Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/20/2006 6:38:36 AM EDT
I'm in the process of ordering the rifle above. I'm planning on ordering it with the detachable tactical carry handle and fixed front sight.  With this setup....  Will I run into any mounting issues if I want to add the Leupold scope mentioned above down the road?  Will the front sight be visable or interfere with the scope in anyway?  Would it make sense to order the detachable front sight instead of the fixed?      
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:17:31 AM EDT
[#1]
the front sight will be a faint blur, the "tactical" carry handle on the other hand will be useless.

too tall to mount optics comfortably and securely
heavy
neither tactical nor carry handle
not used when leupy is mounted to the flattop
makes cost of rifle go up
did i mention useless?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Mike- You ordered the exact same rifle that I have! I dont know about the particular optic you are mounting, but I put a Trijicon Accupoint 21R on mine. The tactical carrying handle is indeed useless. I had an eye relief issue with my optic, so I purchased a Larue tactical Extra Eye Relief monut (LT139) for mine. It cost me $215, but I can easily sell the Tactical Carrying handle for $80 thru gunbrokeror the EE. Have fun.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:39:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, so I would actually remove the tactical handle mount in order to mount the Leupold?  I was thinking i would just mount the scope forward of the rear sight on the tactical handle.  

Since I haven't place my order yet.... Should I opt for the detachable front sight instead of the fixed??  Wouldn't that give me the best of both worlds??  Any cons to detachable front sights (other then them coming off at the wrong time)?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:04:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ok, so I would actually remove the tactical handle mount in order to mount the Leupold?  I was thinking i would just mount the scope forward of the rear sight on the tactical handle.  

Since I haven't place my order yet.... Should I opt for the detachable front sight instead of the fixed??  Wouldn't that give me the best of both worlds??  Any cons to detachable front sights (other then them coming off at the wrong time)?

I would not opt for the detachable front sight, but I WOULD opt for NO rear sight (if that's an option).  Then I'd do more research until I found the best folding BUIS for my needs.  

I like the ARMS #40, but I don't know how that would work with the Leupy.  #40L, Troy, MI, there are lots of options, and all of them will be a FAR better choice than the "Tacticrap" thing, or even a detachable carry handle.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Silly question I'm sure.... But if I dont opt for the detachable front sight how do you remove the fixed front sight to install and flip up sight??
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:47:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The CQ/T will be WAY too high if you mount it on top of the RRA tactical handle. Your best bet is to remove the carry handle and mount the optic straight to the flattop pic rail.

As for a detachable front sight, if you want to use the CQ/T you won't even notice the front sight at 3x (very faint blur) and the height of the CQ/T integral mount will put the front sight very low in the reticle at 1x. Trust me, you'll forget it's there after 30 seconds of looking through the scope.

Here's a photo of my CQ/T on a flattop upper. Note how high it already is without being placed on top of a carry handle.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, thanks for all of your help.  This thread really helps alot.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Mike- When you remove the tactical carrying handle- the rear site comes off with it, so don't worry about the previous post where the guy (correctly) states opt without the rear site if you can.

Bill
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok, thanks Bill.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is what mine looks like.  I have the exact gun that you are ordering...I think?

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Silly question I'm sure.... But if I dont opt for the detachable front sight how do you remove the fixed front sight to install and flip up sight??

If that question was directed to me, then I meant folding REAR sight.  You should have no problems with the fixed front sight.  I don't using a Trijicon Accupoint TR21R that's 1.25-4x.

I use an ARMS #40A as my rear BUIS.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Dupe darn-it...  Sharing the PC with my 3 1/2yr old...  She's supposed to be on Disney.com, but she hit "back" and "enter" before I noticed.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#13]
This is exactly my setup with a GG&G flip up front sight.  I absolutely love it and would not go back.  PM me with your email and I can send some pictures.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top