Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 7:40:14 AM EDT
just picked up a supposed to be all original RRA LAR-15 for my daughter.it has LEO marked lower,A2 upper and a M4 profile barrel.called RRA and the nice lady there said it left them as a stripped lower.the barrel is stamped "OSC" or "DSC"  "CHROME"  "1-9".i know it's a 1-9 twist,but is this a chrome lined barrel or not ? i searched all through this site looking for barrel markings like this but never found any like it,hope one of you more knowledgable folkls might know ....thanks

ETA : i got a really good deal on the rifle,traded a Hesse recievered STG58 clone for it,only had $350 in the Hesse.(yeah,i was glad to be rid of it,although after i polished the feedramps it worked ok).so i'm not really mad that it's not a RRA factory gun,just wondered if it was chrome lined or not.my daughter gets a little nuts on the trigger sometimes and i want it to last her awhile.hanks
ETA(A) yep.....used Quicksilver's idea....it's chromelined.....thanks
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:48:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like an Olympic Durachrome barrel.  I have one at home right now and can check it when I get home later tonight.  IIRC, mine is stamped DSC or something like that.  It should have a chrome chamber and bore.  

Update to follow.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:12:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 2 RRA barrels and neither one has any markings.  I don't think RRA marks their barrels.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Same here - no markings on my RRA barrels. Is the carrier in the upper an RRA "enhanced" one or a normal one? I think your phone call to RRA pretty much tells you all that you need to know. You need to go back to the dealer and demand that he or she make it right. Unfortunately, as it stands, you have a parts gun with no warranty from RRA.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Checked both of my RRA barrels, no markings at all on them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#5]
The DSC markings are from Double Star Co. They are a branch of J&T Distributing. Its definitely not an RRA, because RRA doesn't mark their barrels. Since its marked Chrome, it should be chrome lined barrel and chamber.

It should be a decent quality barrel, not great, but good enough for most people.

An easy way to tell if it is chrome, (if its not marked) is to take the muzzle device off and see if you can see a chrome ring around the crown. Or look at the chamber and see if you can see the chrome ring in the chamber.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Just to correct myself, my Oly durachrome barrel is stamped DCB 5.56, so you barrel wouldn't be Oly.  For future reference, I attached a pic.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have 2 RRA barrels and neither one has any markings.  I don't think RRA marks their barrels.

Actually, that isn't exactly true.  I don't know if RRA does it or not, but somewhere along the line it ends up with a stamp telling the twist rate.  "9A" if I remember correctly.  It is back near the barrel extension.  In fact, I think it may end up getting covered up by the barrel nut.

As far as the what the original poster has, it could be a J&T kit.  "DSC" equals Double Star Corp in my book.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#8]
My RRA mid-length is stamped 'N9C' near the barrel nut. There is also a tiny 'C'  stamped on the bottom of the FSB under the sling mount ears
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:40:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Pete-in-NH posted some time ago that RRA does mark their barrels, at least for the last 2 years or so. As others have stated, it is commonly located at/near/under the barrel nut. The only thing I remember is that the "C" indicated chrome lined.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, that isn't exactly true.  I don't know if RRA does it or not, but somewhere along the line it ends up with a stamp telling the twist rate.  "9A" if I remember correctly.  It is back near the barrel extension.  In fact, I think it may end up getting covered up by the barrel nut..

That's probably a true statement.  I was refering to the lack of markings on the muzzle end of the barrel, since that seemed to be the location that the original poster was refering to.  I should have been more specific.  I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:54:47 AM EDT
[#11]
My RRA 16"ss flat top has W8S on the bottom foreward of the barrel nut.
Foreward of that marking is a stamp that looks like  a sort of crown.
Anybody know what that is? Proof mark ,Air gauging ??

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top