus to save $135.00.The cats meow, and I love the tight fit between the upper and lower.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:21:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I LOVE my RRA

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:27:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Great rifle, questionable handle.

The Tac Handle only really works with something like an Aimpoint.

I'd avoid it.   Buy a Troy BUIS instead.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I LOVE my RRA

Same here!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Alright, question. Another. Is the EOTech only mountable on the Dominator EOTech mount or can it be mounted standard rails? The reason I ask is because if I can get the "classic" AR look with standard carrier and then just remove it to attach the EOTech sight, I would prefer that option. But if the EOTech can only be mounted on the Dominator mount, I suppose I would rather go with that option instead. Until I buy the holographic sight, I can still use the rear sight. It just won't have that "classic" look to it but I guess it wouldn't if you were going to eventually go all out with it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I just picked up my second AR, the RRA Tactical Entry.  It's a great rifle.  I went without the tac handle and picked up an ARMS 40L BUIS and an Aimpoint.  I'm glad that I did not get the tac mount.  I did not see a use for it.  Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the thing to look out for with the EOTech is that if you have any eye problems (astigmatism, etc), you may have problems.  The EOTech is a great sight, but I have some minor eye problems and could not get the EOTech to work for me, that's why I went with the Aimpoint instead.  Good choice on the RRA.  

Edit to add:  the Eotech can mount directly to the rails on the flat top without an additional mount.  I'm not familiar with the RRA EOTech mount, but I do know that it will work without it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I Just went through the same questions about ordering my first AR. I chose the Mid lenght RRA. It comes with the tach handel but I traded it for the Dominator mount. I went with the Dominator so I would have a BUIS that co-witnessed with My EOtech. If you take your handle off you will also take off your rear sight so you would need to by one to use the flat top.

I ordered my RRA and it should be here by Monday. I will let you know what I think but I think I will be happy with my set up. I allready have a Eotech 552 and a M3x light and 2000 rounds of ammo I just need my AR and I can have some fun.

Later
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Alright, question. Another. Is the EOTech only mountable on the Dominator EOTech mount or can it be mounted standard rails? The reason I ask is because if I can get the "classic" AR look with standard carrier and then just remove it to attach the EOTech sight, I would prefer that option. But if the EOTech can only be mounted on the Dominator mount, I suppose I would rather go with that option instead. Until I buy the holographic sight, I can still use the rear sight. It just won't have that "classic" look to it but I guess it wouldn't if you were going to eventually go all out with it.

The eotech mounts to a rail systemt that is shown in the picture below.  I am not certain if these are called 1913 rails or picatiny but someone will most likely correct me on this
www.copquest.com/10-6100_extra2.jpg  Notice also at the right part of the picture there are those rails on the top of the rifle.  The eotech can be mounted to those.
Anyways, the eotech mounts to the rails similiarly to how the flashlight and the VFG(Vertical Fore Grip), the thing that is in between the flashlight and the magazine,  Now the eotech can mount to the domanitor mount by that single slit on the rail www.skdtac.com/images/misc/dom_gun_tl2.jpg

Here are some more pictures of the rails
www.dctechs.com/f4.jpg

You can get the entry and get the carry handle then upgrade to the eotech at a later date and just remove the carry handle.

Also have you ever owned a gun before?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:38:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You can get the entry and get the carry handle then upgrade to the eotech at a later date and just remove the carry handle.

Also have you ever owned a gun before?

Thanks for the pics. Yeah, I own two pistols and an SKS but the AR system is one of those mystical, alien platforms that I must profess complete ignorance of. I have only become interested in one within the last couple months and figured this would be the place to get all my questions answered. I understand that the rails are used for mounting accessories. I just didn't know if there were rails beneath the removable carry handle on the RRA entry tactical. I can tell you I don't have the money right off the bat for an EOTech sight. However, that is something that I would most definitely be interested in later down the road. In the meantime, I'm kind of partial to the "classic" AR look w/ the carry handle. If there are rails beneath the handle, I can go with that model for now, and just remove it when I decide to buy and EOTech sight to mount the sight directly onto the upper. I understand that this configuration would deprive me of a rear sight unlike the Dominator set-up which has a rear sight behind the mount for the EOTech sight. At this point, that's not really an issue for me. I don't need to get too fancy from the start. I was just trying to think of later down the road. I'll probably go with the standard model...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:41:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm in the middle of asking the same exact questions.  (This is my first post on the AR side, I've been on the AK side since I joined).  Anyway, I'm looking at an Entry Tactical as well and like the look of the carry handle.  I'm also not sure about holographic sights in the future.  I'm pretty old school, I like my AKs with irons only.  I'll probably going to go with the carry handle as well.  Anybody care to talk me out of my decision?  I'm still throwing around ideas.  Thanks.

ETA:  What about the differences between the tactical carry handle and the standard A3?  I see there's a rail on the tactical, any advantages?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I LOVE my RRA

pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL752/3145921/6403888/119351292.jpg

niiiiice set up sydney
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#21]
wow . ..  fp2000h  where do I start?

okay the "tactical carry handle" that comes with the m4 entry tactical . . . .
the tactical carry handle has rail on top of it.  The carry handle was designed specifically so the user could mount an aimpoint sight on it.  This would allow for what is called a lower third co witness.  This means that the shooter can have the aimpoint mounted with the aimpoint's red dot right over the front sight post.  If the shooter desires, he can use the aimpoint to aim.  However, if the aimpoint breaks/malfuntions, then the shooter can immedietly transition back to the iron sights.  (I don't know if I explained that very well)  

You can remove the tactical carry handle as stated here by others.  Under the carry handle is ANOTHER rail.  You could mount an eotech or trijicon acog on this rail.  You were saying if you did that, then you couldn't have a rear sight.  This is where BUIS comes in.

BUIS (Back Up Iron Sights) . . .
There are many different BUIS out there.  (do a search on here and you'll find tons of info)  There are fixed BUIS and folding BUIS.  Anyway, if you mounted an eotech or acog on your flattop rail, then you'd probably want to mount a BUIS of your choice behind it.  This way, you'd still have that rear sight you like so much, and if your optics ever malfuntioned, you'd be able to flip up your BUIS and use the iron sights.

The dominator mount . . .
This was designed specifically for use with the eotechs.  This allows the shooter to mount the eotech with what is basically a fixed BUIS behind it.  I think most people on here would agree you'd be better off mounting the eotech directly to your flattop and mounting a seperate BUIS behind it.  This would give you more flexibility.  

Hope this helps and it's not too late.  Any questions feel free to ask.  Also, look around and try the search function.  Welcome to ar15.com buddy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#22]
sounds like a great deal.  I've bought 3 RRA lowers and some other items off them and had great service.

Can't go wrong with Eagle.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#23]
+1 on the RRA
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top